3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Nav/radio display doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:53 PM
itsUhHemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmizer
Ok, just for ****s and giggles, does anybody know of any aftermarket double din radios that will fit exact to the bezel and mounts? Looking for an AM/FM, Sat, Nav, and 6 player cd combo unit. I can't see spending $1600 for a factory unit. Can't see spending that much for any radio period.
Already told ya.. go to a local stereo shop and see what they have to offer. They make ALL types of aftermarket double dins. If you don't have a stereo shop any where near you then check craigslist or ebay or something.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Problem is, Dodge didn't use a DD radio in the RAM until 2006. All of the pre-'06 radios, including the SAT model, are basically a "din-and-a-half". You can replace it with any aftermarket single din plus an adapter. Or if you want to keep navigation, you can get Weedahoe to make you a DD center bezel and use an aftermarket DD radio. Upside to the second option is that you'll have a much bigger screen and a better operating navigation system. Downside, is that it's a bit more work and money (still far cheaper than the OEM unit though).

Old 01-10-2013, 02:52 PM
nateroach
Veteran

Talk with Weedahoe (forum member), he does custom double dins for the early 3rd gens. then you can drop in that aftermarket double din.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Snowmizer

Thanks Nateroach, and Brandon Anderson. My ignorance as I really don't know what a DD radio is. I was assuming that's what I had per itsUhHemi. I really don't know the difference between DD and SD and D1/2. I am guessing that this LED issue I have is internal and not a wiring issue. I like the idea of the bigger Nav.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star
Thanks Nateroach, and Brandon Anderson. My ignorance as I really don't know what a DD radio is. I was assuming that's what I had per itsUhHemi. I really don't know the difference between DD and SD and D1/2. I am guessing that this LED issue I have is internal and not a wiring issue. I like the idea of the bigger Nav.
The "Din" size is basically the height of the radio (a gross oversimplification, for more details, start here: wiki). Single din (SD) is the shortest, and the standard size of most aftermarket radios. Double Din (DD) is the tallest, and almost every full-screen (not slide out) navigation unit is a DD. Din-and-a-half (D.5 or D1/2, however you want to abbreviate it), is not very standard at all, and on top of that, Dodge used a rounded-corner unit that does not fit any Din specification exactly. "itsUhHemi" is incorrect in assuming you can fit a DD radio, as yours is currently a D1/2. As I stated, you have two choices: SD with an adapter, or DD with a custom center bezel (a lot easier than it sounds). I am unsure if any aftermarket MFG makes a D1/2 radio anymore (I've seen a couple pop up over the years, but it's very uncommon), and even if they did, it still would not fit the odd-cornered opening Dodge used.

Confronting your current issue more directly...
When you "can't see" the screen, do you mean that the screen is on, but there is no backlight (if you look VERY closely, you can see the display is still on, but it is very dim), or is it off completely (no display whatsoever). If it's a backlighting issue, there is possibly a dimming wire loose behind the dash. It would be highly unlikely, but it's possible, and would be cheaper to fix than replacement. If it's off completely, you'll need a new radio period.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Snowmizer

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson

Confronting your current issue more directly...
When you "can't see" the screen, do you mean that the screen is on, but there is no backlight (if you look VERY closely, you can see the display is still on, but it is very dim), or is it off completely (no display whatsoever). If it's a backlighting issue, there is possibly a dimming wire loose behind the dash. It would be highly unlikely, but it's possible, and would be cheaper to fix than replacement. If it's off completely, you'll need a new radio period.
What happens is when I turn the key on, the radio will light up as normal. As soon as I start it, the face will go completely black. Then whenever it decides to, it will come on as usual. When it is black, none of the controls will work. It will stay on whatever station it was on when I shut it off before. when it does light up, it works fine.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

What happens is when I turn the key on, the radio will light up as normal. As soon as I start it, the face will go completely black. Then whenever it decides to, it will come on as usual. When it is black, none of the controls will work. It will stay on whatever station it was on when I shut it off before. when it does light up, it works fine.
Yeah, time for replacement.

Quick Reply: Nav/radio display doesn't work