3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

06 Super 44 turndowns?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 10:22 PM
RamFireman
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Super 44 turndowns?

I have a single in dual out super 44 Flowmaster on my 06 Ram, and I love it. I know you might think it's dumb and uncalled for, but I'd love to have them a bit louder than they are. I've heard that having turndowns put on it will make it much louder, but I want you guys' opinions before I do anything. Any good ways to make my muffler any louder? Open pipes isn't an option, unfortunately, so that's out of the question.

Any and all opinions/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Nate_sorenson
Veteran

i dont think anyone hear will judge you for tryin to be louder! the louder the better!!!!!!

not any help lol i dont have a clue about turn downs, go buy a 65 dollar cherry bomb extreme, that. is. loud.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:02 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

I thought about going cherry bomb, but I didn't know how they sound. I just got the flowmaster about 2 months ago. Does the cherry bomb have the sound low deep throaty sound? I want something that sounds good and is extremely loud, not something that's super loud but sounds like crap like the old Fords that drive up the road. :P

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

I've also seen things about going straight pipe after the cats. Would that have the same low deep and throaty sound as my Flowmaster super 44? I want it LOUD. I mean LOUD. I'd rather not have to replace the muffler, but I'll look at almost anything. I just want it deep, throaty, and able to set off car alarms if I floor it. :P

EDIT:

HEY!!! What about these? I'd LOVE to be able to use the Flowmasters around the people that will gripe, and open it up out on the highway!

http://www.dmhperformance.com/index.html

Last edited by RamFireman; 01-13-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:27 AM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An E cutout is the best of both worlds really because it essentially allows you to run both muffled and straight pipe exhaust with the push of a button. Personally I've heard too many horror stories about Flowmasters so I would never buy one even if it was proven to be the loudest muffler in the world. But I guess the rust holes help it be louder lol.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM
dakotatrevor
Professional

My truck came with a single in, dual out flo-pro with pipes all the way to the back. They rusted at a weld over the axle, so I cut them off at the muffler, so there was 2 short pipes pointed straight back. That was pretty loud and droned pretty bad, so I put 2 turn downs right at the muffler, now it sounds pretty good. Only thing I don't like is the exhaust can kinda swirl back up near the cab when the wind is right.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM
RamFireman
Amateur

Originally Posted by 08HEMI1500
An E cutout is the best of both worlds really because it essentially allows you to run both muffled and straight pipe exhaust with the push of a button. Personally I've heard too many horror stories about Flowmasters so I would never buy one even if it was proven to be the loudest muffler in the world. But I guess the rust holes help it be louder lol.
I got the stainless steel Super 44 so I wouldn't have the rusting problems. I'm also in Tennessee where it doesn't snow all that much, so I don't have to worry about the salt on the roads like people up north do. I'd love to know where the people that say they rust out are located.

So, E cutout. Would you go with the ones I posted, QTP cutouts, or some other brand? I don't want to spend a bunch of money for them to break.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Izero
Champion

I'll stick with my Magnaflow.... the MDS will make that cherry bomb sound like trash though..

Old 01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
08HEMI1500
Record Breaker

DMH is the best from what I've heard. Weedahoe runs two of them

Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM
RamRod08
Amateur

I don't have the super 44 but have the similar 40 series. Idk how loud you are looking for but putting turndowns on it will definitely make it scream. The welds at the muffler and tail pipes rusted out on mine eliminating everything after the muffler...essentially the same as turn downs. I thought it was cool for a week and then got tired of listening to my door panels and windows rattle. You couldn't even have a conversation with someone in the back seat going down the highway. Not for me.

Quick Reply: 06 Super 44 turndowns?