3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Long Term Storage for 2500 Questions/Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 11:12 AM
XAuburnCLRX
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long Term Storage for 2500 Questions/Help

Guys and Gals,
I am deploying with my unit for 10 months. During 7 of those months my truck will be in my garage. What should I do to help it keep? My wife is NOT interested in driving it because it is a larger vehicle than she is comfortable driving.
Here are the truck details:
2007 Quad Cab 2500, 6 speed, 5.9L

There was another thread on the 4th gen site that mentioned these as good ideas. Just want to confirm from our model group. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/4th-gen...he-winter.html
Fill the tank up with fuel and add a high end fuel stabilizer
Wash it
Do NOT set the parking brake
Etc

Is there anything else that is recommended? I am already planning on doing the above mentioned things along with an oil change. Is is really a good idea to put a full tank of fuel in it? I have heard the exact opposite.

Thanks!
Chris

Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I'd pull the battery cable (so it doesn't discharge) and put it on stands (so the tires don't get flat spots). Sounds like it'll have to move after your deployed, which would be problematic since both of those mitigators will render the truck immovable. Backup plan would be to get the wife to take it around the block a couple times every 4 weeks or so to keep the battery charged up and the tires round. Diesel fuel isn't likely going to give you a problem.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM
XAuburnCLRX

Thanks. I am trying to convince her that she can drive it. She isn't on board. However, fuel comments are noted and the battery cable. Working on getting stands for it at a decent price or maybe even from a friend.
Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2019, 01:32 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if you can't get stands...inflate the tires to the max inflation pressure noted on the tire. This is what manufacturers recommend for vehicles that sit on car lots for extended times.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:57 AM
XAuburnCLRX

So update to this, I am trying to acquire some stands but thanks for the note on tire inflation. I got the P2509 code this morning (ECM/PCM) thing. Most all threads I have read refer to checking all battery connections, check battery load, if needed, replace BOTH batteries.
So my follow up question is should I replace them now, before this deployment or risk it and do it after?
I am also considering replacing them and possibly getting a battery tender for it.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Old 12-11-2019, 10:03 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,197 Likes on 2,949 Posts

I would just put a couple battery tenders on there, and leave them disconnected. (from the truck, not the tenders. )

Old 12-11-2019, 12:17 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

don't buy batteries now. don't replace batteries based on a dtc. have the batteries load tested.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:20 PM
XAuburnCLRX

Thanks. Having them tested today on my way home from work. Still leaning towards waiting until I am back to replace unless load test comes back too low.

Quick Reply: Long Term Storage for 2500 Questions/Help