3rd Gen RAM general discussion/NON-tech This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen RAM. Non tech related RAM threads belong here.

Removing Chrome wheel covers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:14 AM
Max00racer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Chrome wheel covers?

I was thinking of removing those plastic chromed wheel covers and painting the wheel underneath it. Two things tho, once you take that wheel cover off...can you put it back on? and how does the wheel look behind that cover? Oyyea, and also...wats the easiest way to remove that thing?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM
BigSkyDodge
Rookie
Default RE: Removing Chrome wheel covers?

Sorry buddy, 49 hits and no reply's that sux. Guessing that you are referring to the caps/covers that cover the lugnuts... If so, just pretend you have a flat tire and you will find out how to take it off~ then goes back on with a little kick from the heel of your boot or fist and will then also know what it looks like under it and then can decide if you want to paint or keep the covers.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Scootr
Professional

If you're speaking of the chrome plastic cladding you'll destroy it trying to get it off. I would sell them and get what you want instead.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Max00racer
Veteran

not the ones that cover the lugs...but the 20" chrome wheels...the wheel itself is not chromed...its a plastic cover that is chromed. I want to remove that and paint the wheel underneath it. But idk wat the wheel looks like underneath that so I dont want to break those chrome covers when taking them off.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:17 AM
second Hemi

I want to do the same thing with the chrome 20's. I talked to a salesman today and he said they are just a plain wheel underneath, but I don't really think he had a clue. I like the dodge brushed aluminum wheels but don't want to break off the covers until I know for sure whats underneath. I can't imagine Dodge would cast two different 20" wheels when it looks like the chrome covers would fit right over the brushed aluminum wheels. Let me know if you find anything out

Old 12-30-2007, 01:57 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

y not paint your wheels like helopilot did?

Old 12-30-2007, 04:11 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on scootr. A set of of the stock plastic chromes are going pretty easy for $600 + shipping on eBay, so just get you a set of good rims and sell yours. You won't end up paying too much for it. I think I know what you're wanting to do, remove the chrome, paint the rims, and if it doesn't look good, put the chrome back on. I was thinking of this too, but had numerous people say that the chrome plastic would not be useable once it was taken off. I'm saving for a new set of 22"s now after deciding not to go ahead with that plan... I like my wheels, but I just forsee them looking bad 3 or 4 or 5 years down the road. A set of real chrome rims will just put my mind at ease...

Old 12-30-2007, 11:21 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

y not paint your wheels like helopilot did?
Ditto that. He dida really nice job.

Old 04-01-2013, 03:24 PM
stang9gt

Originally Posted by bwhite757
+1 on scootr. A set of of the stock plastic chromes are going pretty easy for $600 + shipping on eBay, so just get you a set of good rims and sell yours. You won't end up paying too much for it. I think I know what you're wanting to do, remove the chrome, paint the rims, and if it doesn't look good, put the chrome back on. I was thinking of this too, but had numerous people say that the chrome plastic would not be useable once it was taken off. I'm saving for a new set of 22"s now after deciding not to go ahead with that plan... I like my wheels, but I just forsee them looking bad 3 or 4 or 5 years down the road. A set of real chrome rims will just put my mind at ease...
Real chrome rims are the ones that will go to **** from weather/road salt and chips causing rust/peeling. These factory dodge ones are made the way they are for one because the wheels are a lot lighter, and two the weather will not affect them. Your aftermarket chrome wheels you are talking about, are a lot heavier and will hurt your gas milage

Old 04-01-2013, 03:39 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not just purchase the RAM SRT-10 Wheels and be done with it...? (Except that they are 22" instead of 20")

Those things polish up REALLLLLY Nicely from what I've heard, or you can powdercoat them and be done with it...

Last edited by Izero; 04-01-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing Chrome wheel covers?