3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dont buy gas on may 15th

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 03:37 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: dont buy gas on may 15th

if i was horribly concerned about saving gas money i wouldnt have bought what i did. I'm not justifying the cost at all i think it horrible what the oil companies do i'm just saying i can't bitch toooo much due to the fact i could have bought a 35 mpg car vs my truck but hey i'm not giving this truck up for anything, if i'm running tight on my gas funds i'll ride my harley

Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 AM
clyde72

Well never mind that the Oil companys have had record profits for the last 5 or 6 years.

What about this.
What is the basic difference between the Model T Ford engine and the Hemi or 4.7 or what ever that you have in your truck today?
Nothing, zilch, nada, none. We have just hung more stuff on the engine. It is still the same basic internal combustion engine today as it was then.
I refuse to belive that no one has come up with something better in the last century. If you look at all the improvements made to almost everthing thing else we should all be getting 75 to 100 mpg and have 500+ hp at the same time.
Just my 2 cents worth anyway.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:05 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This won't work. The oil companies know that we will be back and if it only happens one day, then they will sit back, laugh, and collect on the next couple of days.

The only thing that I heard that was a good idea was to boycott the 2 largest companies for the rest of the year. This would be Mobil/Exxon and Shell. They would have to eventually start to lower their prices to eliminate their stock, thus causing a price war and everyone follows suit. If it would work, this would lower prices longer. One thing that noone is going to check is which of the small gas stations, say the private owned ones, are supplied by these companies.

The bad thing - - trying to get the world to do anything together

Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 PM
hemi348

Would be more effective if we all stole gas that day now wouldn't it lol!!

Old 05-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Vandal77
Rookie

Citgo? I'd let the fleas from a million camels nestin my a... before I'dbuy a nickles worth of crap from Citgoor Chavez.
You want to fight back? Watch you energy consumption, chill a little on thepedal whendriving( I know, it's hard), cut your energy usage at home ( I switched all the bulbs inmy house to compact flor's, about 10 in each room and theres 12 rooms, yeah, it cost some coin initially, but I cut my wattage usage by 75 percent and once the bulbs warm up, it takes a few seconds, it's good to go as if the old bulbs were in. One floor used to use 750 watts of lighting, it now uses 250 watts. Just in three floors I'm saving 1500 watts right there, and yeah, I burn them regularly. They can charge whatever they stinking want for oil, natural gas, etc...doesn't mean I'm going to use it like they want me to.
As for driving, yeah,I get on it sometimes when some mo-ron in a Chevy, Ford, or Titan comes up and rev's next to me, but most of the time, I crack my S... eating grin cause I know the Hemi sign on my quarter panels say it all and I don't have to prove a thing. I also find myself letting the MDS work it's magic and somehow,I really like it when it makes those 22-23 mpg numbers come up whenI check my milage the old fashioned way.
As long as oil is dealt as a commodity we are screwed. Just adapt, adjust, and hopefully someday, we shall overcome!

Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

I don't know if this will help anyone but i always fill my truck in the evening when the ground tempetures have cooled and i never let the truck go below half of a talk. It doesn't hurt my wallet as bad. And if you see a good price you can top off your tank.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:29 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Richard Nixon had the right Idea back in the 70's he made a law that said all speed limits will be reduced to 55 mph on all Federally Funded Highways. With in a month the prices dropped and the oil companies had more gasoline then they could sell. And it stayed that way for a long long time. Until now. I remember the prices dropping as much as a Dollar a gallon or more. Forweard this to George Bush. See if he can con his way out of this.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:02 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Silver Eagle

I don't know if this will help anyone but i always fill my truck in the evening when the ground tempetures have cooled and i never let the truck go below half of a talk. It doesn't hurt my wallet as bad. And if you see a good price you can top off your tank.
Question on this one. What does cooler ground temp have to do with filling the tank? I am not trying to bash the comment, I actually want to know what the temperature does. I am under the impression that the tanks at the stations are buried at least 15 ft below surface where the temp is not going to be much of a factor. We would have to consider a huge temp difference to change the properties of the gas in a manner that would effect the actual volume a tank can hold.

Please let me know. Now I am curious.

Old 05-14-2007, 12:07 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is striking to remember how Americans responded to the Arab
countries cutting off oil in the early 1970s compared to today.

We should keep in mind that the oil will probably be cut off again.
{Google search for 'Strait of Hormuz' or 'Niger River Delta attacks'}

In 1972 my engineer father and I drove a huge circle around the
eastern USA looking at engineering schools, going as far north as
MIT in Boston and south to GA Tech in Atlanta from a starting point
near Lexington KY.

We were driving a Vega station wagon with a
special flexible 'bladder' that could hold an additional 50 gallons of
gasoline. It was a long trip with hours in the car with me and dad
just talking alone as we burned up miles from university to university.
It was hard to find any gas station that would sell fuel to a car with
out of states plates, and you always had to get in a long line.

Looking back on it, I now realize my father explained to me
then the beginings of my understanding of how an engine operates at
best fuel economy...and he was always refering back to knowledge
he had gained flying piston engine airplanes,
and what his father (my grandfather) had
told him about the CFR 'desperate efforts' in World War II
of how to make super-high octane fuels so that US engines
could quickly boost output to defeat the more advanced
German and Japanese equipment that had surprised the US.

I know that is when I first heard about the ****'s running out of fuel
for their 'Super Tiger' tanks at the Battle of the Bulge,
how the Japanese were so 'blinded' by their thinking of the USA as
'fuel rich' that they failed to bomb the fuel tanks at Pearl Harbor,
how the tremendously brave US Navy airmen of "Torpedo 8"
at the Battle of Midway were so concerned that they would run out of fuel with their 3rd rate planes that they double checked the calculations they had been given on where the Japanese fleet was; found a mistake in those calculations; then disobeyed orders and flew to the right place
where they radio'ed back the location to the Dive Bombers
just before all but one of them were swooped down on and killed by Zero's...the same Zero airplanes that were then
not up at high altitude when the US Navy Dive Bombers arrived several minutes later....15 minutes after that 3 Japanese Aircraft Carrier ships were sinking and the tide of the entire war turned.

It is a terrible shame that so many Americans don't understand how important knowledge of fuel economy has been in the past...and how it will surely be important in the future.

US Citizens could drive down the cost of gasoline and diesel fuel in less than 2 months if they would just do simple things like air up tire pressure, slow down, and perhaps car-pool a few days per week.

Billions of $ would stay in our country and not go overseas
....with at least a few % of those billions eventually going to terrorist funding.

Right now, those billions of retained $ is just what the US economy needs as a 'kick' to keep consumer spending from falling and the USA going into a recession which otherwise seems to be coming.

How do you get people to come together and do what needs to be done?

Instead of doing what needs to be done,
all that happens is stupid 'chain letters'
saying not to buy gasoline on one particular day.

Considering the sacrifices we ask members of the US Military to endure,
the majority of the US citizens won't even suffer the least little change of habits, even wasteful habits that take money out of their own pockets, and sink many deeper into dept.

It's not what Americans did at winter camp at Valley Forge,
or when they replied "Nuts' at Bastogne,
or what Flight 93's passengers did,
is it.....

Old 05-14-2007, 07:39 PM
pakaalbite
Professional

It doesnt matter bc the world by the year 3000 will have too hot of living conditions

Quick Reply: dont buy gas on may 15th