3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

hemi on propane--the first 2,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hemi on propane--the first 2,000 miles

I posted earlier that I was converting my Power Wagon to propane. I have now driven about 2,000 miles with the conversion. My system is a dual fuel gas and propane. So far I love it. Ithas worked very well except for a funny problem that I am fixing---slowly. I bought a used propane tank and evidently there was a mouse or two in it. I have been picking up little cute mouse fur in my filter. I hope that it cleans it self out soon, because I have no idea how to clean out the tank.
I am getting about 8-10% less as far as milage. I was told to expect 5-10% less so I am good. The power is the most surprising part. I really can't tell a difference between gas and propane. This is quite a bit better than the old propane systems that were on carbed engines.
I am saving over a dollar a gallon on fuel and expect that to get better. Gas typically goes up in the summer while propane goes down. Now if everyone who reads this converts to propane that won't be the case and I will be wishing I never told you all about it.
The cost for conversion was $3,500. I feel it will pay for itself and the truck will last longer because it is a much cleaner fuel. The company I got the kit from is www.ecofuel.com Let me know if you have questions. Scott

Old 04-30-2007, 04:30 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: hemi on propane--the first 2,000 miles

glad to see your happy with it. I wouldnt wanna spend 3500 on it andthen be pissed off and regret what i did lol

Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Any pictures of the set up? I am curious tank mounting location under engine look ect..

Thanks,

Ryan

Old 04-30-2007, 11:56 PM
manson

To put things into perspective....how long would $20 dollars in fuel last you?

Old 05-01-2007, 01:05 AM
Yellowsally
Rookie

Yes I will get some pics of the truck and setup. I'll work on it for this week. Now for the question about $20 of fuel. $20./ 2.85 (gas prices here)= 7.02 gallons * 15mpg (thats what I get with the Power Wagon)= 105.3 miles------- $20 / 1.57 (price for propane per gallon)=12.74 gallons * 14mpg (I get less with propane)=178.4 miles that sounds good, but look at the summer prices, which is when most of my driving takes place $20 gas/ 3.25 (just a guess)=6.15 gallons *15mpg=92.25 miles-------$20 propane / 1.25 (again a guess but that was last summers price)=16 gallons * 14 mpg=224 miles

anyway food for thought. It is not a perfect setup--expensive at first, tank takes up room (if you put it in the bed like I did), power may be a little less, but you push a button and it switches to gas if you want/need power but I can't really tell a difference on either. Sometimes I think propane has more and sometimes I think that gas has more so I will say it is about the same.
I will post the pics on a new post as soon as I can----Scott

Old 05-01-2007, 12:30 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the posts Scott.
Hope your experience with propane continues well.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM
eltupac
All Star

How about using methane? I can eat a can of beans and fill about two 26 gallon tanks. Thats according to my wife.

Jokes aside, sounds good man. Something to think about. Now think if more people request it, then prices for the convertion could go down and yes, propane price might go up, but not as much as $4 a gallon. Besides there are more cars than trucks out there. I would do it for $2000.00, and still have the gas as reserve like you have it. Its like having the MDS, push the button and there you go.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:34 PM
buffgator
Rookie

Another great set up is the natural gas. My neighbor across the street works for questar gas, and his truck runs of natural gas. He says he gets the same gas milage, and cant tell a diffrence in power. The best thing about it is natural gas it is .75 cents a gallon, and you can fill up from your gas meter at home. The major draw back is unlike gas and propane, natural gas is in a gas state, while propane and gasoline are liquids. That means that a fifty gallon tank can only hold about 12 gallons of natural. Do the math you cant drive very far without stopping to fill up. So if you are going across the state you have to map out where you can stop and fill up. Another benifet is that if in an accident and your tank starts to leak, the natural gas will rise into the air, while the fumes from propane and gasoline puddle to the ground. The conversion price is 3500-5000 dollars.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM
mbh

Scott, Did you change the compression ratio or is it still at factory ?

Old 05-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Yellowsally
Rookie

all stock

Quick Reply: hemi on propane--the first 2,000 miles