3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 02:53 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Just figured I'd throw this up here in the sticky for future reference.

Flowmaster 50 Series "HD"
Anyway, went with 1 in 2 out, exits behind both wheels. The sound outside is very nice. Idle speed is as quiet as stock, but any gas you give it is a nice throaty roar. Insidecould be bad for some people, my wifeincluded, it's a little loud and she doesn't like it too well.It's loud inside with the windows up. You definantly have to speak up to carry a conversation, and the factory radio can drown it out at high volume.

Now the MDS... Yep you can hear it, and it resonates through the cab badly from50 - 55, however cruising over 55 I really don't notice it that much. I know it's kicked it, a lower tone, but it doesn't resonate hardly at all once you're over 55.

Here are a couple of clips I took. On the Interior sound, you can hear the MDS kick in at 1:09 - 1:10 mark.

Exterior Sound Clip Interior Sound Clip

Old 11-04-2007, 07:55 PM
antman11
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep nothin'like an old lady having a stroke after a ram passes heh-heh

Old 11-04-2007, 08:11 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

Any thoughts or information about the pro's and con's of doing a header back or stock manifold"true" dual exhaust versus a cat back single to dual for a 5.7 HEMI?

How about some specific "true" dual mufflers and pipe size recommendedfor this engine and maybe a website that puts it all out there?

I would love to hear some input from you guysas I am still considering all options for my exhaust...

Old 11-06-2007, 05:10 PM
1 Big B
Professional

Hi everyone
I thought it was funny you asked this question because I was just at my local muffler shop askingthe muffler guythat exact same question. Any way he told me that installing headers may void my warrenty. I'm not a lawyer or anything like that so I'm not completely sure if that is true or not. I had all same question that we have been discussing here and he put it to me like this. On my 08 5.7 hemi Mega Cab (for reference) You have 3in all the way from the cat, all you need to do is add the muffler of your choiceand take out the resenator. This will give you the best flow. If you want you can go with 1in 2out set up andrun dual but it wont add any more performance than a single out 3in pipe. Basicly dual is for looks. It just depends on what you want it to look like. He also said look at nascar do they run a dual system or a single pipe?

By no means am I a exhaust expert. This is just what I heard anyone else what to chime in?

Old 11-06-2007, 05:31 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

Thanks for the input...

After having looked at my exhaust closer and considering the small (if any) increase in performace for the large investmant I have decided to stick with my Borla 3"in/dual 2.5" out set up from the cat back. I just contacted the guys we use at CARmax (A1 Muffler)about running the pipes for me and they quoted me $180. That is with my supplying the muffler and chrome tips. I should be up and running in a few weeks once I have my muffler...

Old 11-08-2007, 10:04 AM
HemiAtWork
Professional

Wanting to install a Flowmaster 50HD and High Flow Cats or Cat (my truck has two - not sure if I need both or if I can get away with only one)

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 QC Laramie. I ordered the truck with running boards which were part of a ground effects package. My problem is the small piece where the exhaust exits has a half circle cut-out and the other side doesnt.

I wanted to install a SIDO behind the rear tires. Does anyone know where I could buy the ground effects piece with a cut-out for the other side?

My other option is SISO - Is there a performance difference between SISO and SIDO or is it just looks at that point?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Well one, I suggest mudflaps. lol. On a serious note, I did not see ANY performance improvement with the SI/DO on my truck with the HD. After looking at the pictures of your truck, I would just take the piece in front and behind the tire off if you want the dual out, or you could stack the pipes, leave one right where your factory is, and put the other one right below it.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:25 PM
HemiAtWork
Professional

Do you like the sound from your 50 Series HD muffler and did you replace your cats or cat with high flow ones

Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM
bwhite757
All Star

If you haven't already you can check out my videos on youtube:

Exterior Sound Clip Interior Sound Clip

Yes I love the sound, MDS is a little annoying but with an 04 you won't have that problem. No I did not change the cat's, I have the lifetime warranty on my truck and I was told at the dealership I can change the exhaust but can't touch the cat's. No biggie for me, I was just looking for a little more sound. I HATED that the hemi was quiet!!!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:43 PM
tizzle0469

i just put a VORTEX muffler on my truck. just replaced the stock muffler with the other and welded her up. sounds great and no nasty drone sound. real mellow. about to run a 3" out the pass rear and puttin an SRT-10 tip on it..nice clean look and sound

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!