3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 05:48 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Well I ordered my Borla XS Muffler #40349 from WickedNicky Exhaust. It was just $84! with a little under $10 shipping. The cheapest I was able to find these locally was $150 and Summit Racing. Not a bad deal for under $100 shipped. I cant wait to get her installed and check out the sound. It should be here in a couple of days.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:51 PM
05redhemi
Professional

ha exausts the most common and sweetest mod ona dodge especially wit a hemi well heres my situation
05 ram 1500, 5.7L HEMI with a bombz dual intake quad cab 2 wheel drive short box
well im lookin for an exaust and im so far convinced with the flowmaster DOR with the 50 HD series and all i wanna know is there any thing else out there that would be better or other wise one of u convince me to buy something else. the one thing to bear in mind is my dual cold air intake, the truck almost sounds flawless without an upgraded exaust but its gotta be done so.....

i also recomend this dual intake system just hot off the shelves .... ebays the ways to go[8D]

Old 11-17-2007, 10:34 PM
Ghetto

Okay, I have read through this entire thread and have one question... Does anyone have any facts on performance??? The sound shouldn't be the buying point for an exhaust!!! As a biker, I love loud *** pipes, but will not compromise performance for sound... I know this is to get others opinions, but I really hate to say this (because I know there are many experienced and knowledgeable people on this site), most of you sound like old women sitting in a knitting circle gossiping... Again, I love loud pipes, but your basis for buying a better breathing system should not be sound... The performance should be basis for any modification to any vehicle... I came to these forums to help me finding the better systems, performance wise... With the opinions based solely on sound, it seems to be like two people fighting over the grass being pink or purple when it is actually green... luis_defreitas asked several posts backabout performance and it appeared he was ignored because it wasn't about sound... So again I am going to throw the question out, "Does any have anything on the performance of the different exhaust systems and set ups??? (Specifially for a 20071500 QCSB 2WDLaramie Hemi)

Old 11-18-2007, 09:55 PM
kyle_ewing

I have a super forty 0n my truck dumped before the rear axle. Its got a throaty sound outside the truck not too loud though. Inside the cab its got a little roar but not much. I talked to the guy at the muffler shop and he said if you want it louder just do a 40 series flowmaster because the super 40 is quieter. so it all depends on what you want. well good luck.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
VaderPainter
Rookie

2005 Dodge Power Wagon 5.7 HEMI 4X4

I got my exhaust set up Friday of last week. Cat back 3" inlet/dual 2.5" out.

I also did lots of research before buying opting for performance rather than just sound. What you want your muffler to do is flow as much as possible, higher theCFM the better the performace. Usually the price goes up with better CFM rates. Here is what I found from various sites and from guys in here. Flowmasters are the worst with a little over 200 CFM's, Magna Flows are a little better at a little under 400 CFM's but not a good value as they are about the same price as a Borla. Hooker Mufflers flow rate in an incredible 450 at about the same price as a Flowmaster and the best is the Borla at 600!

My Borla XSsounds great.

Nice and throaty, a deep sound if you know what I mean.

The FlowMasters and MagnaFlows tend to sound tinny and have a popping every once in a while fromwhat I have heard. The Borlasounds more like a race car exhaust. You can barely hear it in the cab with the radio off, with it on the sound is barely there. No droning at highway speeds either. When you jump on it it really opens up and sounds cool. All in all a really nice set up on this truck...

I got the Borla XS muffler online for a little under $100 shipped from Wicked Nicky Exhaust. I got the stainless steel rolled tips at Summit Racing for around $40 for the pair. The exhaust work was done at a local shop that uses aluminized steel (will not rust) for $150. Grand total about $240.

Old 11-20-2007, 12:02 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

I don't see any comments on straight pipes (no muffler). How does it sound on a 4.7 regular cab with a splitter after the y pipe and dual tips out the back?

Old 11-20-2007, 01:30 PM
kregier
Veteran

I absolutely love the sound of my magnaflow on my 4.7. Sounds like I'm running a big block from the 60s/70s.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 PM
sirco

Does anyone have any inputs on a straight pipe , dual rear exit on a 5.7 4x4 Qc??? im looking into fabing one for myself or del the cat (welding a section of pipe in its place)and putting in after market mufflers on there ....... any one done it? im looking for the sound that makes ppl jump a little when u hammer on it .... or something similar to my buddies cherokee srt8 with a borla cat back

Old 11-24-2007, 11:45 AM
antman11

hi sounds like you got what you wanted the strange thing is i have flowmaster 50 series street and my buddy took off his borla 'cause he said it wasnt loud enough and went with the american thunder by flowmaster and the 05 daytona i was gonna buy had the borla that dodge puts on and it had a wicked resonance in the cab . so i guess that "beautiful noise is in the ear of the beholder"haha " anyway enjoy cya

Old 11-24-2007, 11:28 PM
spud11
Veteran

Anybody here ever use or hear of heartthrob exhausts? I'm looking getting a halfway decent exhaust to help imporve both sound and mpg if possiable. if ya'll got links to places that have good prices lay em' out, or ya can just bombrad me with opinion.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!