3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
Destructicon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

ORIGINAL: kyle_ewing

I have a super forty 0n my truck dumped before the rear axle. Its got a throaty sound outside the truck not too loud though. Inside the cab its got a little roar but not much. I talked to the guy at the muffler shop and he said if you want it louder just do a 40 series flowmaster because the super 40 is quieter. so it all depends on what you want. well good luck.
The guy at your muffler shop is a tard.... super 40 is louder and deeper than the 40 delta as it has larger dimensions. I have two identical trucks with identical setups, except one has a super and the other the delta. The super 40 has WAY more growl than the 40 delta. Go back to the shop, slap the guy in the mouth and steal his lunch money cuz he's afriggin a$$ clown!

Old 12-05-2007, 06:28 PM
mberg501

anyone know if cutting out everything from the cat > back and straight pipping it, is even legal in CA.? Im a washington resident living here in Monterey.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Ol442

Alright, I just put in flomaster 50 HD in my 05 ram hemi and left everything else alone. I want it loud but not too loud is that possible?

Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

I have a Flowmaster 50 Series SUV Performance on my 4.7L Ram. The muffler came as part of a kit that Flowmaster sells for 4.7L Rams. I was wondering if I could replace the muffler with a Super 44 without too much of a hassle. I want to keep the pipes from the kit, just exchange the muffler. The Super 44 matches my 50 Series inlet/outlet size, but is a few inches shorter and has a 4 inch case as opposed to the 50 series 5 inch. How much of a problem will this present, and how should I go about hooking the muffler to the pipes?

Old 12-19-2007, 08:23 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

it should be no problem for any muffler shop to do for cheap if your willing to do it yourself all that you should need is a spacer/extension pipe that fills the gap on the inlet side of the new shorter muffler.(although if your first muffler was welded then of course you will need to get the new muffler welded in).

Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Hemiroid
Professional

ORIGINAL: Pirata

I have a Flowmaster super 40 and I love the sound and at no time does it seem like it drones much more than the stock setup nor is it so loud I can't carry on a conversation in the cab. I just returned from a 5000 mile trip and if it would have been annoying I would have noticed by about the 500th mile but as it was the sound was sweet.

The 3 cannisters are the muffler (big one in the middle) and the front and rear resonator. The cat's are located well before the front resonator. When I had my flowmaster put on I had the rear resonator taken off.
Pirata, Can you be a little more specific about your set up. Do you have cat back? aftermarket piping?

Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

I ordered my new muffler today! I'm exchanging my Flowmaster 50 Series SUV 3 chamber for a Cherry Bomb Extreme 1 Chamber. With any luck, it'll be in on Monday. I was set on the Super 44 Flowmaster, but the Cherry Bomb was the same price, including installation.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:06 PM
tiresmoketravis
Rookie

i have a 06 4.7l i just replaced the stock muffler with the flowmaster super 40 muffler sounds great im thinking about going from a 3' pipe to a 4' and run it out in front of the rear tire im aslo geting a superchips tuner and a cold air intake that should give it a deeper soundhas any one with a 4.7l put a 4' pipe on their truck

Old 12-23-2007, 11:54 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Hey fellas, a newcomer here needs some help.

I have a QuadCab 2005 RAM 1500 5.7L Hemi, 2WD. I am looking to get some sort of exhaust system put on to give it the infamous "Hemi roar" or something that will let people know I have arrived .The problem is a) my budget and b) my lack of knowledge in this department. I dont know if I need just a different tip, or should replace the muffler and get a new tip. OR if I should replace the muffler, the pipes, and get a new tip.

I really dont want to go over $300, which is sad I know. But I am a starving college kid in Arizona and cant really afford much more at the moment or in the near future. What will this get me, if anything?

I have searched online for quotes to get things installed but am having a hard time getting prices. If any of you could give me a ballpark figure as to what I might be looking at that would be great. Any suggestions about the best I could do with the money would also be appreciated. I basically want something that rumbles and sounds clean. Dont want a ricer truck and I dont need anything more performance-wise (although I dont want to lose any either). I appreciate it guys!!

Also- How much would I be lookin at to get a single in-dual out setup (possibly in front of the rear wheels)? Would I get charged a pretty penny to re-do the pipe setup? Thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:02 AM
MoparRob
Veteran

Most would suggest to get a cat back system, and then replace the restricting factory y-pipe. That would give you the best performance and sound. If all you want is sound then buy a new muffler and get it installed.This is the routeI am going just bought aSi/SO super 40 series off of ebayfor sixty bucks andgot a quote on installing itfor 40$ bucks. For 100$thats the cheapest way to get a throaty sound. There has been a few guys that have bought a single in dual out muffler and had the exhaust shop install dual tips either out the rear or out the side. And had everything done for close to or under 300. I would suggest browsing through the forums if you havent already and decide what type of sound your looking for. Most say the flowmaster 50 series HD is a great sounding muffler thats not TOO loud. Others swear by the the 40 series. Ask10 different people get 10 different answers... Once you decide which muffler you want start calling exhaust shops and ask them for a quote, its really all preference. Hope this helps and I didnt mean to go on and on.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!