3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

My local shop installed my exhaust setup for me $245 out the door. New muffler, pipes, and tips. The tips are purely cosmetic, you get no added sound just by adding a tip.

I have a Flowmaster 50 Series HD 1 3" in / 2 2.5" out. You can click the links in my signature to listen to what it sounds like. Here's a pic to see what it looks like. Just go to a local exhaust shop around town and get some prices. I try to use local guys and not the big chains, most of the time you come out cheaper, and better quality work, IMO

Old 12-24-2007, 12:05 AM
bwhite757
All Star

ORIGINAL: MoparRob

Most say the flowmaster 50 series HD is a great sounding muffler thats not TOO loud.
Ha, that's why I tried to get my 2 cents in first!!! Beat me to the punch yet again!!

Old 12-24-2007, 12:18 AM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol I love to win

Old 12-24-2007, 12:39 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Thanks for the info both of you guys... I think, after much influence from my Dad who put the FM 40 series on his '71 Plymouth GTX (sweet car), he says I should go with Magnaflows. Now, I know you two probably wont have many good things to say about these since you guys have FM on your trucks haha. But to your credit, my dad said that arepresentative at the FM stand at a recent Hemi car show he attended told him that the 50 series will indeed give a deeper, heartier sound than the 40 series which sound "pingy". So thats always an option.

However, assuming I go with Magnaflows, do you guys (or anyone else) have any recommendations on which model to go with, and approximately how much I would spend to get them. Preferably single in-dual out with some nice tips? Thanks fellas!!!

P.S.- Do they charge more fordual both out the side in front of rear tires or 1 out each side after rear tires?

Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 AM
MoparRob
Veteran

Hopefully TDmopar will chime in soon. He is probably the biggest advocator of the Magnaflow brand, and always says you will not be dissapointed with it. As for thewhichMagnaflowI am not sure. Cost of before or after thetiresi am unsure but in my experience its not the length of pipe thats pricey its the amount of bending and reworking they have to do. I have never really thought about which one is easier or cheaper.. And for price on the muffler I highly doubt you could beat Ebay. But Moesperformance.com had some pretty close prices on the Flowmasters not sure on the Magnaflows.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:07 AM
bwhite757
All Star

I have no ill feelings towards what you want to do with YOUR truck. I recommend what I've dealt with, or what I've heard/seen on other vehicles. I don't havea lot of experience with magnaflows, however they are highly recommended on this site. Either way, you'll be happy with what you get...

Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Thanks alot bw and Rob. I am going to search around ebay and Moes Performance online store to see what I can come up with.

Anyone on this site have any luck getting any Magnaflows + installation under $300?!

Old 12-24-2007, 01:56 AM
bwhite757
All Star

Here's a good search for ya:

Click here

Old 12-24-2007, 03:35 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Thanks for the link bwhite

I know this is a dumb question, but what "size" muffler do I need for my 2005 QC Hemi? I dont mean the in/out sizes, but rather the muffler in general. Heres an example of what I'm talking about...

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...Path=1_885_895

Which category am I in? 4x9? 5x8? 5x11? 6?

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2007, 10:29 AM
spud11
Veteran

From what I have gathered, Magnaflo are supposed to be a strait thru muffler, ie: little to no baffling, so the wider and longer you go the more packing material there will be, which softens the tone, and gives you more of the deep resonenses. So if you go small and short, you get a "louder" ( by that more high tone cracking, and Db level) sound; big and long, "quiter" (less crack more deep growl and subdued db), especially at cruise. I could be wrong, it does happen alot, but thats what I have been able to figure out. Good luck, hope I was helpful.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!