3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
pcollins
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Thanks for the info Spud

I think I am going to go with either the Magnaflow or the FM 50 Series HD. Whichever I pick will be 3" single in, 2.5" dual out... and I will most likely have them both come out the passenger side before the axle.

The only thing is that I dont know what specific muffler I need when looking on ebay. Wouldeither of thesework?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNA...4653QQtcZphoto

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...products_id=76

Is it the 5x11 ovals that I need?

And how are those prices? At MoesPerformance it is $106.00 with Free Shipping. The ebay one is quite a bit more after shipping. $106 seem about right?

Old 12-24-2007, 04:46 PM
spud11
Veteran

Thats about right for Magnaflo's, they are pricy. The oval seems to be what you like, so go for it and it should be good. It'll give you a good clean look, and a deep throaty sound.

Old 12-25-2007, 03:46 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Ok Spud thx.

Random question... My dad is a big mopar guy and has restored 2 old mopars ('71 GTX and '70 Roadrunner). Anyways, the guys he hangs out with and the guys on the message board he visits say that they are going to start putting on "Summit" mufflers because they sound identical to Magnaflows and the like. Im sure most of you are familiar with Summit, but if not, it is a magazine part-distributing company. My dad said that all his friends say the "Summit" brand is a knock off of the Magnaflows, just a "generic" brand if you will, butare almost half the price. Has anyone else heard this or have any thoughts on this?

Heres a link to theexhaust for my truck:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Old 12-25-2007, 11:06 AM
spud11
Veteran

There is a sayinmg they like to use here, you get what you pay for. If it is cheap in price, it will usually be cheap in construction, except of course if you're buying a new home. I was looking at the summit system for my truck before I decided to go with a dumped glasspack, it was too quiet for me. But I have heard mixed emotions about summit, some love it, others hate it. Its a matter of opinion, and opinions are like a$$holes, everyones got one and their all full of s**t. If you've got the money to try it, go for it if you like, its your truck, do what you feel is right.

Old 12-25-2007, 01:06 PM
pcollins
Veteran

I totally agree. The only reason I even posted is because I figured, Hey if these guys that rebuild mopar cars are willing to put Summit's mufflers on them, thye must not be as bad as you would think. I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything good or bad about them. Even if I get a Summit, I would not buy the whole kit. I would just get the muffler and then have everything else customized at the shop.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:34 PM
ivaskaj
Veteran

I just got straight pipes the other day, and they sound decent. here is a link to a sound clip. ****ty cell phone recording, sorry. It really does sound better in person, but you get the idea. I'll try to find my digital audio recorder and get a better quality clip. http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...=878923898.wav

I just got tired of the silence before I could afford a muffler, so off it came. As for performance/mileage gains, there was nothing noticable. I'll be getting a spintech pro street muffler whenever I get the money and am in the spending mood.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:18 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

Just a thought on the summit knock offs. Summit also makes an a duplicate of some of the flowmaster mufflers too. Few guys have commented about not being able to really tell a diff between quality and everything. If you decided to go that route let us know what you think of it...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:33 AM
pcollins
Veteran

Rob,
I am still debating on getting the Summit knockoff, I just dont know if it is worth the extra risk. I would rather just pay a tad bit more and get something I am happy with and dont have to screw around with 6 months later replacing.

Looking at the magnaflows, does anyone know what the stock muffler length is on the '05 Hemi QC? This one I found on Moe's is 22" in length. Would this fit my '05?

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...products_id=76

Old 12-26-2007, 12:11 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

My buddy just put a Magnaflow on his F-150. He went to Meineke and got it installed there. They cut off his glasspack and welded it on. Its a single in/single out 2 chamber that exits before the rear wheels. He got all this done for $180. Note, This is NOT a catback system. He just bought the muffler and tipto Meineke and theyoff the glasspack and welded the rest together.

I just got my new muffler hooked up today. Only $130 with installation! Its a Cherry Bomb Extreme single chamber muffler. Similiar to the Flowmaster 10 Series except with only 1 baffle. It sounds amazing. My Flowmaster 50 Series SUV did sound good, but I can't believe the difference. My lil 4.7 sounds like a beast now. I'd strongly reccommend it

Old 12-27-2007, 07:47 PM
MoparRob
Veteran

Just got a Super 40 installed today, just replaced the stock muffler with the new one and added a little more pipe. It sounds awesome! From what I had read I thought it was going to be MUCH louder than it is. Sounds great, cant notice very much at idle and so far no drone to speak of. Highly recommend it! Not "pingy" or "tinny" as some had described it. Maybe thats the old school 40 series...

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!