3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

I work Part-Time in a bowling center Pro Shop. We sell bowling *****, and fit and measure your hand, and drill the ball. We are losing so much money nowadays to online companies selling the ***** extremely cheap because they have the means to buy 3-4,000 of 1 particular ball and get them for next to nothing, and people bringing them to us to have them drilled. It's actually to the point now where 2 years ago we kept almost 200 ***** in stock at all times, and now we only keep about 50. To me it's just a slap in the face when someone brings in a ball to have me drill it. Especially after they were in 2 weeks earlier to get my opinion on what they should get.

It's kinda the same thing with your muffler shop. He's losing money b/c you're buying the muffler online. I personally do not do this. I only buy online if I cannot get it locally b/c I'm in the same boat as your muffler guy and many other retailers. And it's just getting easier and easier to order pre bent kits and install them yourself in your garage, it might not be hurting them too bad now, but it soon will be. Just look how many auctions they're are on eBay for complete exhaust kits...

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: bwhite757

I work Part-Time in a bowling center Pro Shop. We sell bowling *****, and fit and measure your hand, and drill the ball. We are losing so much money nowadays to online companies selling the ***** extremely cheap because they have the means to buy 3-4,000 of 1 particular ball and get them for next to nothing, and people bringing them to us to have them drilled. It's actually to the point now where 2 years ago we kept almost 200 ***** in stock at all times, and now we only keep about 50. To me it's just a slap in the face when someone brings in a ball to have me drill it. Especially after they were in 2 weeks earlier to get my opinion on what they should get.

It's kinda the same thing with your muffler shop. He's losing money b/c you're buying the muffler online. I personally do not do this. I only buy online if I cannot get it locally b/c I'm in the same boat as your muffler guy and many other retailers. And it's just getting easier and easier to order pre bent kits and install them yourself in your garage, it might not be hurting them too bad now, but it soon will be. Just look how many auctions they're are on eBay for complete exhaust kits...
Yeah man alot of smaller mom n pop shops are losing business to the internet. I feel bad for them but for me I cant justify spending alot more money for the same product. Although there is plenty of stuff that I wont get online. Lol such as bowling *****, I am good friends with the owners of the alley I bowl league at and they give me an okay deal and I am happy to give them all of my business cheaper or not.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:57 PM
BHRAM

Does anybody here a Bassani catback system? I have aC/B kit on one of my mustangs and it has a nice deep tone, so just wondering if anybody has one of these kits?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:32 AM
chefred112
All Star

...it all depends which shop you choose as well, I found a one man shop that did my original mag catback exhaust with chrome tip (welded) for $200.00, when I wanted a flow 50 delta si/do side exits with tips welded he charged me $150.00... when i wanted to fab up a custom Y pipe, $25.00 (installed an welded)...i go to him for all my weld needs..sometimes he jus says "buy me a 6 pack"......i went back to my old mag dumped, $40.00... you just gotta find "that" guy an stick with him...iv turned all my ram bros to him...way cheaper then any internet priced setup... vid of my old flow setup, my mag now is much quieter (which i want, i must b gettin old, lol)

http://media.putfile.com/Hemi-Flowmaster-50

Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 AM
chefred112
All Star

some of the great work he's done for me...

[IMG]local://upfiles/13436/CC6A26E28BDE4BAF98F84CDE99D03C3F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/13436/7548C13646054A97900111D63B6FDEE4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-29-2007, 03:04 AM
spud11
Veteran

pcollins: I like the look of one out each side infront of the rear tire, but fir that you need true duals, I'd go for infront of the tire, and second choise behind the tire. I've never really liked the look of the tail pipes under the bumber, like rob said, they just look outta place there on a big pick em' up. AS for the 2.25 instead pf the 2.5, it just adds that little bit extra backpressure that helps to retain your low end torque, that why if you ever do decide to go with a strait pipe, you'll wanna run atleast 2.5 pipe or 2.25. Also anything larger than 2.5 on the cat back systems means that you have to take out your spare tire, thats also a possiable reason why most of the guys here are running the 2.5 instead of a 3. And just to keep rambling, you'll get more loudness out of the supertruck style side exit, as there is less pipe behind the muffler to deaden the sound.

Old 12-29-2007, 03:33 AM
pcollins
Veteran

ORIGINAL: spud11

pcollins: I like the look of one out each side infront of the rear tire, but fir that you need true duals, I'd go for infront of the tire, and second choise behind the tire. I've never really liked the look of the tail pipes under the bumber, like rob said, they just look outta place there on a big pick em' up. AS for the 2.25 instead pf the 2.5, it just adds that little bit extra backpressure that helps to retain your low end torque, that why if you ever do decide to go with a strait pipe, you'll wanna run atleast 2.5 pipe or 2.25. Also anything larger than 2.5 on the cat back systems means that you have to take out your spare tire, thats also a possiable reason why most of the guys here are running the 2.5 instead of a 3. And just to keep rambling, you'll get more loudness out of the supertruck style side exit, as there is less pipe behind the muffler to deaden the sound.
Thanks Rob and Spud, I think I will go with in front of the tire. I like the sporty look of that setup also. And its less pipe so its cheaper! Woot

Old 12-29-2007, 01:43 PM
05Hemi_man

I have a Banks Monster Exhaust system for my 5.7L. I love it. Throaty on the take-off and mellows out to near stock when you reach cruising speed.

Old 01-02-2008, 06:34 PM
mberg501

ok so 18 pages of good info but none on how the summit glasspacks sound or work and if there is an loss of backpressure resulting in the od kicking out on a 4.7

i like really loudmuffler/s that produce the hp oh yea and that will not get me tickets any words of wisdom for you guys

Old 01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
BadRam1
Veteran

ORIGINAL: mberg501

ok so 18 pages of good info but none on how the summit glasspacks sound or work and if there is an loss of backpressure resulting in the od kicking out on a 4.7

i like really loudmuffler/s that produce the hp oh yea and that will not get me tickets any words of wisdom for you guys

Buy a single chambermuffler. Flowmaster10 Series or Cherry Bomb Extreme. The FM is si/so. The Extreme can be si/so or si/do. Both are veryloudbut generally not loud enough to draw cops attention.It probably doesn't make the power as something like a performance Magnaflow or Borla but it shouldmake more power than a glasspack.A little back pressure is good and that's what a single chamber gives you. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with glasspacks.I've heard theydont last long and when they burn out, they sound like garbage.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!