3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
mberg501
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!

i want to thanks you all very much for giving your input, advice and vids.over the last few days ive read your thoughts watched vids and even some of my own r&d. i made a spreadsheet for comaparisons sake and ill try to post it later but for now. I compared 8 different mufflers ranging from $40 - $170. all of them were the same size in/out. all were about the same overall length. all but two (single chamber only) were perferated steel tubes(not glass packs). all were about the same diameter and finally all claimed to be more effeciant than the other. so i think i will give my truck its own personality with the cheaper one give myself the sound i wanted and save some cash for other mods. in closing its up to truck and owner to decide which one is the best but thanks again guys for all of your input. ill put up a small vid when i can.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:26 PM
08Hemi

This post could also go under the "First Mod" thread. But here goes...

After reading too much about exhaust, I determined I knew less than when I started. I was going to "settle" for a flowmaster which "arguably" has less power gain than the Magnaflow or Borla (which I really wanted), but was considerably cheaper. After checking some EBAY prices I found a flowmaster for 400 + 30 shipping. That was the cheapest at the time. Just for ****s and giggles I checked the Magnaflow prices. The cheapest Magnaflow cat-back dual rear was about 559 + 0 shipping... but had the "best offer" option. I offered 450 with free shipping, and the seller accepted. Now I just gotta come up with 450 bucks.

So my first mod will be a Magnaflow dual rear that lists for 770 on their site which I purchased new for 450.

Next step, Ramhammer

Followed by Superchips

And that should do it for "tame" 08 Hemi

Old 01-04-2008, 03:18 PM
ryno_dodge

hi
i am new to this site and i thought i would let everyone know what i got on my rig.

i have an areo 3030 series and 3" pipe. it wasnt as loud as i wanted it to be when they first installed it but once i got it broke in it was louder than most trucks you hear. it has alot of drone in the cab but it doesnt bother me.

i was also looking into the purple hornie glass packs and i was wondering if any one had some intel on this exaust

Old 01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
pcollins
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 08Hemi
Just for ****s and giggles I checked the Magnaflow prices. The cheapest Magnaflow cat-back dual rear was about 559 + 0 shipping... but had the "best offer" option. I offered 450 with free shipping, and the seller accepted. Now I just gotta come up with 450 bucks.

So my first mod will be a Magnaflow dual rear that lists for 770 on their site which I purchased new for 450.
Congrats bro! You wont be disappointed. For a difference of $20, and getting all mendrel bent piping (Im assuming since it is in a kit), you will love it. I just had a dual out magnaflow put on my'05 on wednesday. Still trying to get pictures up [8D]. However, I just had everything custom done at the shop rather than buying a kit. I got the muffler, 2 tips, and all the piping, welding, and installation for $351 out the door. Iam VERY happy with it and VERY happy I did not go with the Flowmaster. This Magnaflow isexactly what I wanted.

Old 01-08-2008, 01:48 AM
witeboywitawitehemi

hey ya'll, ive been readin this post for hours! listening to all the vids and reading all the research and opinions im deciding between an fm super 44 and super 40 muffler and just a tip. would it be too expensive to add the dual exhaust? its an 07 5.7 ltr HEMI, so the engines big. im young so i need her loud, but not obnoxious. help please!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:28 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

magnaflow!

Old 01-08-2008, 02:43 AM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: witeboywitawitehemi

hey ya'll, ive been readin this post for hours! listening to all the vids and reading all the research and opinions im deciding between an fm super 44 and super 40 muffler and just a tip. would it be too expensive to add the dual exhaust? its an 07 5.7 ltr HEMI, so the engines big. im young so i need her loud, but not obnoxious. help please!
Depends on who you get to do yours. My local shop put 1 in 2 out setup on for me for $245 out the door... It would definantly be cheaper just to replace the muffler and throw a tip on there, but it just depends on what you want...

These are just my opinions:

Super 44 = Loud and obnoxious
40 series = Loud
50 Series HD = Just Right...

But then again, I'm biased, along with EVERYONE ELSE on here. Whatever they have on their truck, if they like it, they're going to tell you to get it!!! So that being said, get the Flowmaster 50 Series HD, Single In / Dual Out Setup!!! and while you're at it put the exits behind the wheels!!! And Don't Forget to check out my Vids in my Signature!

Old 01-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Does anybody here have true duals on one of the newer hemi's with MDS. I dont have a hemi, but I'm trying to get something newer after high school and thats what I'm shooting for. How does it sound? Do you take off or leave the resonators? Would it lose too much backpressure if you take the cats off? I prefer Flowmaster 40's. On my current truck I have a 40 series cat-back with turndowns in front of the rear axle. It's not near loud enough for my taste. I think true duals are better and I've been told that's the only real way to get a performance gain. Just wondering.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:48 PM
witeboywitawitehemi

ok, so i decided to go with the 50 series HD after listening to bwhite's vids. they sound like they'll be just right. im looking at a tip from performance curve on ebay for 22.50. is 4 x 18 x 2.5 the right size for the 07 hemi's stock pipes? is 140 and 22 plus 20 shipping a good deal for those two?

Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Vandersnoot
Professional

ORIGINAL: witeboywitawitehemi

ok, so i decided to go with the 50 series HD after listening to bwhite's vids. they sound like they'll be just right. im looking at a tip from performance curve on ebay for 22.50. is 4 x 18 x 2.5 the right size for the 07 hemi's stock pipes? is 140 and 22 plus 20 shipping a good deal for those two?
I paid $35 for (2) 3.5' tips at a local muffler shop and if you really are trying to save cash, you should be able to get the FM 50 HD for about $105 if you look around....

Have you checked your local exhaust shops, sometimes they are the cheapest route to go.

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust? Get others opinions here!!