3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Slotted/Vented Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 09:33 AM
Ramathorn03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slotted/Vented Rotors

I'm forced to replace all my rotors and all my pads on my 03 1500. I originally wanted to get slotted rotors for the front because I was going to upgrade my pads to the high friction EBC pads. Would I run the risk of warping normal rotors fasterwith high friction pads? Will the slotted provide better braking or only becasue it keeps the pads cooler. I found a good pair of slotted rotors for 180.00 is that too much? And what other sites should i check out for brake parts?

Tim

Old 10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
TANKZ400
All Star
Default RE: Slotted/Vented Rotors

Go with the slotted and if you can afford it slotted and drilled but it depend's how you drive if it's worth it and do you tow alot with heavy braking.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

i hear the slotted and drilled rotors can't be cut or anything on a lathe so if you start to wear them unevenly they are toast... they are going to stop a little better and keep your pads a little cooler... but i know they are very expensive and in my opinion probaly not worth it....

Old 10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

I've run Powerslot (http://www.powerslot.com/pages/power_slot.html) rotors before and had great success with them. I'm not sure that you can cut 'em or re-surface them, but at least in my experience it wasn't necessary. Less brake fade, no warping, and they are fairly cost effective. I'm not sure I'd bother with the "cryo" rotors, probably over-kill for a daily driver type application. If you were doing a bunch of road-course racing or such maybe they are for you...

I've seen other brands, but so far the Powerslots seem to be the best, most cost effective option. I'm getting ready to order a set for my 2500's front here in a month or so (will be my 3rd vehicle to be equiped with them).

Old 10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Powerslots rule!!! with EBC or Hawk pads...

Old 10-31-2007, 11:04 AM
chart

i dealt with the warped OEM rotors and had to replace them at ~20k miles. I replaced them with OEM equivalent replacement and metallic pads. these lasted until about 54k miles. I tried to have the rotors turned and put new pads on however the brakes developed a very annoying whine when braking from a slow speed (like pulling into the driveway). I ordered up a set of the EBC slotted rotors to replace the fronts and installed them over this past weekend. so far i'm more impressed with their stopping ability. there seems to be more grip and the truck slows down quicker. For the most part the whine noise has gone away...i do hear it on occasion under the same slow breaking conditions as the non-slotted ones...it is MUCH less than before. In the instructions from EBC, they do specifically state that slotted rotors will make noise for the first 500-1000 miles until everything has 'set'. so we'll see if it was worth the $200 just for the rotors.

Old 10-31-2007, 12:07 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

i hear the slotted and drilled rotors can't be cut or anything on a lathe so if you start to wear them unevenly they are toast... they are going to stop a little better and keep your pads a little cooler... but i know they are very expensive and in my opinion probaly not worth it....

This is NOT true, It is a common Myth!

I think you'll find that they are not much more than OE Rotors, and they look alot nicer too!

-TheChad

Old 10-31-2007, 12:14 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

ok so i took your thoughts into consideration i figure hey i drive a big truck might as well look into some brakes.... $140 EACH!!!!!!!!! thats a bit rediculous!!!! for power slot....
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2094694.aspx

Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

ok so i took your thoughts into consideration i figure hey i drive a big truck might as well look into some brakes.... $140 EACH!!!!!!!!! thats a bit rediculous!!!! for power slot....
http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/6...0A2094694.aspx

Look on ebay, I got R1 Concepts Premium Vented and Slotted rotors, I think they were like $390. You can find them for right around $100 a rotor. Which I'm sure you'll find is cheaper than OE, or standard replacement rotors.

-TheChad

Old 11-01-2007, 07:09 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drilled rotors are just eye candy.
The holes were there to help cool pads back in the 40's and 50's when outgassing/heat build upetc,was a major consideration due to the poor friction materials used back then.
With the modern day materials used in pad construction, holes are not necessary any more.
If they were, Indy car, NASCAR and F1 would still be using them along with all the rally teams.
Keep with a rotor with slots only. This is still a viable modification and keeps the mass in the rotor, used for dissipating heat, by not drilling it away and looking nice.
Just my 2p worth.
Al.
Al.

Quick Reply: Slotted/Vented Rotors