3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Only Leaks When it is Cold?.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 08:41 AM
Hemichief
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only Leaks When it is Cold?.....

Ok.. so here is a question. I own a 2003 QC 5.7l. There is nothing wrong with this truck, it only 37,000 miles and it has for the most part been babied. Last week I left it out of the garage, because I was working on a utilily trailer in my garage and with the Wive's car, the son's car and myriad of junk that I have collected over the years, I could not fit it in.

So here is what I noticed. A small leak that appeared to develop from right above the skid plate on the front of my truck. It appears to have come from a square box that has high pressure hoses and metal fittings attached to it and it is part of the steering system. It leaked a little during the 7 days that the truck stayed out (keep in mind it was very cold (-10 to 10 overnight). I did not notice the leak at all, and on Friday I drove the truck to work and had no issues.

Saturday, I tool the truck to the carwash, I powerwashed the fittings and that section of the truck, I dried it by hand, checked my power steering fluid (was fine), checked my brake fluid (was fine) (it is not tranny or engine oil and the fluid was clear). I drove it for a about 60 miles on Saturday after I cleaned it and then I parked it inside the garage and placed a newspaper under the location where it was dripping.

Yesterday and this morning... Nothing. not a drop...

Could the cold have caused this? Also, what kind of leak could this have been?

Thanks

Old 02-11-2008, 09:05 AM
Hemiriden
Professional
Default RE: Only Leaks When it is Cold?.....

the changes are good that it was the powerstearing. I'm not sure about the cold weather thing, but i'm sure it is possible, as things do shrink when cold. The powerstearing pumps have been known to leak, but if you haven't seen anything signs of it i think your ok. You can say the gremlins had to go to the bathroom...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Hemichief
Veteran

Something like that... it was weird... It never leaked before and it has not leaked since. Damn Gremlins....

Old 02-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Foiled
Veteran

I do know that Urethane O-Rings will shrink when they are cold and enough to make a seal fail.

If they happen to use those type of o-rings to seal the hose then yes the cold could cause it.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:06 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I'm having a simlar issue with my work truck... I know my work truck and your pickup have nothing in common.. my work truck is a International with the DT466 Diesel... But when it get reallly really cold it pours out a good amount of coolant... not sure why.. but it does.. I think someone was tellin me it had to do with a pressure relief vavle of some sort.. hopefully you get yours fixed...

Old 02-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

It is just weird... If I keep it garaged I am good. Also, I have left it out before and it never leaked. I am going to let it sit for 1 week in the garage. Like I said, I placed newspaper underneath, lets see what happens.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Sir Hardin Thicke
Record Breaker

Dodge knows about the leak. Right at around 30k miles is when it starts. Take it in for warranty replacement. When I had mine in at 31k miles, there were at least a half dozen other Rams in there for the same thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

yeah it is a common leak. happened to me too. mine was leaking at the reservoir tank. i don't trust some of those guys at the dealer, so i just bought a worm type band clamp and stuck it on there.prolly saved myself a lot of time too.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM
Hemichief
Veteran

I am out of 3/36 warranty and I am arguing with them about the 7/70 - I hate to take the truck in if it does not leak anymore and then they charge me $150.00 for a clamp (I bought some myself). I was going to put them on but when it stopped I figured I would just leave it alone.

I do appreciate all your help. Lets see if it drips anymore.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:51 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

if you do decide to put the clamp on yourself do it when the system is warm.

1. this will keep you from possibly breaking off the nipple on the reservoir

2. the rubber on the hose is more pliable allowing you to make a snug fit.

do not tighten the clamp too much causesometimes theycan cam out. the best thing to do is tighten to snug, go for a drive, and then check to see if you can turn the screw a little more. after you're done be sure to clean out the "anti-wear"(wire loom) coverings on the hoses cause they may produce false indications of a reoccuring leak.

Quick Reply: Only Leaks When it is Cold?.....