3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Questions about subs in a quad cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 AM
GLOK1132
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about subs in a quad cab

i just got a 2004 quad cab and i want some opinions on what to do about subwoofers. i want to no if i have the storage area under the back seats fiberglassed if there is enough airspace to run a good 10" sub. also i would like some info on those shallow mount subs and if there any good.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: Questions about subs in a quad cab

someone posted how they raised their rear seat, basically longer bolt and use washers to fill the space to lift it abour 3 or 4 inches.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

ORIGINAL: RamItOne

someone posted how they raised their rear seat, basically longer bolt and use washers to fill the space to lift it abour 3 or 4 inches.
Yeah, see my gallery. Not sure if it's the safest application if you commonly have rear passengers, but I rarely if ever do, so I went for it. I'm not familiar with fiberglassing though. But there are plenty of nice shallow mount subs. Or if you raise your backseat you really give yourself a lot of flexibility if you can build your own custom box you should be able to get plenty of airspace for a normal (non shallow) sub.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:12 PM
GLOK1132

i'll look into raising my back seat but i often carry passengers so i dont know. but i have another question. would it sound better if i ran 2 10" under my back seat or run a 12" in the middle seat up front

Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

ORIGINAL: GLOK1132

i'll look into raising my back seat but i often carry passengers so i dont know. but i have another question. would it sound better if i ran 2 10" under my back seat or run a 12" in the middle seat up front
Sounding "better" is a question of opinion. Two tens will obviously push more air due to the increased surface area but the 12 will sound like deeper bass. I, personally, prefer 10s because the bass is more detailed while still accomplishing a concert-like heavy bass. It's all about preferences and what your hoping to accomplish.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:27 PM
GLOK1132

my first choice would be to go with the 10" but that all depends on how much money i have in the budget. i just asked because someone once told me that 2 10" are equal to a 12"

Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

ORIGINAL: GLOK1132

my first choice would be to go with the 10" but that all depends on how much money i have in the budget. i just asked because someone once told me that 2 10" are equal to a 12"
Not necessarily true or untrue. Depends on the subs. While 2 10's will have more surface area to move air it doesn't mean they will move more air. Depends on the xmax of the subs you're comparing. You could get a custom box for under the back bench, either the whole bench or just one side, and they do make center console boxes for the 40-20-40 benches. Again, depends on your personal preference.

Old 03-22-2008, 04:19 PM
syn65

[align=left]Sub size also depends on what you listen too. I have always been told and believe that tens and eights have the most response and kick too them, and hit a little more precise then the larger subs so they work best with say metal, punk, and so forth. If your a rap fan and want that booming bass go with a larger size. On the subject of shallow subs my rockford p3 tens really kick in my quad cab. But make sure you get a quality box cause this will really affect how they sound. Most people here i think prefer the fox box by joe fox. I just have your run of the mill sealed box and plan on replacing it when i can get around to it for a higher quality one.
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 03-22-2008, 04:59 PM
HighDuke1911
Champion

ok, since you asked about the 10's and 12's, im a huge rap guy. obviously, rap has more bass than any other type of music, except techno. but we wont go there. i ran 2 10's in my old ram. HUGE bass and very accurate and clear. in our trucks, it is recommended to use 10's and nothing bigger. fiberglassing is highly recommended. i had a fiberglass box too. you need as much airspace as you can get. there are some new shallow mounting subs, but im not a fan of them since i never heard them or seen them in person. im more of a regular sub guy. getting the biggets magnet i could possibly find. lol. but make sure you get the right amount of airspace or your subs will blow no matter how much power your pushing to them. so make sure you have A) sufficient airspace and B) the right amount of RMS going to the subs. get 2 10's.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:20 PM
GLOK1132

thank you for your imput. I have a friend that will do my fiberglass for me and i will get 2 10" shallow mount subs under my backseat.

Quick Reply: Questions about subs in a quad cab