3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New '05 ram 1500 quesetion about engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:21 AM
blacktop
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '05 ram 1500 quesetion about engine

I just bought a new Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 quad cab and have a question about the engine. When taking off I have noticed that the truck seems to pull harder when I am letting up on the trottle than it does when its at full throttle.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:39 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New '05 ram 1500 quesetion about engine

When your under full throtle, the engine is sucking air quicker than it can burn it and depending on the gearing off the transmison, and throtle position, thiers a bit of delay for the coumputer to adjust the timming, but its nothing to worry abought.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:24 PM
blacktop
Rookie

Originally Posted by cyclone429
When your under full throtle, the engine is sucking air quicker than it can burn it and depending on the gearing off the transmison, and throtle position, thiers a bit of delay for the coumputer to adjust the timming, but its nothing to worry abought.
My '86 mustang has no delay.

You would figure a 19 year newer vehicle wouldn't have this problem.
Last time I checked air doesn't burn and how does an engine suck air in quicker than it can if its not turbocharged or supercharged. Its only going to suck air as fast as the cam, heads, intake , exhaust will let it. Maybe I'm missing somthing here?

Would a custom tune fix this?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Your '86 Mustang does not have a throttle that is connected to the PCM (computer) which handles "giving the gas", it is wired directly (mechanically). Welcome to the world of "drive by wire"...
Aftermarket tuners can do wonders for this delay which is programmed into the PCM by the manufacturer for various reasons by installing their performance "tunes" to the PCM.
To cut down the delay and get a host of other performance benefits, get a good tuner.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 PM
dafaic

Wow what a turd. You come on here looking for advice and get an attitude and question what he says.

Do you understand what these complicated machines do? I would say no with your question.

A lot of people have spent many years cracking codes to figure out exactly what these computers are doing.

What he said was depending on Speed, Thottle Position, and Transmission gearing. Those three variables can allow for an increase of air in the chamber that could be creating a lag in the system or unburned air.

And yes on some vehicles you can actually tract a minor amount of boost under some certain circumstances even if it is not forced induction. There are alot of variables that have to happen but it does happen.

Ram air is also forced induction and will registar boost so not only turbos and superchargers create boost.

And my 97 Trans Am that lays down over 400rwhp doesn't have a throttle response issue either. It's a car and a performance car at that not your mom and pop grocery getter, driving through the woods to a deer stand, hauling hay truck. You did buy the best truck (in my book) for hauling so why would you expect a truck to perform like a race car.

You should have saved your money and bought a El Camino SS with a 396 or a Ranchero with a 351c or 427, or a gen-ii lighting if you wanted a performance truck.

All these trucks are designed for the public. Not just for you. So excuse Dodge for building a truck that the masses want. A 80 year old man wanting to putt around on his farm could care less about throttle response. Hell at 80 years old it's prolly to much for him.

Where you have a complaint it's not fast enough there is the exact opposite wishing it was less. Dodge has to meet somewhere in the middle.

Maybe you should try recalibrating the throttle response maybe you could make it a little better. You can google it to find out how to do it since you don't want real answers. But you don't need a programmer or dodge to do it for you. And sometimes it does need to be done. Computers get glitches too. Just like your hair in the morning.

Sometimes you start it up and something might no be right.

Like the darn tire pressure sensors. With all the darn tempurature changes prior to June i was checking tire pressure every other day trying to keep that light and ding off.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You should understand the question before raising hell and not comprehend what he is asking!!!
My 08 does the same thing. It is not an issue of throttle response.
Under WOT, if you slowly back out if the pedal, it will pull harder. Mine when doing this, if I back out about 1/2 way it still winds up to 5500rpm before shifting(same as WOT).
This has nothing to to with the tip-in delay of the drive by wire system.
Get your facts straight before talking out of your #@&.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by blacktop
I just bought a new Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 quad cab and have a question about the engine. When taking off I have noticed that the truck seems to pull harder when I am letting up on the trottle than it does when its at full throttle.

The thing about running WOT(wide open throttle) is that the o2 sensors are bypassed so the a/f ratio is tuned on it's own map...while part throttle isn't. So here's a few things you might wanna look into..

You could be running lean at WOT...which could cause some knock and the PCM will pull some timing, like someone else said. Is the intake stock on your ram?

You could also be running rich at WOT...which would kill power since running lean actually gives power. When you let off the throttle the a/f ratio leans back out and you get some more power. I'd check the throttle blade and make sure it's not all gunked up with carbon...it might not be opening all the way.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:06 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Double post...sorry

It also could just be the crappy factory tune. I know mine's not dead on because I get a crap load of soot in my tailpipe. Like someone else said, an aftermarket tune should clear it up depending on the cause.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

I'm guessing maybe the "Torque Management" programmed into the PCM to protect the drivetrain during WOT (If you have an automatic). My '98 was the same way you got as good or better accel under half to three quarter throttle than WOT. Between that and the closed loop of the sensors described by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn is probably what your finding. A good programmer or custom tune will really do wonders to get rid of that.

Last edited by Ramdamit98; 08-06-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM
FFMedic1479
All Star

I am pretty sure that Ramdamit is on the ball. I know that Superchips did a lot of work with their programming to remove or reduce the amount of Torque Management to improve throttle response. However, someone on this site removed a fuse or wire (someone can chime in to fill in the details) and disabled the torque management altogether and said they were just burning out silly. I imagine that long term that could be disasterous on the engine, tranny and axles... let alone the cost of replacing tires.

Quick Reply: New '05 ram 1500 quesetion about engine