3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

chip erased my computer

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 09:53 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: chip erased my computer

Dumb ***...wow just cuz you said something means you're right and calling someone dumb *** just shoves your point home. Im impressed. You MAKE time if you dont have it "dumb ***"...whoa, i forgot, your so smart and great and all that everybody needs to conform to YOU, not the other way around. Silly me...

Old 03-31-2008, 09:56 AM
Pyro
I Beat Tetris
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not just Dodge, my parents got jerked around by a GM dealership two years ago and now they own a Honda and a Nissan. Every car brand has good dealers and bad. The dealer I bought my truck from stands behind what they sell; the truck was already out of factory warrenty and the dealership offered a 30 month warrenty on the truck. I do agree with John M, the dealership shouldn't have to pay for something you are blatantly responsible for. Removing your tuner and acting like it wasn't there is dishonest, honesty is always the best policy. And if you don't give them a complete and accurate picture of what caused the problem, they could misdiagnose it as some kind of electrical problem and you'll end up spending more than the $30 bucks to reload the control program onto your PCM.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

what really sucks for ya is that the dealer will know you had a programmer hooked up and that it caused the problem(because as was mentioned before, they dont just erase themselves), then void your warranty in the chrysler computer/database so that the next time you have a problem with any of your electrical system like gauges, power windows/locks/mirrors, body control computer or damn near anything that has a wire going to it, you'll have to eat the repair yourself... sucks when you dont consider the consequences of your actions before you decide to mod something. That $400 programmer that gave you a whoopin 10-15 or so horsepower could potentially cost you thousands of bucks down the line.

Of course you never know, somehow you might snake through this unscathed and manage to get your computer reset with minimal trouble, but I bet you'll think twice about hooking another programmer up to it again.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
dwoods
Professional

i'm not saying i'm always right i'm just saying if you buy something you don't expect it to quit just after it goes out of warranty.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 AM
Avenger2NV

I'll give you another scenerao *sp* I was told by the service tach. at my dodge dealer not to take my truck into their shop because of the modifications i have. Body/suspension lift etc. He said it was heavily modified and the service manager would void any warranty i had. He suggested i take it to the dealer in the next town because they don't opperate that way. Also (totally different but still a horror story) I bought an 08 Avenger last month and the dealer added a$1500 package called "blue steel" It is a paint fabric protection pkg. I was never asked about it. They just snuck it in inbetween all the numbers. I caught it and told them i did not want it and thay acted like they "overlooked "it.. I'm not saying stick it to the man. I'm just saying it happens both ways ALL the time. Don't flame on the guy for his mistake. The way vehicles are made these days the dealer knows everything you have done to it just by plugging it up to their computer.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:37 AM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

and you know alot of the times Chrysler has gone out of their way to extend the benefits of warranties that have expired... one such instance is with the neon headgaskets. They kept replacing them on neons way way past many of them were so far out of warranty that they had transfered owners several times because they knew that they really had an issue with the bad gaskets they originally used . Another is with the Vipers in general, they continued covering them under warranty even though the time limit had expired because most owners didnt ever drive them and for the most part many of them had less thana third ofthe 36,000 miles accumulated by the time the 3 years was up. It was good business to take care of even the few owners(since there so few produced) of the Vipers, one because they were the current "halo" car and 2 because they probly belonged to owners that had potential small fleets of Chrysler autos.

Sometimes its all about the dealer you go to also, they could "backdate" the mileage to cover you if your only 200 miles out if they wanted to and if you had a good relationship with them. People should be more aware of the dealership you are buying your car from, if its a big corporation owned facility like an AutoNation or Sonic owned(not the restuarant) franchise then your probly not going to get the more personal perks you would if you bought it from a family owned business.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going to stay out of this discussion, because no matter what I say, I will be looked at as biased because of what I do for a living. But I feel that I need to add my 2 cents. A programmer is detectable even if you take it off before going it for warranty work. The software in the PCM does not just disappear, it has to be updated or erased. A good tech will know what happened to the original posters PCM. It may be able to be reprogrammed if the tech can obtain the original software version. If the PCM has to be replaced, the old "dead" PCM will have to be sent in as a core. When the "dead" PCM is diagnosed after it is sent in, the truth will again come out and the dealer can be charged back with the repair.
Should the dealer be responsible for the customer's error. Should the dealer have to pay for repairs that do not fall under the warranty. When should a customer take responsibility for THEIR actions.
As far as "standing behind what they sell". When you vehicle is out of warranty, it is out of warranty. Saying that its only out by 200 miles is not an valid argument. When the warranty is up, there is no difference between being out by 1 mile or 50,000 miles.
Lets see if this makes sense. You go to WalMart and buy a new big screen. Your buddy comes over to watch the big game and gets mad at his favorite team. He picks up a brick and throws it at the screen and kills the TV.. Would you take it back to WalMart and expect them to replace it for free?
I know that I will take some heat over this, but that is OK.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:50 AM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

AMEN Parts! Im not a dealer, im a customer and i couldnt agree with you more!

Old 03-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Ben D.
Champion

lol damn straight parts.

o and for the warped rotors issue. umm if it didn't happen over that 200 miles why ddin't you take the damn truck in before warranty was up. it doesn't take long to warp rotors buddy. one good time where ur on a hill with a load or something riding them and it's over. if you knew warranty was coming up it shoulda been ur priority to take it in.

plus wtf u bitching about rotors are like mebbe 200 dollars for better than stock ones. replace them urself it's not that hard

Old 03-31-2008, 01:46 PM
Avenger2NV

I guess your one of those service managers that knows nothing about "Customer Service" You have a customer that paid $20,000+ for a truck less than 1 year ago and are not willing to stand behind that $20,000 truck for a set of rotors that cost $20 a piece or better yet offer to resurface at the least. Its all about Customer service. What happened to "service after the sale". Did i go back when i was ready to buy that 08 Avenger... You damn right i didn't. I went to the dealer that took care of me and replaced the warped rotorsthat were 200 miles over theexpiration..

I sure hope your AC doesn't go out at 36,001 miles because i know you won't try and take it in.

Quick Reply: chip erased my computer