3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New found problem w/ truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Kendra02
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New found problem w/ truck

You guys...suck...lol
You let me down for once! []

We got it, changed the oil pressure switch, checked the oil. Well see how it does tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
RamItOne

its after 10 on a tuesday and you expect me to be sober???? WTF

Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Kendra02

Okay, when its in drive, but the brakes are on, it has the rattleing sound on the passenger side, under the hood.

AND

If, I'm driving for about agood 20 mins, then stop at a stop sign, the oil gauge will drop all the way down and the siren will go off, and as soon as I start driving again, it will go back up..

WHAT GIVES!!

Any ideas to either..
Cmon guys, a little mechanical common sense here. If the truck is rattleing at idle it is not the sending unit!The rattle indicates low oil pressure and the loss of pre load on the lifters.
possible causes can include stopped up oil pickup, faulty oil pump, mis installed rocker gear, mis installed cam saddle (ohc) worn main bearings or rod bearings. Or if your lucky it could be a faulty relief valve in the oil filter. Is it A new oil filter?

[IMG]local://upfiles/26683/E374BA0350D349CC98920409BB20B4C7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

ORIGINAL: Kendra02

Okay, when its in drive, but the brakes are on, it has the rattleing sound on the passenger side, under the hood.

AND

If, I'm driving for about agood 20 mins, then stop at a stop sign, the oil gauge will drop all the way down and the siren will go off, and as soon as I start driving again, it will go back up..

WHAT GIVES!!

Any ideas to either..
Cmon guys, a little mechanical common sense here. If the truck is rattleing at idle it is not the sending unit!The rattle indicates low oil pressure and the loss of pre load on the lifters.
possible causes can include stopped up oil pickup, faulty oil pump, mis installed rocker gear, mis installed cam saddle (ohc) worn main bearings or rod bearings. Or if your lucky it could be a faulty relief valve in the oil filter. Is it A new oil filter?

[IMG]local://upfiles/26683/E374BA0350D349CC98920409BB20B4C7.jpg[/IMG]
Last time I checked, lifters do not "rattle" due to a lack of oil. They sure will tick bad though, this is why I asked the question if the engine sounds bad when the oil pressure "drops". The answer was no, engine sounds the same. Based on that my feeling is the rattle is something that was not installed properly after she had her head work done.

You very well may have the faulty issue in your massive list of things that could be wrong. But how would you feel if you had tore down anengine to fix a problem that was 15 minutes and $30?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
rammindodge03
Rookie

That's true 94rt10ohio

Old 04-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

I wouldnt be throwing parts at it unless I knew for sure what the problem is. Even a 30.00$ sending unit can be verified with a mechanical gauge before spending money on a part.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong....

Old 04-16-2008, 10:29 AM
dreman
Professional

ORIGINAL: Horseapples

I wouldnt be throwing parts at it unless I knew for sure what the problem is. Even a 30.00$ sending unit can be verified with a mechanical gauge before spending money on a part.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong....
It may be cheaper to buy a sending unit than buy a mechanical gauge to check it that you may never need again, and probably couldn't find next time it comes up 15 years from now.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:11 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

Hey, it matters not to me, its not my truck. If she wishes to throw parts at it untill the end of time it will not make a difference to me, so rock on "shotgun trouble shooting" will eventually fix the problem. If enough parts are changed, you'r bound to hit the faulty part eventually!

On another note, a bottle of Rislone is a good investment, if having the heads off broke lose some grime that is now clogging an oil passage.

http://www.barsproducts.com/100QR.htm

Old 04-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Kendra02
Professional

Okay guys, after what you guys said, my uncle said the same thing. So, I DID go buy the switch and so far..it WORKED!!

It hasnt done it once today.

The rattling, is the A/C compressor, my dad thinks its about to go out, so, hes going to start looking for another one.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Well.... How about them apples

Quick Reply: New found problem w/ truck