3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Front License Plate
34.78%
No Front License Plate
65.22%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

...Front License Plates.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
jstmahoney
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ...Front License Plates.....

Just wondering if I'm the only one that HATES the look of the front license plate. My lame state (california) requires that you have them. Regardless, I took it off my truck. It looks a lot better with out it on, but the holes are noticeble.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: ...Front License Plates.....

No holes on my trucks, dealer asked when I bought my 05, do you want the frame mounted?Of course I said no. Got lucky with the SRT since I bought that used. OH requires them as well. I have got two tickets over the span of 15 years, well worth the price.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
bigskycowboy

There is a reason that front liscence plates are required. It is also the same reason they replace them every few years with bright shinny Very reflective new plates. As you, I, and everyone else on this forum love to fly down the highway blowing the doors off of the Fords and Chevys, Trooper Richard Head has his radar gun out and that radar bounces off the reflective plate we all hate and tells that Trooper exactly how fast we are flying. SO hate it, despise it, it doesn't matter, they make us put it on. I got a ticket for taking mine off for that exact reason.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:53 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That radar thing is a myth. Trust me, plate or no plate, they are reading your speed.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
RamItOne

Jstmahoney you live in Beaner land, I live in another Beaner land called Texas. We have em cause we're a border state. At mile marker 27 they have a camera taking pics of all vehicles going north and south.
Yeah I'd rather not havem cause my bull bar would look better. But when I'm in fla I'm gonna keep my front tx tag on.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:58 PM
josh213corbs
Professional

The only reason I voted for 'front plate' is because my state, CO, also requires front plates.

I like the look without front plates, but figure since the holes are there anyway (and noticable as you said), I might as well leave it.

I actually got pulled over yesterday and found out that cops actually use the front plates. I'll try keep this short...

I was driving behind a cop on the highway doing the speed limit, 75. He moved over to the right lane, so I figured I'd test my luck and see if I could pass him. I pumped my cruise control up to about 78, 79 and passed him.

IMMEDIATELYhe pulled behind me and lit me up. I pulled over and had a discussion with the dude (nice guy). He explained that while I was behind him he had already zoomed his camera in to read my license plate and ran my information. He said he already knew that the last time I got pulled I got off with a warning when I was doing 22 over. He said that that must have been my lucky day.

Then he explained that he was also gunning me from behind as I was approaching him (gunned me at 87). Well...this, also, must have been my lucky day because he let me off with a warning.

Anyway...sorry for the story, but this is one reason why I'm sure cops like having the law in place for the front plates.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:03 PM
bigskycowboy

Radar and plate corilation is not a myth, you can still get a ticket, in anyone of your rigs, called laser tag. But law enforcemnet in Mauberry with Shriff Griffin does not usually have laser, they have radar or they pace you. Until there is a nation wide system to detect radar front plates will ne required. There is no other reason for a front plate. That is why in most states the new tag is only put on the rear, because the rear is what the officers see, and what they go off to run plate numbers. I guess I should have mentioned that I was a cop in Montana

Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM
josh213corbs
Professional

If you read my last post you would know that cops use boths plates to run info. Here in 'Rado anyway.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:17 PM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iowa reuires em, michigan doesnt....when i still lived in Iowa, i took the plate and bracket off and never got a ticket in 1 1/2 yrs....i like it much better without, cops still haven't said anything when i go back home

Old 04-21-2008, 05:38 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

in virginia front plates r required. however, i hated the look and in the three years i lived there i never put one on. luckily i was never bothered. we now live in west virginia where a front plate is not thankfully distributed.

Quick Reply: ...Front License Plates.....