3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hemi Plugs and TB...what a difference.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Plugs and TB...what a difference.

Just wanted to thank the folks & info on this site. I had run two sets of Champion Plats in the truck with no gains in mpg or power. At 115K miles, decided to seafoam the chambers and put some stock copper Champions back in. Pulled the TB...the blade was actually sticking, quite a bit of junk on the back side of the TB. After about half an hour and a billion q-tips, I could see that there was originally a slight bypass with the blade closed...couldnt see it before.

I remember how much fun it is to drive this truck now! 2 mpg gain, and tires smoke at 1/4 throttle from a stop. I can't remember the last time it could do that!. Thanks for providing so much info.

Truck is an 05 Ram 1500 SCSB w/ hemi.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Hemi Plugs and TB...what a difference.

I can't believe that the plug interval is only 35K on these things.
But yes, the copper plugs fire better than platinum, they just don't last as long.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:51 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie

How long should I expect these coppers to last? I did the first change around 40K and the second around 80K. I'm at 115K now. And by the way my ribcage and fingers feel, I don't want to be under that hood doing this change again for a WHILE. Also, when is it a good time to change the EGR?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:03 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

I'm guessing you changed the plugs and cleaned the TB at the same time. Plugs are plugs, gap them right and they all fire the same...some last longer then others and that's what you pay for. The gain you feel is from getting that crap out of your TB...now the throttle balde can actually move. Did you use some CRC carb/TB cleaner?

Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

30K is the recommended interval change with the stock plugs on the 5.7

With that said I did mine, when I pulled them they did not look that bad and the gaps were not far off.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:56 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie

The gaps on the old plugs were still pretty close to .045. I hope to get another 30K out of the coppers. I used brake cleaner on the TB. most of the buildup was on the back side of the TB. With the amount of gunk near the blade rim, I imagine the TB motor had to work double time trying to keep idle near 600. Took a while to get it all clean...didn't want to fill the TB with cleaner as some on here have mentioned the negative effects on the internals. I also ran 1/2 a can of seafoam through the brake booster before changing plugs.

One thing I noticed today was the change in downshift delay...two days ago, it would take almost full pedal to force the truck to downshift when it was in 5th at low speeds, now I just tap the pedal.

Old 07-03-2008, 07:12 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

looks like i'm due for this kind of maintenance. how did you do your seafoam? just dip the vac tube in the bottle or let it "sip" a little at a time?

Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

Just wondering, but how much of a pain in the *** is it to change the plugs in a hemi? I have an 04 QC with 66K kilometers on it, and I'm pretty sure the plugs have only been changed once. Looking under the hood, it seems like I'll end up going through hell to get them out/in. And just to add what I'm sure is a stupid question in here, the TB you guys are talking about is a throttle body right?

Old 07-03-2008, 08:04 PM
eastxHEMIram
Rookie

Yes, TB=throttle body. And as long as you have the right tools, it's not too bad of a job...I always do the four under the brake booster first....then the rest come easy. You'll need a short & long extension, u joint. (oh, and 10mm socket for the coil packs). For the rear 4 on the driver side, you have to drop the plug socket in the chamber, then the extension, then the ujoit...one at a time to get them to fit under the booster. Once you get these out of the way, your ribs will be aching & you'll prolly have some cuts/bruises...but the rest go quick.

As for the seafoam, I held the can opening close to the booster line & tipped it slowly...the vacuum is strong enough to draw it in slowly. If you go too quick, the motor stalls out. I let it draw about 1/3 of the can then stalled it out & let it sit for about 15 min. Cranked it and put the rest in the tank.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Tonyo88
Professional

Alright, thanks for the directions. Probably go buy some new plugs this evening.

Quick Reply: Hemi Plugs and TB...what a difference.