3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hydrogen Generator

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 03:20 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm becoming more of a believer in this thing. bwhite is reporting gains, and i believe him. that's 2 people i consider reputable vouching for this thing. and, what i think is helping me believe this more is that me and two guys i work with sat down and figured out how this thing might work (weekly friday afternoon design session). these guys have much more experience than me in the world of engineering.

what had baffled me to this point was that it is impossible for the addition of hydrogen as energy to be the reason for the gain in mpg, since it is created using energy from the engine and goes through a loop with lots of efficiency losses.

knowing that, we looked for another reason this might work. here's what we found from a couple good sources:
1. adding hydrogen will actually increase the speed of the flame front during combustion, increasing the rate of pressure rise, and also the peak pressure in the cylinder>>results in an increase in thermal efficiency>>results in more power.
2. the addition of hydrogen also allows your engine to run in a stable condition with a leaner a/f ratio.

so your engine can run in a much leaner condition, be stable and smooth, and create as much power while doing it because of the increase in pressure.

of course there is a downside. the increased rate of pressure rise and increased peak pressure is also the downside in this case. both will contribute to faster ring and bore wear due to more gas loading of the ring, and may lead to premature fatigue failure of rings (though that is VERY VERY unlikely in a gas automotive engine). i figure in an engine that can take turbocharging and supercharging, this is not gonna do much at all. the downside seems minimal to me.

i'd appreciate any comments on this, as our theory is in no way bulletproof. but i'm excited about trying this thing now.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:02 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it much more likely that
'fires in oil' sleeve
is causing the O2 sensor output to falsely read slightly higher air/fuel ratio,
which will cause the PCM computer to react by trying to lean the air/fuel
and the leaner air/fuel will improve the MPG when in closed loop mode.

it would be easy to test for whether this is the case
by just leaving out all the water and chemicals in the reaction vessel.

There is no controversy that running air to fuel ratios leaner than 14.7
will improve fuel economy
but that defeats the NOx pollution reduction of standard 3-way catalytic converters.

Those older will remember the "Chrysler Lean Burn" systems
and the Honda systems with the rich air/fuel pre-chamber and lean main cylinder.

Just as people in the know realize that regular old gasoline will show some acetone in a mass spectrograph scan,
anyone how has studied detonation knows that the heat of compression and initial burning breaks gasoline down so that the 'end gas' that burns last in the combustion chamber is no longer gasoline, but contains a mix that contains hydrogen gas.

How is almost all the hydrogen gas you can buy in bottles from a welding supply company like AirCo come from?

That hydrogen gas is made by 'stripping' natural gas, in a process similar to what happens naturally in your engine.

"Hydrogen stabilizes the flame and allows leaner burning"
Baloney !

Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

an abstract from an SAE paper. this one is talking about mixing hydrogen with natural gas, we suspect similar affects when adding it to gasoline:

"An experimental investigation has been carried out to assess the effects on lean limits and flame characteristics of natural gas through hydrogen addition. For this purpose, pure methane (simulating natural gas) and HYTHANE, a blend of 20 percent hydrogen and 80 percent methane (by volume), were used. Tests were conducted using a 2.0-liter Nissan dual spark plug, four-cylinder engine, to measure in-cylinder flamefront growth rats using pure methane and hythane as a fuel. All the tests were conducted at light load conditions similar to those in US urban driving. After achieving considerable improvements in the lean limits, another set of tests were conducted with a 1.6-liter Toyota four-cylinder engine to measure changes in brake thermal efficiency and emissions. The results showed that hythane increased the flame speeds of natural gas and extended its lean limits thus enabling the engine to operate at very lean equivalence ratios with improved brake thermal efficiency and reduced exhaust emission."

Old 08-16-2008, 03:30 PM
craig4465
Rookie

is that map enhancer a plug and play ? how does it hook up ? ive got my own homemade hho cell i had on my dakota. thinking about putting it on my 08 ram 4.7l but i dont want to start cutting up my wiring harness.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:13 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

non-fraud hydrogen vehicles traveling for you to see yourself,
including a BMW that is dual fuel gasoline and hydrogen

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-10...?tag=nefd.lede

if you are looking for old SAE papers
there is at least one about adding hydrogen gas to gasoline/air mix
that i remember reading

Old 08-16-2008, 05:56 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by craig4465
is that map enhancer a plug and play ? how does it hook up ? ive got my own homemade hho cell i had on my dakota. thinking about putting it on my 08 ram 4.7l but i dont want to start cutting up my wiring harness.
No it's not plug and play. You have to cut the signal wire off of the MAP sensor, and hook the enhancer between the cuts. However, your 4.7 is a Flexfuel truck, and from what I've read, in most cases flexfuel vehicles will not require adjustment as the addition of Hydrogen gas will tell the computer you're running on E85, which supposedly does all the work for you...

Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 AM
craig4465
Rookie
Default sweet

Originally Posted by bwhite757
No it's not plug and play. You have to cut the signal wire off of the MAP sensor, and hook the enhancer between the cuts. However, your 4.7 is a Flexfuel truck, and from what I've read, in most cases flexfuel vehicles will not require adjustment as the addition of Hydrogen gas will tell the computer you're running on E85, which supposedly does all the work for you...
Well I'm going to build a new cell and hook it up on my new 4.7 flex fuel. I've got the computer that shows avg mpg so i should get some instant results. At the moment it gets about 15.5mpg but only has 140 miles on it. i think before the hho system goes on i would like to get at least 500 miles on her.
I like the design of the smack booster and will give it a try. have you or anyone else tried a pulse width modulator?
i'm not sure how the computer will react to the HHO. But my Dakota did just fine, i got a solid 5 mpg increase. with no other mods.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
bwhite757
All Star

I've rearranged the way my cell is hooked up now, here's a vid for anyone that wants to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfFnms0Dvdw

Old 08-18-2008, 07:37 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

sweet! keep us updated. part of the reason your making more is because you're decreasing the pressure in the top of the generator, so it's easier for gas to form, just like it's easier to boil water with lower pressure.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:46 PM
bwhite757
All Star

Yep, the lower boiling point was a concern for a minute, but after checking the amount of vacuum inside the generator is 13 in/HG at idle, which makes the boiling point of water 184.61, and my cell runs a little over 130 at full temp...

Quick Reply: Hydrogen Generator