3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory oil filter fun today

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 10:47 PM
throberts
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory oil filter fun today

Hey guys....did my first oil change on my new truck today. Went with Mobil 1 and a K&N filter...I've changed oil on lots of vehicles, but never did it take so long as it did today. Went to remove the factory installed oil filter and bent not 1 but 2 filter wrenches in the process. OK...so after an hour of fighting it I went back to the auto store and got one of those caps you tap into the top of a filter to unscrew. Did not play around this time.....beat it on with a rub mallet and took my impact wrench with a 1" socket to it. Came off thank god...I had visions of towing back to Dodge if I sheared the filter in half. I looked at what was left of the mangled factory Mopar filter and noticed that there was no rubber gasket on the filter....strange, I've never seen one without a gasket. At any rate, they really cranked it on during assembly, so be warned new truck owners who do your own maintenance.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:06 PM
dazed01
Veteran

Did you make sure to get the gasket off that was probably stuck on the block? Double gasketing is bad news. Factory filters are usually on pretty good and sometimes the gasket will stick to the filter adapter.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 PM
throberts
Professional

yeah...i was worried about that and shined the flash light up into the block where the filter threads...nothing but clean metal there. No gasket.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by throberts
yeah...i was worried about that and shined the flash light up into the block where the filter threads...nothing but clean metal there. No gasket.
i've never heard of an oil filter without a gasket. that's probably y it's such a pain to get off though. glad to hear you didn't have to get it towed. i've never had the ***** to stick a screwdriver through a filter for fear of the same thing, though there have been times when it would have been a whole lot easier.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:45 AM
Outlaws

delete

Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM
ryland
Rookie

same thing happened to me. Could not get the filter off, I had to call my friend who's a logger with arms the size of tree trunks to come over and get it off. I watched him reef on that thing and I swar to god he was moveing the truck he was wrenching so hard! That really has me scared for when I have to change the trasmission fluid because it has the same spin on style oil filter! Might just take it to the dealer for the first one and tell them not to air gun the filter back on.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:53 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That's why I'll be using my free oil change coupon issued by my dealer for the first oil change

There is another Dodge dealer in town that is doing free oil changes (Valvoline oil and filter) on any vehicle. Cost $3.77 for tax and disposal fees. (up to 5 qts) Unlimited vehicles and they say it will be going on for a very long time.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Across three or four forums that I frequent, I've seen the same post dozens of times. Obviously there's one of them robotic oil filter tighteners that's set a lot too torquey. Many, many posts about guys having to destroy the filter to get the initial one off of '08s...

Old 08-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mopar filter should have had a rubber seal on it.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:43 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Brings back memories...

Quick Reply: factory oil filter fun today