3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Paintin my grill/Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:28 AM
DanTheDodgeDood
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paintin my grill/Bumper

I want to paint my stock colored grill/bumper to match my white truck.
Any ideas on easiest way to do so? What paint should I use? Do I need to take them off the truck? Id like it to match my truck exactly if possible... Should I just pay someone to do it?

Sorry never painted A CAR/TRUCK before ..

Thx

Old 10-02-2008, 07:47 AM
sos
All Star

If you've never painted a car/truck before, I'd say pay someone to have it done. Prep work is the key, and if you don't do it right, the paint is going to look lousy or peel off. I don't think it would be that expensive to have someone do it. Call a couple of body shops in your area and tell them exactly what you want to get some idea on price. And yes, they are going to have to take it off to paint it, but that's not hard.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:27 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

+1. Get someone to paint it.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation

Duplicolor is a good way to go but you must sand and prep first. One warning.....
Painted front grill and bumper chips very very easy with normal road driving. I know a lot of guys on other car forums that are pissed off because the fine rocks and bugs are chipping their newly painted grilles.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:41 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Originally Posted by DanTheDodgeDood
I want to paint my stock colored grill/bumper to match my white truck.
Any ideas on easiest way to do so? What paint should I use? Do I need to take them off the truck? Id like it to match my truck exactly if possible... Should I just pay someone to do it?

Sorry never painted A CAR/TRUCK before ..

Thx
What they said, pay someone. If you decide to do it yourself, to save some money, then do it right. I have painted before, easiest paint, IMO, is Acrylic Enamel paint, it dries shiney, and allows you to wet sand, and find you low spots. Base coat clear coat, IMO, is a pia. Depending on how slick you want it, and like said before, rocks will get it, I would sand with a 400grit, if its in bad shape go with a rougher grit. For a grille/bumper, I wouldn't go any finer, but thats me, 400 is good enough. Take them off, shouldn't be too hard. As for the paint matching, its hit and miss, every mix WILL be a bit different. Good luck, if you paint it, thats good, everyone has to start, knowing nothing, I know I did.....lol.

I just painted my 67 Chevy swb tailgate. I shaved the chrome strip on the gate, handle stayed, took out the places where you can see where the outta skin was spot welded, in 67, and it took me 10-12 hours, on a gate. Painting is hard, and needs time, but you will like the end results.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Oh, and as for the chips in paint, if you use more coats of clear, the rocks are more likely to bouce off. Also more clear coats, and you have more times you can buff, and wet sand things out.

Old 10-02-2008, 04:37 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

When I saw it about painting the dash, it wasn't done professionally, and it still looked good. Being outside all the time it would require more attention and time, but it wouldn't be that hard if you have time and equipment to put into the project.
http://www.expertvillage.com/video-s..._paint-car.htm
If you want to paint it yourself. That's what Google brought up for me.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:04 PM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to rhino line my bumpers and quater panels, no rocks will chip that and its black but they can also color match to any car. I've seen a couple trucks like this and I like it.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:48 PM
WhiteBerry
Veteran

sick... i gotta see trucks with rhino on the bumpers & quarters!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
whiteram05
Professional
Default My Painted bumpers and grille

I just had my white 05 Ram painted. I do not posses the skills to paint so I bit the bullet and paid a body shop to spray the bumpers, mirrors, and grille. The truck came out great!

I paid $340. That may sound high to some, but considering I can't paint? Great price to me, plus I did not have to worry about matching the color.

Quick Reply: Paintin my grill/Bumper