3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 ram hemi - any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM
ldman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 ram hemi - any suggestions?

I'm new to the forum and new to Dodge and I've been looking at making a few changes to my truck. I have a 2008 RAM crew cab, short box, 4WD, and the hemi.

I was thinking the first thing that will probably go on there will be a cold air intake and then i was thinking about a new ECM. Body stuff is something i'm usually less impressed with, i want a nice engine sound and good performance. I'd like to keep the first job under 5 grand.

The only thing is it's a company truck, i'd rather the boss didn't know i was doing any of this, so the less obvious it is visually, the better.

I guess what i'm after is some tips from people just starting to mod their truck, or experienced modders who know the pitfalls. What do i have to worry about warranty, what's the best bang for my buck, what's the easiest install? I'm not a mechanic by any means, but screws, bolts, hoses, and clamps i can handle.

Who can help me get started or point me to a great guide.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:48 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

Cold air intake, exhaust, superchips. They are all fairly easy to install and you will deff be under your 5 grand mark. From there you could go with new cams/heads if you wanted to spend some more money. I'm just curious as to why you would be doing this on a company truck? Do you plan on getting it/buying it later on?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:22 PM
ldman

For all intents and purposes it is my truck. The only reason it's in the company's name is so that i don't have to pay insurance (I'm a 20yo male -crazy rates) and so that i can lend it out to customers. At the end of the lease, i either get a new truck or i get this one transferred, either way im happy.

I'm not big into researching too much, i'd kinda just like some suggestions on a good start, especially if there are brands that are recommended. The big worry for me is that if i mess up the warranty. I know the local dodge guy and he looks the other way on a lot of stuff for me, but anything that is easily changed back to new is best.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:45 PM
ldman

So after diggin around this site so far, i think what i want to do is for sure get a cold air intake - any suggestions for brands anyone? Easy/hard to install?

Next is going to be a chip - don't need a lot of extra power, i'd like something that i can adjust fairly easily though

After that will be dual exhaust, can you put true dual exhaust on this? Do i have to fabricate the pipe or are there kits for it?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:59 PM
thehemiman12345
All Star

K&N is always a popular cold air intake, many people also choose to go the budget route and get an ebay intake. As for a chip, superchips is an obvious choice but there are a couple other out there. For your exhaust setup, you can put true duals on but it'll cost ya more than just a standard single in/dual out muffler with the pipe. If you wanted to spend some more $$ on the exhaust you could also get a set of headers. Don't know too much about headers for the hemi but there are a few guys on here that em that might chime in....

Cold air intake you could install, unless you weld or have a friend that can you most likely will have to go to a shop for the exhaust....and the chips are usually just a plug and play...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
jkillman
Professional

It takes about 30 minutes to put in a CAI. Real easy stuff. true duals would be nice, dont see them thaat much on trucks. You say you have 5 grand to spend, if i were you i would get a supercharger or turbo. Alot of power, sounds great. Just my 2 cents

Old 11-12-2008, 12:10 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

You won't gain a lot of power from the CAI. I would use an Airaid MIT tube #300-924-1 and a high flow replacement stock filter. The restrictive part is the resonator (Hemi Hat) over the throttlebody, not the air box.
As for exhaust, I would wait until Magnaflow updates their kits to fit the 08. Dodge changed cat converter vendors in 08 so they are having to modify the kit to fit the new Y-pipe.
A Diablosport Predator will give the most gain. 20rwhp in 92 octane trim.
The 3 combined would make a nice set-up.

Last edited by lxman1; 11-12-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:05 AM
ldman

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Is a modular intake tube the same as a CAI?

I don't want to turbo or supercharge, i would be killed.

Is superchips is the best?

I don't think i'll go true duals, sounds like too much work.

Someone mentioned headers...what am i gonna get from that?

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

call around to different exhaust shops in your area you will save alot of money by having them do a custom setup than buying a catback kit from the muffler manufacturers. I went flowmaster 40 series single 3 inch in 2.5 inch dual out 40 series, the 2.5 inch pipes are custom bent around my spare tire and exit behind the tires on each side with some nice 3 inch slach cut tips. I paid $240 for that setup. I got a volant intake for $220. . You have $5000 grand to spend. if it were mine i would:
Intake- $200-$300 for name brand
Exhaust:
Headers ( long tube)- $300-$600 depending on the coating
2 high flow cats - $200-$300
Custom ypipe to custom cat back exhaust - Under $500
E-fan: around $300
Programmer: depends what your looking for superchips is $350 give or take.
cam: around $1000 installed
gears: 4.56 gears with aftermarket lsd $1000-$1800 installed ( depends on parts)
180 Thermostat: $30
did i spend $5000 yet?? haha thats just an example of how i would spend it. Of course i would probably go right for supercharged or turbo if i had $5000

Old 11-12-2008, 01:15 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ldman
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Is a modular intake tube the same as a CAI?

I don't want to turbo or supercharge, i would be killed.

Is superchips is the best?

I don't think i'll go true duals, sounds like too much work.

Someone mentioned headers...what am i gonna get from that?

The stock set-up is a CAI as well. The MIT pipe uses the stock air box (plenty efficient) and replaces the restrictive resonator over the throttlebody (where it says 5.7L Hemi)
Diablosport Predator is the best programmer www.diablosport.com

Quick Reply: 2008 ram hemi - any suggestions?