3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is wrong with BFG All Terrain KO'S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Ridinhigh
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went mudding this weekend and had no problem what so ever with traction and there is almost no road noise just enough to know your running a/t's but as far as wet traction on roads i think they suck they spin out all the time and i also got in a wreck because of the tires i lost traction doing no more than normal driving and now i need a new bumper they work fine off road but for wet the are not that good

Old 11-19-2008, 12:49 AM
6 hemi ram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but you do have the hemi!!! any tire will spin easily on wet pavement with the hemi. sounds like user error to me.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 AM
jankerson
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
They certainly don't treat your wallet too well that's for sure. The AT's are the highest cost tires in their class. I cannot believe people fork over that kind of money when there are better tires for Much less money!
Exactly.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:53 AM
ce2flaco
Veteran

I run a very aggressive tire on my Dodge but have run the BFG AT's on my work truck for years. I agree that they do most things well. They work great for me in the sand, mild rocks and mild mud that i find on remote job sites. No isues on the road either averaging about a set a year at 40-50k miles a year. More than all of those things i like the puncture resistance. I have never...ever had a flat with a BFG AT. Maybe it's dumb luck, but i had two flats in the stock tires in the first year on the truck.
Even though they do wear a bit faster, i'll pay a bit more and have a quality tire that hasn't let me down so far. Tires are super important and BFG has been top of the line for a long time. One high speed blow out can kill you. I'm not mounting a set of generic small time tires and then crossing my fingers. I prefer to stick with what has worked for years.
That being said, if buying tires will break someones bank account...then you might have no choice but to cross your fingers. Every situation is different.

Good luck.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:42 AM
jankerson
Professional

Originally Posted by ce2flaco
I run a very aggressive tire on my Dodge but have run the BFG AT's on my work truck for years. I agree that they do most things well. They work great for me in the sand, mild rocks and mild mud that i find on remote job sites. No isues on the road either averaging about a set a year at 40-50k miles a year. More than all of those things i like the puncture resistance. I have never...ever had a flat with a BFG AT. Maybe it's dumb luck, but i had two flats in the stock tires in the first year on the truck.
Even though they do wear a bit faster, i'll pay a bit more and have a quality tire that hasn't let me down so far. Tires are super important and BFG has been top of the line for a long time. One high speed blow out can kill you. I'm not mounting a set of generic small time tires and then crossing my fingers. I prefer to stick with what has worked for years.
That being said, if buying tires will break someones bank account...then you might have no choice but to cross your fingers. Every situation is different.

Good luck.
I have run many different brands of tires over the years on my cars and trucks including BFG and have found as long as you are careful in what you are buying you are fine. Doing research is important as some tire just don't last or have other issues. Along time ago I had 2 belt separations running really good tires while driving to Fl (car).

One thing I have found is with tires is spending huge money on them doesn't mean they will be any better than the other guys tires. I have had problems with big money tires before wearing out very fast and getting flats while the other guys tires lasted a lot longer with no problems.

But no I wouldn't buy $35 tires for a car or $50 tires for a truck. It really depends on how you will be using them and how hard you are on your truck/tires, driving style etc.

My Definity Dakota AT's have been great sofar and I have talked to others that have been running them and all of them love them. They are made by Cooper and are alittle more agressive than the BFG KO's but with a similar tread pattern.

Last edited by jankerson; 11-22-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:23 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the original BFG rugged trails (E-rated) on mine and I have over 90K on them right now, and I'm thinking they may go to 100K----no B.S.!!!!

My driving is obvously mostly highway, but while I won't swear by them, I'd consider buying them again.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:02 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

If mostly Highway, then I would suggest the BFG Long Trail T/A's Sam's club has them priced right. They worked well on my 01 Ford F150 OFFROAD 4x4. Quiet on pavement, good in the rain, and worked well in 14" of snow.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:14 AM
WVMedic
Amateur

I have the BFG A/T's on my truck. I'm not very impressed with them, They seem to hydroplane very easy and seem to ride on top of slush, making my winter time driving a very interesting time to say the least. Seems like the siping on the tires is the problem. All my driving is on road so I couldn't tell you about how they are off. If you have your heart set on that type of tire or tread pattern you might want to check out General Grabber A/T's. Same tread pattern, half the price and the reviews at Tirerack.com are very good for this tire.

Quick Reply: What is wrong with BFG All Terrain KO'S?