3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with Magnaflow exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:48 AM
southerntp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after driving it through the neighborhood at 6am this morning, I am afraid that it is just totally too loud. Do you think that going with a longer muffler will quiten it down a bit. I want a good sounding exhaust dont get me wrong but I also dont want my neighbors slashing my tires for waking them up at 6am. Will bringing the pipes out the back further quiten it down alot also? If so then do you think the muffler should be moved closer to the fron to the truck because it is right at the rear end?

Old 12-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by southerntp
Well after driving it through the neighborhood at 6am this morning, I am afraid that it is just totally too loud. Do you think that going with a longer muffler will quiten it down a bit. I want a good sounding exhaust dont get me wrong but I also dont want my neighbors slashing my tires for waking them up at 6am. Will bringing the pipes out the back further quiten it down alot also? If so then do you think the muffler should be moved closer to the fron to the truck because it is right at the rear end?
In general, the larger the muffler the quieter it is. Also, if you run the pipes out the rear or out the side it should stop some of the droning that you are having.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:28 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

no question about it, go to a longer muffler. I have an 18" out the back of the truck, and there is just a minimal amount of drone, but not nearly enough to hinder conversation. if you keep the turn down like you have, you will still get some drone with an 18", and might want to go to the 24".

Old 12-03-2008, 08:39 AM
southerntp

What length magnaflow muffler do most of you guys run? Like I said the overall length of this one that is on it is 14". I think that is too small. He said that he can run both of the pipes over the axle and angle them out some and still make it so that you cannot see the pipes. He said that would do away with some of the drone but I still think that the length of the muffler is the major problem. What do you guys think? What is the part number of the universal muffler most of you guys use? What I have found is that a part #12388 is the 24" one I think you guys are talking about and part #12288 is the 18" one. I would really like to do away with as much of the drone as possible but I am worried that the 24" will quiten it down so much that I will have wasted my money even buying the exhaust. I know I am picky but I am a diesel mechanic and dont know sh*t about a gas burner. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
ram-fjallasport
Rookie
Talking

hi
I mounted a magnaflow 2 month ago.
this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/dodge...mZ350132376280
But I orded pipes that fit to the 94-01. my Ram is a 02. so I had to do a little mod's. but I fixed that wit no problem.
The problem was to go around the petrol tank and over the rear end.
se the pictures and maybe you see the solution.
The sound is wonderfull, I love it!

Last edited by ram-fjallasport; 12-07-2008 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this 4 times this summer. Tried 4 diffrent mufflers to get rid of the drone. The IMCO 24" si/do was the winner. No Drone. Search my threads and you will find alot of information on this. http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...MCOmuffler.flv

Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 AM
southerntp

So should I go with the 18 or the 24? Do you think that both of these will be fine with turndowns? I talked to the guy at the exhaust shop and he said that if I will let him know which one to get that he will swap it out for the one on the truck now. I just need to know if it will still be fine with the turndowns or do I need to have him run the pipes out further. I know I am definately not going to run them all the way out the back. Thanks

Old 08-04-2019, 12:36 PM
Tj Sutherland

but do u loose power with a longer muffler ?

Old 08-04-2019, 12:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

11 year old thread.... Don't hold your breath on an answer.

Quick Reply: Problems with Magnaflow exhaust!