3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Do you need exhaust piping after the muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 01:26 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you need exhaust piping after the muffler?

So if you dump your exhaust after the muffler does that hurt performance/torque? Would the power band be better if you ran the exhaust tip all the way to the back/or out the side of the truck vs. just dumping it after the muffler??

Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
RubberFrog
Champion

If your run more than 6-12 inches, it's not really dumped.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

In cab resonance is gonna be very loud for any dumped muffler. Piping out the side will cut that down alot! For a stock engine, there's no benefit for a dumped muffler. IMO

Old 12-10-2008, 02:13 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by dirtydog
In cab resonance is gonna be very loud for any dumped muffler. Piping out the side will cut that down alot! For a stock engine, there's no benefit for a dumped muffler. IMO
ditto

Old 12-10-2008, 02:27 PM
08DodgeTRX
Professional

Well I'm gonna follow AIRRAM's sage advice and put in a new Y collector 2.5" to a single 3" over to a magnaflow single in/out 3 inch system.

Its going to be custom b/c their are no systems for the 08s that replace the Y. And I am trying to figure out where the exhaust should come out. I like the look of the side exits, and rear exit but only if its dual out.

I think a single tip out the rear of a truck looks goofy, b/c it looks unbalanced, maybe b/c when i was 16 everybody and their mom had duals out the back. I like the look of duals out in front of the rear tire also but am not sure what it would look like with a single out the side.

I am leaning towards single side exit before the rear tire to avoid drone in the cab but i would prefer a hidden dump near the very back, but I'm not sure it could be done without being clearly visible and causing drone in the cab.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:33 PM
TRXHemi
Record Breaker

Flowmaster makes a nice Y for our application.....like 2.5" in and 3" out.....Jeg's has them for about $40. I did a Thrush 2 chamber with a SO in the stock location. I just had them cut off the stock tip and weld on a new chrome one. Take a look............

Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM
SmokeySportRam
Captain

EVERYBODY has duals now, and side exit isnt that special. Its kinda fun having people look at my truck when they hear a nice rumble but only see a stock looking single rear exhaust pipe (and tip). I have the thrust turbo muffler.

Im dubbing it the stealth single exhaust

Last edited by SmokeySportRam; 12-10-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 PM
jkillman
Professional

Originally Posted by SmokeySportRam
EVERYBODY has duals now, and side exit isnt that special. Its kinda fun having people look at my truck when they hear a nice rumble but only see a stock looking single rear exhaust pipe (and tip). I have the thrust turbo muffler.

Im dubbing it the stealth single exhaust
Im with that a 110%. the first thing people do when they hear a loud truck is look at the tailpipes. I like having the stock tail pipe with my big tip. Kinda looks like a diesel too

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 PM
pants

what size muffler do i need to replace stock on 2008 hemi? looking at flowmaster or thrust turbo. Going to keep stock rear after muffler.
need to know offsets lengths and diameters.
thanks
pants

Last edited by pants; 12-10-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:02 PM
fish n chicks
Rookie

I used a borla single in, dual out, and used to have dual chrome tips right next to each other, exiting at the rear of the truck. I got A LOT of compliments on that, cause not many do it.

Now I have the pipes slashcut just after the muffler (due to a **** weld job), and It sucks. When i get the means to do so, i'm gettin it redone. It all depends on your annoyance threshold. I love the sound of my exhaust... but it would've been nice to have had a little less in the cab.

Quick Reply: Do you need exhaust piping after the muffler?