3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Intake tube only

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 PM
ramhunter9
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess i just need to get creative and find something . i cant run without it or can i????

Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

You need it. It tells the computer the temp of the air coming into the engine to help calculate the proper ammount of fuel to inject and how to adjust the timing.

Old 12-20-2008, 12:23 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

got it i found a gromet from an old lawn tractor it works perfectly. theres always a way to get things done you just got to be creative

Old 12-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Jetboater

I installed an Airaid air filter and the tube and my fuel mileage dropped 1.5 - 2 mpg. It sounds good though. The company says up to a 400 cfm increase with the tube......if that's true, is the computer adding more fuel with it. The fuel is going somewhere.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:07 AM
daddykirbs
Professional

Originally Posted by Jetboater
I installed an Airaid air filter and the tube and my fuel mileage dropped 1.5 - 2 mpg. It sounds good though. The company says up to a 400 cfm increase with the tube......if that's true, is the computer adding more fuel with it. The fuel is going somewhere.
This is interesting. My neighbor came over, while I was tinkering under the hood, and told me that if I add a CAI my MPGs will go down. I told him that I have "been reading" the opposite... that the MPGs will go up slightly.

There are a lot of claims of the MPGs going up with the CAI and Exhaust (just ordered the Magnaflow Catback)... but what about real world experience?

Who else has experienced a drop in MPGs after installing the CAI? Was it installed wrong? Was it the wrong one (IS there a wrong one?)?

I'm about to make this decision myself and want to be as informed as possible (yes, I have searched.. and will search some more). My reasons for doing the CAI and Exhaust are for MPG gains... ok, and I want to hear the rumble... ok... I want to see if it will go faster too.

Thanks for the input.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:57 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i just put my K&N in last week and reset my ovehead. Before the cai my mpgs where at about 13.1. now after the reset and a few days of driving it seems to have settled at 12.8. but its also winter and that was mostly city driving so i dont know how accurate it is, normally im on the highway alot but im on a break for school so im not doing highway miles at all.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:31 PM
BEAR
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by daddykirbs
this is interesting. My neighbor came over, while i was tinkering under the hood, and told me that if i add a cai my mpgs will go down. I told him that i have "been reading" the opposite... That the mpgs will go up slightly.

There are a lot of claims of the mpgs going up with the cai and exhaust (just ordered the magnaflow catback)... But what about real world experience?

Who else has experienced a drop in mpgs after installing the cai? Was it installed wrong? Was it the wrong one (is there a wrong one?)?

I'm about to make this decision myself and want to be as informed as possible (yes, i have searched.. And will search some more). My reasons for doing the cai and exhaust are for mpg gains... Ok, and i want to hear the rumble... Ok... I want to see if it will go faster too.

Thanks for the input.
its my opinion that once you get over hearing the rumble and seeing how much faster it'll go you will see a slight improvement on your mpg's. I think most people that put a cai on are mashing the pedal alot more to here the sound and feel the speed and so they lose mpg's. It's like when you get duals put on your truck, for the first little bit you want to hear the noise and let everyone else hear the noise so in doing that you loose mpg's.

Quick Reply: Intake tube only