3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Having regrets, but need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:17 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Having regrets, but need advice

Well, I love my 2008 Dodge Ram Hemi QC 4x4, however..... I'm wishing I spent the extra few bucks to get into a 2500. It's funny because I didn't even consider them when I was looking. I want to put a 6" or 8" lift on with some semi-aggressive tread. I'm tall and can easily get up in the back of the truck now without using anything. I can just step right up....lol I'm quiet flexible.

Anyways, do you guys think that I can set my 1500 up with a 6 or even 8" lift and not have any issue's as far as axle breakage, trans troubles...etc?
Will the dealer deny warranty claims for a bad transmission or transfer case with over sized tires? I was thinking anything 37" or bigger would look sharp. I was going with 4:56's for both front/back obviously.

Tax season is not far away and I've got a huge chunk'o'change coming. I don't want to take a ridiculous hit on the value of my truck since it only has 2800miles on it and I bought it almost a year ago. I'm thinking that a proper suspension lift with quality shocks will run almost $3k. I am looking to drop maybe $5k total into this pig including gears, tires..etc
I am not an avid off-roader, but I like to dip in here and there when I get a chance. Right now, the truck isn't made for anything more than some cobble stones and a lil mud, especially with the stock ride height and those 20's. However I do plan to keep the 20's with the larger rubber, but it's not even comparable.

I would like legitemate advice if I should throw the money into my truck. I plan on doing EVERYTHING myslef. So no labor costs involved other than my time which I have lots of these days.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might as well just put the work into the truck you have now. its brand new for god sakes. 2800 miles in a year! i thought i put on low miles. but do you really need a 2500? unless your going to start doing heavier towing,work or plowing its not worth getting one. thats great if you can do all the work yourself too. good luck.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

My last truck seen 5800miles in a little over 2years

I don't drive my truck around everywhere. I have other cars for that. That's why I am thinkin I should have got a 2500 for the hauling. I have done quite a bit actually.

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:33 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

As VScapes said, if you dont plan to use the 2500 for work, why bother. If you have a use for it why not look around for a NEW 08 2500 and at least see what kind of deal can be struck? It costs you nothing to check it out at least. If that costs more than its worth, fix up your 1500 as you want it. Just my .02

Old 01-07-2009, 01:37 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

Go with a 4 inch suspension with 35s if you go after market rims go with a 13.50 if not go with a 12.5, 456 gears front back with lockers maybe a winch set up in the front. screw going with 37's or 38's why just for the look not worth it in my opion.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Yes I understand all that, but I don't know if my truck can hack the abuse of even just mild off roading with that big of tires and low gearing? I supose it's like putting 35" tires and a 6" lift on a 4cyl Wrangler. breakage will occur...lol

That's mainly what I'm worried about

Old 01-07-2009, 01:46 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Yes I understand all that, but I don't know if my truck can hack the abuse of even just mild off roading with that big of tires and low gearing? I supose it's like putting 35" tires and a 6" lift on a 4cyl Wrangler. breakage will occur...lol

That's mainly what I'm worried about
Im no super mechanic by any means but to the best of my knowledge, the example you left would for the most part only be motor damage. Underpowered 4 popper trying to drag big tires, (had it happen on an old ranger years ago). Some of the lifts i have seen have beefier components in them and if your not a hardcore offroader, id say its safe to do what ya want without too much trouble. Nothing scientific or fact based from me here just the way i understand things. Look at DodgeNittos truck as an example. Hes got bigger tires and quite a lift.

Old 01-07-2009, 02:05 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

I agree with TANKZ and semigod. If you arent going to be doing some hard wheelin then dont go for the massive meats, its just not worth it and personally I think it looks rediculous when i see guys with HUGE lifts and HUGE tires, most of em prolly dont see any offroad use anyway. I would go for a smaller size, i like the look of TANKZ truck with the level and agressive tire, its simple but noticeable. And your truck should be able to handle mild offroading...as long as you know how to wheel. Ive had my stock truck on some rough fireroads and it does fine in 4hi. I would do more offroading with it but ive put too much $$$ into the front end. but its up to you as they say....your bucks...your mod...your truck,

Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up The frame on the 2500 makes it a beast.

No doubt the 2500 is built tougher. It also wont have MDS. When Dodge said "the 1500 was not designed to plow snow" was a dead give away why I went with a 2500 and I don't even plan on plowing snow. You can never have too much truck.

Last edited by Mystro; 01-07-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Mystro
No doubt the 2500 is built tougher. It also wont have MDS. When Dodge said "the 1500 was not designed to plow snow" was a dead give away why I went with a 2500 and I don't even plan on plowing snow. You can never have too much truck.
Yeah, thanks for making me feel bad....lol

I have my MDS turned off with the Predator so no big deal there.

Also, I don't want a massive lift with massive tires. However I don't want a big lift with tiny looking tires! Ya know, how Dodge used to equipt their 2500's with tiny rubber. Looked ridiculous

Quick Reply: Having regrets, but need advice