3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough country 6 inch lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 03:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't play around. If I'm off the road, it goes in 4wd. If the roads are slick, it goes in 4wd.

I know what you are saying. I know plenty of people that have 4wd and never even use it even in bad weather?WTF did they bother buying it for then?

There's no 2wd that will touch a 4wd with a locker on semi flat ground. Just from driving both 2wd and 4wd in many diff scenerio's. There's no doubt that a 2wd cannot compare to even a 4wd with an open carrier. You would have to get a specific angle and situation where the 2wd with a locker would go through something an open diff 4wd couldn't when offroad, like going at an angle through ditch's which is very common. There's a lot more leverage and traction with the front wheels grabbing the rock it's climbing over vs trying to push that tire over it as in 2wd compared to 4wd.

Shocks aren't too much of an expense for descent one's unless you get carried away. I bet the Rough Country shocks are better for towing/hauling for the street guy because i don't see how it could help out offroad if the suspension is gonna be a b*tch to give to crawl over rocks and ditches

Last edited by dirtydog; 01-08-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
TANKZ400
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I'm off road I never put my truck in 4x4 unless I'm just about stuck in 2wd if you get stuck in 2wd you always have 4x4 to get you out, when you go off roading in 4x4 and you get stuck right off the bat your screwed. Just they way I do it.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
74charger
Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I don't play around. If I'm off the road, it goes in 4wd. If the roads are slick, it goes in 4wd.

I know what you are saying. I know plenty of people that have 4wd and never even use it even in bad weather?WTF did they bother buying it for then?

There's no 2wd that will touch a 4wd with a locker on semi flat ground. Just from driving both 2wd and 4wd in many diff scenerio's. There's no doubt that a 2wd cannot compare to even a 4wd with an open carrier. You would have to get a specific angle and situation where the 2wd with a locker would go through something an open diff 4wd couldn't when offroad, like going at an angle through ditch's which is very common. There's a lot more leverage and traction with the front wheels grabbing the rock it's climbing over vs trying to push that tire over it as in 2wd compared to 4wd.

Shocks aren't too much of an expense for descent one's unless you get carried away. I bet the Rough Country shocks are better for towing/hauling for the street guy because i don't see how it could help out offroad if the suspension is gonna be a b*tch to give to crawl over rocks and ditches
Im not saying the 2wd will do better im just saying it will get through just about everything that a 4wd will get through for the most part it may be harder for the 2wd to do it the 4wd could probably walk throgh something where as the 2wd will have to floor it to get through but i took my truck wheeling stock with ****ty has a/t tires that there is no way they should be a/t and the guy who bought the tires went way way to small and i was still able to get through most of the stuff so with the off roading that i will be doing a lift and some big tires will get me a long way plus with ****ty ifs on a 4wd the front end brakes so easily if you hit anything with speeed so thats one bonus i wont really have to worry about and i will have so much travel on my front it. I dont question that 4wd will get you further but 2wd will do pretty damn good to if your smart

Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

yeah i dont use 4x4 until i am stuck. even with the blizzards we get here i dont use use it unless i cannot absolutely not move without it. all the times ive gone offroad ive done the same as tank and drive in 2wd until im in a compromise and need the 4x4 and its usually just needing 4x4 hi unless im daring. only really used 4x4 lo a handful of times playing around in deep snowy fields.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM
74charger
Veteran

yeah and if i did get stuck i would just get a little tug from one of the many guys i wheel with so a 4wd isnt really a necessity to me so i save a little bit on gas and get a little more props for gettin a dodge 2wd through the same stuff it took those damn yota's fords and chev's to get through using 4wd lol cus we all know there is no way they would make it through in 2wd

Old 01-08-2009, 04:35 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

because i want to gear up to 4.56s i wish i had a 2wd so it would be cheaper easier. but i got a great deal on my 4x4 and love it to death. anyways the rough country kit looks good and i have read good reviews but ive read nothing good from there shocks. everything ive seen has been negative. there are other kits out there that are priced out pretty fair for what you get compared to the fabtech kits.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:50 PM
74charger
Veteran

what other kits are there all ive been able to find for the 2wd is rough country, fabtech and cst but the csts are really exspensive its like 900$ american for a 4 inch cst lift and thats without shocks so they are deffinitly outta the question

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i forgot we were talking 2wd here sorry.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
oefootball_70
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2wd rough country 6inch lift. I didnt read the whole thing. If you have any questions send me a PM I am way too lazy.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM
CreativeOffroad
Captain

ProComp makes a 6" lift for 2wd trucks. I'm looking into all the kits you listed and am trying to decide between CST, Fabtech, and ProComp myself.

Quick Reply: rough country 6 inch lift