3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

7 plug harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 06:41 PM
bulletperformance
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7 plug harness

Ok so i was looking through a parts manual for my truck and i see the the 7 plug trailer wiring harness lokes like its a plug and play thing i havent got under my truck to look in detail but does it just plug and play i have the flat 4 plug now..?.? any thoughts?

Old 01-11-2009, 06:48 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean plug and play? What has the 4 pin harness? If you have a trailer with the flat 4 pin, you need an adapter to plug into the round 7 pin receptacle on your pickup.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:54 PM
bulletperformance
Professional

well by plug and play i mean that the picture from the parts catalog shows plugs on it.. i have a flat 4 in my truck now i thinks its hard wired .. i guess im asking is there plugs in the rear wiring for a 7 plug to go in or do i have to hard wire it.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM
we_the_unforgiven
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be a plug right under the bumper if your pickup has the towing package.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 PM
bulletperformance
Professional

its got a heavy duty frame mounted receiver

Old 01-11-2009, 08:33 PM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i have 2 plugs on flat 4 plug and another too. i also have the frame mounted hitch with a plug and i also have a plug on my rear bumper. i have never towed anything and never really looked at the connectors but i have a few extra wires harnesses in my glove box that came with the truck and was told they were part of the towing package.. never looked at it before though haha. maybe this harnes si have is something you need?? ill try and get pics. i geuss im confused with your question though.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

mine came with a flat 4 hardwired under the bumper, but also had the 7 pin outlet in the bumper. went to the dealer and got the 7 pin to flat 4 connector for $12 and eliminated the need for the hardwiring. sounds like maybe thats what your truck had done to it also?

Old 01-11-2009, 08:38 PM
rbrumm
Veteran

I think even if you do not have the tow package there is a factory split connection behind the bumper. If you can get a factory "pigtail" you can disconnect the factory split and "plug and play" the 7 plug into it. If you don't have plans to use trailer brakes and aux. power Hoppy makes a 4-7 adapter for the lights. What you may have to do is manually connect wires for aux. power and trailer brakes. My old chevy was that way, but my dodge came prewired with a 7 plug in the bumper and four plug behind the bumper. Hope this makes sense.

I see you are in Iowa, Mills Fleet Farm has alot of the wiring harness stuff on the shelf.

Last edited by rbrumm; 01-11-2009 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Add info

Quick Reply: 7 plug harness