3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replaced EGR valve and it still stalls

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Old School 1975
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced EGR valve and it still stalls

Hey guys. I've been reading this site for a while now, but finally need some help on a stalling issue I'm having.

I have 93,000 on my 2004 Ram 1500, 5.7 motor. I changed the plugs, changed the oil, changed the transmission fiters, and cleaned the throttle body at 89,000. Then around 91,500 miles, the check engine light came on and I went to get the code read. It was an EGR high voltage code. It died on my once before I changed it out, but other than that, I never noticed anything else from the check engine light being on.

So I got the part from the dealer and relaced it a few weeks ago. I reset the computer by pulling the Neg on the battery for about 15 mins. The light goes away and no issues. Well, when I leave the house in the mornings, about a mile from the house when coming to a stop at stop lights, it will stall out. It's done it 3 times. No check engine light comes on at all either. This morning was the worst, cause it cranked along time before finally starting.

I can get in later during the day and it's fine. It only seems to do it in the mornings, when it's cold out. I currently have 93,000 on the motor now. Nothing else is wring with it, it runs and drives fine. Just stalls out every few days.

So what could the problem be?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 01-14-2009, 06:06 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

List any mods you have, I feel you may be running too lean...

Old 01-14-2009, 06:08 PM
Old School 1975

Nothing done except a drop in K&N. Stock as it could be. It's my daily driver and if I want speed or loud exhaust, I have my 76 camaro. lol

I bought the truck with 7400 miles on it, and the only problem it's ever had was the oil pressure sending unit going out around 32,000 miles. Relaced under warranty and been fine since.

Michael

Last edited by Old School 1975; 01-14-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yours is a fairly common issue on our trucks with mods that advance the timing. Combine a couple like tuner, CAI & Headers and you run too lean. An engine MUST richen the mixture until it gets up to the temp of the thermostat or it will experience exactly what you describe.
I had it with all the above mentioned mods taking me down ALMOST lean enough to generate a CEL, but not quite. Here in Fl. it rarely get cold enough for me to stall when I stop at a light, but when hunting in the winter in Ga. it would happen.
Since it's not a mod issue, I still feel it's a lean A/F issue. Possibly a sensor or the PCM itself. In my case, rather than going the expense of a piggyback A/F controller or custom tune, I was able to band aid it with the simple and inexpensive lower temp thermostat (180*), the cooler t-stat fools the PCM into thinking it has to compensate and richen the mixture longer. You could try the T-Stat, since it won't hurt you and actually gives you a few minute benefits. Yes, you'll use more fuel, but we are talking a loss of no more than tenths or hundreths of an mile per gallon here.
Have someone measure your A/F ratio, see if it's in spec. My guess is you are running lean. I could be wrong, but I'd start there for sure...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:12 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

It may be the tune itself also...see if the dealer will update it for free. Mine would almost stall when coming to a stop (drop to under 400) but then the rpms would shoot up to 650 causing a surge and then it would hold 650. But ever since I installed the predator tune it smoothly goes straight to 500rpms and holds...too much of a coincidence for me.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

I thought about that too, but the low idle TSB was only an '06+ truck thing or so I've read. Plus if it's the PCM tune, it should have been doing it since day one, not start at 90,000+ miles.
My money is still on the A/F ratio...

Old 01-14-2009, 09:43 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Or a dirty throttle body that is sticking closed when cold. Might try cleaning it first.

Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Originally Posted by lxman1
Or a dirty throttle body that is sticking closed when cold. Might try cleaning it first.

He cleaned it less than 3k miles ago, thought of that too. NEXT!!!

Y'all ain't happy less you can prove the old man wrong, is ya'...

Old 01-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Toolman74

Sounds like it might be a intake leak. On a cold day when you know it will act up spray some propane along the intake where it meets the head. If the rpms slightly increase then you have an intake leak.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
He cleaned it less than 3k miles ago, thought of that too. NEXT!!!

Y'all ain't happy less you can prove the old man wrong, is ya'...
Ya ain't much older than me I'd bet. 41 here I must have missed the TB cleaning. Been a long day.

Quick Reply: Replaced EGR valve and it still stalls