3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine driven on-board air

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 09:22 PM
yhike
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine driven on-board air

Has anyone done a on-board air in the 3rd generation truck? I have done it on my Jeep and since I have york compressor sitting around it would be nice to have it on the truck as well. It would be nice to run my air tools or when ever I need to air up the tires.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

You can pressurize an old Propane tank with the proper nozzle hook-up. That will give enough air to fill up a few lbs in each tire from an offroading day where you would let some air out!

Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 PM
yhike
Professional

That would work in a pinch but I am looking for more the belt driven york compressor. I have it already on my Jeep but their has been times I wish I had it on my truck so I can work on the Jeep. I might just fab up a bracket so I get the york to work on the Hemi. Tomorrow I will go out look and see how or if I can mount a york comprressor.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:57 PM
galvatron
Amateur

not to be a weenie but, an old propane tank might fill a bicycle tire but is completely useless for truck tires. it doesnt have enough volume of air to make a difference. while im sure the york could be made to work the brackets and lack of space would be a challenge. ive heard of some electric pumps on older cars for the air suspensions 90's lincolns,caddy's etc being used for oba. i have no idea what kind of output they have, but 12v is easier to find than space to mount that york compressor. check pirate4x4 im sure someone over there has already found a way to mount that compressor. ill stick with co2

Old 01-25-2009, 09:43 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by galvatron
not to be a weenie but, an old propane tank might fill a bicycle tire but is completely useless for truck tires. it doesnt have enough volume of air to make a difference.

As stated, only a few lbs could be added. I have a smaller 20gal air compressor that I use as my portable around the house and take it with me for small odd jobs. All 4 of my truck tires only had 30psi since I let some out to test the waters for heavy snow travelling. I filled all 4 up to 40psi and the tank still had more than 50% volume left. A 15lb propane tank will hold enough air for that sorta job. It certainly won't run power tools, but will inflate a few lbs in each tire.

Another thing, do you really need to have an onboard air compressor all the time? That takes up room, is heavy and unless you are a construction worker or roofer, I just don't see the benefit of having something like that in there 24/7. Just seems very redneck'ish

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I carry a 12v compressor in the toolbox and a jump starter with 12v for extra power. Usually have a portable tank in the bed if I remember it and there's always a "ORV" size can of Fix-A-Flat plus a tire repair kit in the toolbox as well. I've given the "on board" compressor a thought more than once, because I have air bags, but I only use 'em maybe once or twice a month, so it's hard to justify the cost.
But damn, I hate you started this thread, because I've wanted this since it hit the market! Damn I gotta find me a "sugar momma"....

Old 01-25-2009, 10:22 AM
yhike
Professional

If I can get a bracket made for the york compressor then the rest is easy and I should only have about 200.00 wrap up it in it.

Here is a picture what I am going to do.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
yhike
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Another thing, do you really need to have an onboard air compressor all the time? That takes up room, is heavy and unless you are a construction worker or roofer, I just don't see the benefit of having something like that in there 24/7. Just seems very redneck'ish
We go out 4wheeling lot with the Jeep and sooner or latter stuff breaks and its nice being able to fix stuff right there or fixing someone else Jeep so I dont have to loan out the trailer. I would say it added about 60lbs to my Jeep if that and is a very clean install. I added a OBW (onboard welder) to the Jeep as well and we have used it several times fixing stuff on the trail.

Last edited by yhike; 01-25-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:21 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

on board air is very handy, especially if you spend time in desolate areas. If anyone has a 12v onboard air setup i would also be interested in seeing it...i have looked into it before, and the biggest factor is where to store the air tank. also, alot of lowered cars and trucks have 12v onboard air systems. my neighbor had a pretty handy setup on his s10 that was lowered. but, it required the large air tank in the bed, and i haul stuff so i didnt want to risk damaging the air tank.

Last edited by Redone4x4; 01-25-2009 at 11:22 AM. Reason: forgot something...
Old 01-25-2009, 04:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by yhike
We go out 4wheeling lot with the Jeep and sooner or latter stuff breaks and its nice being able to fix stuff right there or fixing someone else Jeep so I dont have to loan out the trailer. I would say it added about 60lbs to my Jeep if that and is a very clean install. I added a OBW (onboard welder) to the Jeep as well and we have used it several times fixing stuff on the trail.
That's good to have! I've been carrying a Mapp gas setup in the toolbox of my truck for a couple of years now. A lot more stable and easier to store that an Acetylene setup and almost as serviceable, although considerably more expensive to operate. I've not had to use it off road truck repairs, but have done a brazing job or two to items such as a box blade when it's busted in the field, well away from any power source. I've also found it to be very handy at the shooting range, where I can simple braze or weld a target holder without having to dismantle everything and carry it to a power source...

Quick Reply: Engine driven on-board air