3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ram QC Sub box and seat lift!!!! Check it out

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
you guys are crazy, dirty, that looks excellent.

Im have a guys build a box for me right now, hes using 3/4 mdf, and hes managed to achieve just barely shy of 1 cubic foot per sub... its possible.
Thank You. The guys building your box, did they remove the carpet or is that 1cu/ft on top of the carpet?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:07 AM
drw33079
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat lift and box.

Ok so you can achive close to 1 cubic foot of airspace. I was basing my measurements on what you had stated in your last post I did not have a lot to go on and maybe should not have assumed anything. How high is your box from the front lip and I will see what I can do about doing a CAD drawing and volume measurement so you will know exactly how much air space you have. I am pretty sure my system can do that. Your are right it is not a custom import show winning install though. I did say that my design was not for every one. Yes, the dual sub box design will have a divider. It actualy may end up being two seperate boxes so the system will be more flexable. What dual box would not have a divider??? I was actually surprised to see yours did. The part about not having enough room under the seat for the sub in my design is not true. I have had mine installed for over 3 months just to try it out and I have had no problems or complaimts from any passangers. Most being female actually liked it when I turned it up. LOL!!! You can remove it in less than 15 seconds if you need to haul something to keep from damaging the sub and it takes about 30 min. to an hour to install the seat lift and box not all day. I have detailed instuctions and I may include a template to use to move the seat back brackets up so that the seats do not just fall foward when you hit the brakes. You also have more storage room under the seat to store things if the box is not in and still have use of the storage compartments under the box. The back seat is more comfortable because the seats are reclined a few more degrees and not sitting almost straight up. There is also a little more leg room with the added height. I am sure your box sounds good. I mean you did use infinity subs which are not cheap and do sound good even if they were installed in .55 cubic feet. How does it do on the really low bass??? This design has its own pros that out way the cons by a mile. The kit was designed and improved by a fellow dodge owner (my truck and a friends truck) who wanted to design a box that anyone could install with out taking their truck out of comision for an entire day or two and I did just that. The box and lift have been used and tested in real world use not some factory test truck and been successful in two trucks not just one. You did a good job on your box dirty I am not taking that from you, but everyone can not do things like that. I personally can, but there are not many people out there that can do that and my design is another alternative to a custom built box that would cost at least $400 or more to have done at a local shop. Your box achives the purpose you wanted and my design does also.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
soccerman002
Amateur

Any pics of your setup with the rear seats installed and in the down position, just to see clearance?

Really nice work.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by drw33079
Ok so you can achive close to 1 cubic foot of airspace. How high is your box from the front lip
I pulled the measurements off of the sub grill. The front of the sub grill is 2.5"high and the back is 1.75"high The grill pushes into the seat a little to hold the bottom up and away. It does not effect the seat movement or hit anything to hinder passenger placement. I wanted the grill as high as possible with out doing that and it's exactly what I got.

What dual box would not have a divider??? I was actually surprised to see yours did.
Always a divider. It make the sub so much cleaner and crisp. It's just better sound and better for the woofer.

The part about not having enough room under the seat for the sub in my design is not true. How does it do on the really low bass???
I am running the subs off a JBL Crown BP1100.1 amp. It has a subsonic filter and the low bass is super clean. Hits clean and solid. I would rather have clean sounding music rather than overly distorted loud DB's. I can't stand that crap. People who have average stuff trying to make them do over the average things. Keep stuff within their limits!

I say not enough room because the use of a grill is not possible on most box's for the ram. I'm sure if I made my box even bigger, the bass would sound even cleaner, but the volume at which the music can be listened to would be diminished.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
matty_p
Professional
Default Subs

I wanna do a box also, but I don't want to ;ose my storage under the back seat (Keep a lot of crap under there.) Anyone tried to or done a box under the center console between the front seats. Looks like about enough room to fit a 10", and seems deep enough (almost 8") to get enough air flow.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by matty_p
I wanna do a box also, but I don't want to ;ose my storage under the back seat (Keep a lot of crap under there.) Anyone tried to or done a box under the center console between the front seats. Looks like about enough room to fit a 10", and seems deep enough (almost 8") to get enough air flow.

There has been costoms molds that sit in between the rear seat. Almost a console extender in appearance. A box can def be built inplace of the center console, but it will be completely useless . No storage, no seat. They do make them and sell them.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 AM
drw33079
Default Seat lift and box.

The bigger the box is not always the better the bass. In my experiments of box building over the past 16 years, I have built some boxes that were way to big and soundede awfull. I am actually going to try one more that is a little smaller with this design. I think it may tighten the high bass up just a little with out hurting the low bass. I am only talking reducing the size by around .10 cubic feet though to .88 cubic feet. I know I said you need closer to 1, but with these shallow mounts it may just work. I am going to do that today. I will let everyone know what happens.

Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Thank You. The guys building your box, did they remove the carpet or is that 1cu/ft on top of the carpet?
dang, sorry dirty, I havent really been watching this thread. hahaha

He did take the carpet out, when he took his measurements. He actually took pieces of cardboard to make a 'mold' of the curves. My box should be in, tonight or tomorrow night. This guy is excellent though, he does great work.

you guys are just mad cause his box is better then yours.. .

Old 01-28-2009, 04:05 PM
04-fourseven
Record Breaker

I am actually going to try one more that is a little smaller with this design. I think it may tighten the high bass up just a little with out hurting the low bass. I am only talking reducing the size by around .10 cubic feet though to .88 cubic feet. I know I said you need closer to 1, but with these shallow mounts it may just work. I am going to do that today. I will let everyone know what happens.
a little poly-pac wont hurt anything either....

Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 04-fourseven
a little poly-pac wont hurt anything either....
Actually it's preferred among enthusiasts. It allows the frequency waves to travel in longer paths.

Quick Reply: Ram QC Sub box and seat lift!!!! Check it out