3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

overdrive on in the city ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:48 PM
74charger
|
Veteran
Default overdrive on in the city ?

It might seem like a kinda dumb question, I just have no idea. I've never really done lots of city driving in my truck. But now that i've changed jobs I no longer have a company vehicle. I noticed this week that i went through the first 1/4 of my tank in only like 50 km (around 35 miles I think) and I was even driving really nice, rpm's very rarely went over 2000 and never went over 2500. So anyway's i guess im just wondering if i should click the overdrive off or does it make a difference at all. If it doesnt why am i gettin such terrible mileage, I am due for an oil change but i wouldnt think it would make that huge of a difference especially considering i went with a synthetic last time and 95% of my miles on this change were highway. Anyways thanks for your suggestions guys.

Old 01-25-2009 | 05:55 PM
SeMiGoD
Record Breaker

Personally i leave it on. Im averaging maybe 13 in town. DirtyDog disabled his MDS and claims better milage. Maybe you could fill your tank and put it in tow/haul mode and run it that way and see what happens.

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:03 PM
74charger
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by semigod
Personally i leave it on. Im averaging maybe 13 in town. DirtyDog disabled his MDS and claims better milage. Maybe you could fill your tank and put it in tow/haul mode and run it that way and see what happens.
Sorry guess i should mention i only have a 2003 1500 with the 4.7 and its 2wd so no tow mode or mds for me lol

Old 01-25-2009 | 06:12 PM
InfernoRedHemi
Veteran

I would go over the truck,check the tire pressure, air filter,etc.; because there are a lot of little thing that could effect MPG's.

And alway keep in mind that a truck will never get good gas mileage in the city or anywhere for that fact.

Old 01-25-2009 | 07:02 PM
74charger
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by InfernoRedHemi
I would go over the truck,check the tire pressure, air filter,etc.; because there are a lot of little thing that could effect MPG's.

And alway keep in mind that a truck will never get good gas mileage in the city or anywhere for that fact.
yeah its pretty cold here right now. suppose to warm up in a few days maybe i'll do a full check. Oh i wasnt expecting to get good mileage at all. But it seems like im only gonna get 100km for my first half of the tank, and that is bad no matter what you drive. Its like im using 50 litre/100km. I'll do a filter and oil change here soon maybe ill go with a k&n and then put some fuel injection cleaner in and stuff hopefully that helps. Id like to get about 350km to a tank in the city. I dont think thats unresonable. Who knows though maybe this is one of those weird tanks and i'll get 200km outta the secound half. and if you wondering that since its cold if i've been leting my truck warm up alot, then no not really maybe for a minute or two on the really cold days.

Old 01-26-2009 | 01:10 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

It's bloody cold here right now Not like it was a few weeks ago though....but yeah somethings wrong there with your milage for sure. I get about 600km out of a tank in a megacab, and for a while there i left my 4x4 on most of the time as my tires were bald.

Old 01-26-2009 | 01:13 AM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

I get better mileage with my 07 5.7 then I did with my 02 4.7.

Old 01-26-2009 | 01:49 AM
74charger
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by Stellar_D
It's bloody cold here right now Not like it was a few weeks ago though....but yeah somethings wrong there with your milage for sure. I get about 600km out of a tank in a megacab, and for a while there i left my 4x4 on most of the time as my tires were bald.
600km is that city or highway and what size tank do you have ive got the 100 litre?

Old 01-26-2009 | 02:04 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider

yeah the 02 4.7 i had doesn't even come close to the mileage i get in my 04 5.7...hell, my 05 5.7 gets bout the same mileage as my 4.7 did....like the others said already, check the basics for sure and go from there

Old 01-26-2009 | 03:25 AM
Stellar_D
Rookie

Originally Posted by 74charger
600km is that city or highway and what size tank do you have ive got the 100 litre?
600km is city, but with deerfoot and glenmore trail (i'm assuming you know being from calgary). if i'm driving normally not during the stop and go rushour from where glenmore starts at sarcee all the way to deerfoot north to 32nd ave, i get about 10-12L/100km. but the rest is pretty stop and go, and with it colder it also seems a little less efficient.

according to a website its 34 gallons which converts into 128.7 liters. sounds about right anyway.

also put on 33" tires.

Quick Reply: overdrive on in the city ?