3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID kit dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 08:20 PM
mellino19
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID kit dilemma

Alright here's the deal:

A friend told me about a website he got an kit HID from, ddmtuning.com, they sell a bunch of different HID kits and they have awesome prices so I ordered a kit. At first I ordered just the 9007 kit by Apexcone because stupid me was unaware it's a combination bulb and had to return it for the hi/lo kit. I finally got the kid back TODAY (1/27) and got to install it with my dad. Thanks to the plug-and-play it was easy to install and everything worked fine and looked awesome....for about 45 seconds. Then I tried the hi beams and it shut off, put the low back on and they came back, then flickered/slowly strobed from there on out. So uh WHAT THE ****!? hahaha....I called the company and at first they started saying something about upping the fuse amperage by 5, when I told my dad, who's been a mechanic for god knows how long, he instantly knew they had no idea wtf they were talkin about. Then the guy said something about soldering a 100ohm 25w resistor to the factor wire harness which is just retarded. The whole plug-and-play idea just gets **** on with these problems. The guy said dodge has problems with HID's which should probably be ****ing mentioned on their website dont you think?

I just wanted to see who has also had this problem and what you did to fix it or if anybody has gotten an HID that worked the way it was supposed once installed. If you guys actually have kits that worked instantly (as they should) where did you get it from so I can order a real one........Worse comes to worse I return them and get the ghetto projector headlights on ebay for a hundred bucks lol

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited by mellino19; 01-28-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

fyi, dont ever say you were too lazy to search. atleast lie and say you tried searching. people on here hate when you dont make an effort.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:51 PM
RaiderJay6
Record Breaker

Common with your run of the mill cheap kits.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

cheapo kit. You need cancellors or go to radio shack and buy 470uf capacitors and wire them in. You can buy actual plug'n'play cancellors off ebay or HID stores. They are just a capacitor that stops flicker and bulb out warnings

Old 01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
mellino19
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdram43
fyi, dont ever say you were too lazy to search. atleast lie and say you tried searching. people on here hate when you dont make an effort.

i'll keep that in mind next time, I just typed it all up real quick cuz i was so pissed off about the kit being retarded

Old 01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
mdram43
Record Breaker

i hear you, a friend and I spent a combined 6 hours over 2 days bs'ing with my hid's. never got em to work, there going in the mail to be returned as soon as i get some free time.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 AM
mellino19
Rookie

Originally Posted by dirtydog
go to radio shack and buy 470uf capacitors and wire them in.

where do you wire the capacitor in? If I just need like 1 or two of them I may as well try that. Theres an big car audo/video place in my town that people all over boston go to and my friend knows ppl over there so I was thinking of driving down and seeing if they can work some magic...for under $75 lol

Old 01-28-2009, 06:26 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mellino19
where do you wire the capacitor in?
You wire them in the power supply. They soak up the power from the short bursts of flicker and even them right out. You can use larger one's, but I believe the 470's will be plenty. They shouldn't run that much at all. You will only need 2. You can go to Advance Auto or AutoZone and buy connectors for the whole thing so you can make a plug'n'play type connector kit. Connectors will run about $20 and then ofc ourse you need to wire them up.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
mellino19
Rookie

Alright so what I'm thinking of doing now is trying the warning code eliminator (like $18 on ebay) and see how that works. Then I'm going to eventually order these projectors from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories and replace the HID bubls from 9007 to H1 (because the light uses them and I can use the same ballasts...if DDM isn't a pain in the *** about it).

My friend told me projectors with HID's are insane...Of course my main priority to get my HID's working 100% first and I'll probably go over to H1's and projectors in the future...For now I'm gonna go with an eliminator kit and see how it works

Old 01-28-2009, 12:46 PM
pcollins
Veteran

Originally Posted by mellino19
Alright I'm sure there are 50 more threads about this but I'm too lazy to search
This is when I stopped reading.

Quick Reply: HID kit dilemma