3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: How would you improve short-communte in-town mileage?
Do nothing. Deal with it. You won't make up the cost of doing anything else.
42.11%
Use tow-haul
0%
Use a tuner
21.05%
Add a block heater (warm engine, closed-loop faster?)
0%
Do something else
36.84%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

In-town fuel-economy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Rojhan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In-town fuel-economy

Yet another variation on this question.

My truck is used as a daily-driver (until the weather gets nicer and I start riding my bike again). It doesn't see much highway mileage and when it does I'm generally at about 7-8,000 payload + tow. When I'm towing, I'm happy with the power and don't really care about the mileage; I'm either on the flats getting 10-11Mpg or I need to use the gas anyway.

In town is another story. My commute is about 6 miles each way and it's almost all stop-n-go (maybe 2 miles of "city" and 4 miles of stop-n-go). The transmission barely has time to get up to temp, but the engine is warm.

According to the overhead display (which, if not accurate, at least seems consistent), I get anywhere from about 9.5 to 12.5Mpg on the commute depending on traffic condition. The killer is the stop-n-go.

I've played with using tow-haul a couple of times, but not enough to see if changing the shift points help. I'm also considering a tuner, but at ~$350 and being generous with a 15% economy improvement, it would still take literally close to 2 years to recoup the cost.

I've noticed that there are a lot of opinions on the board ( > ) so, other than the poll, what are your opinions?

Thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 12:42 AM
rebel61021
Veteran

I have heard the best so far seems to be putting a electric fan in and taking out the fan and fan clutch. I am still waiting for the How-to for that becasue I am in the same boat you are in. would love to get even 2-3 mpg more town. Mine has gone as low as 7mpg by the over head when we had couple inches of snow on the ground. I am then thinking a Cool Air Intake is next then start working on the exhaust before getting a programmer/tuner. As for as the tow/Haul I though all that does is keep the overdrive from shifting in. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Tonyo88
Professional

In all honesty, I can't see much of anything making a real cost-effective difference. So I deal with it. When the weather's nice, I do the same and use the bike for fuel efficiency.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 AM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tonyo88
When the weather's nice, I do the same and use the bike for fuel efficiency.
Yeah, I make the argument that my truck uses less gas than even a Prius if you average "commute miles" over the course of a year vs the total gas I use for commute.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 AM
rebel61021
Veteran

I don't think it is fair I can't vote in this poll.....

Old 02-07-2009, 01:04 AM
Tonyo88
Professional

Originally Posted by Rojhan
Yeah, I make the argument that my truck uses less gas than even a Prius if you average "commute miles" over the course of a year vs the total gas I use for commute.
Haha well I've put on over 45000km just this past year on the truck, so every bit I can use the motorcycle for helps. Especially since I can make forty some-odd mpg on the bike in town, and around ten in the truck. Plus (and don't tell the HEMI this) there is nothing that feels as good as, or relieves as much stress as riding the bike.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Rojhan
Veteran

Originally Posted by Tonyo88
Plus (and don't tell the HEMI this) there is nothing that feels as good as, or relieves as much stress as riding the bike.
Cheater.
My bike is the muscle-powered kind. I get about 1500 miles/year on it and I'm trying to push it higher. It can actually be relaxing as well. My average commute time is actually about the same or better on the bicycle than the truck.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rebel61021
I have heard the best so far seems to be putting a electric fan in and taking out the fan and fan clutch. I am still waiting for the How-to for that becasue I am in the same boat you are in.
The best I have done is the electric fan. Improved my mpg a lot. And that DIY for installing the e-fan will be done before the weekend is over

Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Driver habits man...I know it's hard especially in stop and go but do what you can. Try to avoid full stops....so leave bigger gaps between you and the car ahead. Stay under 2000rpms when accelerating...switching to a 17" wheel would help too. Being that you have a 2500 QC 4x4 the mileage you're getting isn't too shabby. Other than that keep her maintained and you're good to go.

Old 02-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

9.5-12.5 isnt that bad. thats what i get, and i accept it. growing up we always had big block ford vans that got the same in town or stop and go driving. heck, I usually dont even get 12.5 on a really good day on the freeway. but the programmer has made a big difference, for me. as stated above, i do the shift at 2000 rpm and all that also, which does help.

Quick Reply: In-town fuel-economy