3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I really hate mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 12:52 AM
4.7Ram5.7Rango
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loving the ride parts/service. My first car was a fox/hatch 4banger. My first gt was a npi sn95 vert, that I reluctantly put facefirst into a tree Just so you can rant about it, pm me a mod list, slips, w/e. I can talk about them forever, even though I dont know 1/8 there is to know....

As matter of fact, Im loving both of your cars. Foxbodies are #1, those 300's are #1 'family ride'.

Gothemi, not sure exactly which one you're talking about, but of course you can make anything fast with fat enough pockets.
And, my brothers stock (well, drop-in k&n) 01 went 13.7@100, as fast or faster than most stock srt rams.

Someone take the stick from me, Im starting to beat a dead horse to death

edit: that run ^^ was, besides the k&n, stock down to the silencer, on street tires, full weight, and he's 6ft3 325lbs

Last edited by 4.7Ram5.7Rango; 03-26-2009 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:03 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1
But like them or not, the Mustang is the only pony car to stand the test of time. Yes, the Challenger returned (after 35 years/ Mitsubishi built cars do not count), and the Camaro was canned in 02 for lack of sales is supposedly coming back next year (uglier than ever).
Gotta call BS on that one. There is a car that the Mustang is supposedly trying to compete against that came out in 1953, and is soon to be blowing its competition out of the water. We call that a Corvette. It's a pony car, good old American muscle, it just so happens that the Mustang can't hang with it. And Dodge had to create a V10 to try and keep up with it.
The new Camaro is a sexy beast, I want one of those, and actually the killing of the Camaro was a smart idea. Drop it so that people buy all of the old ones, or the ones new back in 2002, completely rid their inventory, then take the car and completely recreate it from the ground up. Then with the hype for the Camaros coming back out, and with the motor they have, they are going to kill the competition. Perhaps the reason that Dodge is upping the big Hemi to a 6.4 or whatever size it is?
The Mustangs were known as the Muscle car, and I would like to have one of the old ones, but that Fox bodies are the last Mustang that I would ever own. At least Camaros had some class to them when they were in their ugliest stage. But Camaros also revolutionized the fuel economy for the muscle cars starting with their Turbo Z or Turbo II, can't remember which it was called off-hand.
And Parts/Service, of course everyone wants an old 302. Those were some of the best engines. One of my brother's friends got one of those that he dropped in an old Chevy, and that thing would roast the tires, and drop you back in your seat, but it had some work done to it.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

No, the Vette and Viper are not pony cars. The A.C. Cobra was the answer to the Vette. And blew it away quite easily.

None of which are affordable to hardly anybody. My Dodge dealer says he sells about 6 Vipers a year. At $100k each, I can see why
There was no small performance car built when the Mustang came out. The closest thng was the old Barracuda.
The 2 seater Vette is not and never has been in the same class as a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Challenger or Cuda!! These are Pony Cars, not Muscle cars. Muscle cars were Road Runners, Chargers, GTO's, Chevelles, 427 Galaxies, etc. Midsize cars with big engines shoved in them.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by lxman1
No, the Vette and Viper are not pony cars. The A.C. Cobra was the answer to the Vette. And blew it away quite easily.

None of which are affordable to hardly anybody. My Dodge dealer says he sells about 6 Vipers a year. At $100k each, I can see why
There was no small performance car built when the Mustang came out. The closest thng was the old Barracuda.
The 2 seater Vette is not and never has been in the same class as a Mustang, Camaro, Firebird, Challenger or Cuda!! These are Pony Cars, not Muscle cars. Muscle cars were Road Runners, Chargers, GTO's, Chevelles, 427 Galaxies, etc. Midsize cars with big engines shoved in them.
Then if the 'Stang is such a pony car, why do you try to classify it as some muscle car? And the Corvette wasn't always the muscle car, it was a pony car, but it's currently whipping up, or getting ready to whip up on the Viper, yet again. And as far as Corvettes, there are quite a few new ones sold around here, I see them quite frequently as opposed to our one Viper in town. And no, we aren't a rich industrious town, or place like the big cities where you would expect to find these cars at.
But when the new Camaros come out, once again, the Mustang will be in second place, not in first from default of a lack of competition.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:05 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ried69
But when the new Camaros come out, once again, the Mustang will be in second place, not in first from default of a lack of competition.
disagree. the new camaro is okay but not great. the interior is ugly. the new 2010 mustang is bad a. and will blow the camaro out of the water

Old 03-26-2009, 02:19 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
disagree. the new camaro is okay but not great. the interior is ugly. the new 2010 mustang is bad a. and will blow the camaro out of the water
Have you looked at any of the specs for the new Mustangs? I wouldn't be surprised if my truck would blow it out of the water. It was only showing 300 some horsepower.
The new Camaro has a smaller engine than the Challenger, and the same 0-60 time. So when GM decides to put something bigger than the little LS2 in it, it'll blow all of the competition out of the water.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Both of you were acting like ******** and if it was a GT, your *** would have been the one left in dust.... So it must have been a ***** mustang.

Last edited by Midnight SRT; 03-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:58 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Parts/Service
Cannot believe I read all 9 pages of this post.
We could argue HP to weight but the Mustang is still lighter and would not need as much HP to achieve the same results as the Ram, we could compare HP to HP and the Mustang would be quicker. We could compare mod for mod and the Mustang would still win. There is a reason you see more Mustangs as drag cars than you do Rams. They are easier to mod and less expensive to make faster.
I only have 3 pages to this post. I set it up in my personal profile that way.
Ofcourse any lighter car of the same exact hp/tq comparison will win.
Mod for Mod and a Mustang will win? Doubtful.
More mustangs as drag cars than Rams. Well that's because you said it already...Drag CAR.
Not all Mustangs are easier and foremost cheaper than a Ram. We're not in ancient times anymore. All Mustangs built 1996-current have Modular motors that are very complex compared to a standard old school pushrod and are very expensive to mod. Trust me, I own a Modular 4.6L Mustang.

NOW, you can have a 1200hp Modular Mustang and have it as a daily driver on pump gas. Cannot say the same for pushrod motors.Actually, pushrods need higher octane around 800hp.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight
Both of you were acting like ******** and if it was a GT, your *** would have the one left in dust.... So it must have been a ***** mustang.

Huh, what? That does not make sense, and to offer that sorta comment of childish behavior and then directly state that a GT would have left him in the dust is pretty contradicting.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 4.7Ram5.7Rango
Gothemi, not sure exactly which one you're talking about, but of course you can make anything fast with fat enough pockets.
And, my brothers stock (well, drop-in k&n) 01 went 13.7@100, as fast or faster than most stock srt rams.
I had the link under favorites but the url has since changed. This Ram was one of a kind. I think the engine alone was pushing $12K. It had a huge supercharger on top the engine, everything was chrome and polished. It was running like 9-10 1/4s. Man i hope i can find it again.

Originally Posted by ried69
Gotta call BS on that one. There is a car that the Mustang is supposedly trying to compete against that came out in 1953, and is soon to be blowing its competition out of the water. We call that a Corvette. It's a pony car, good old American muscle, it just so happens that the Mustang can't hang with it. And Dodge had to create a V10 to try and keep up with it.
The new Camaro is a sexy beast, I want one of those, and actually the killing of the Camaro was a smart idea. Drop it so that people buy all of the old ones, or the ones new back in 2002, completely rid their inventory, then take the car and completely recreate it from the ground up. Then with the hype for the Camaros coming back out, and with the motor they have, they are going to kill the competition. Perhaps the reason that Dodge is upping the big Hemi to a 6.4 or whatever size it is?
The Mustangs were known as the Muscle car, and I would like to have one of the old ones, but that Fox bodies are the last Mustang that I would ever own. At least Camaros had some class to them when they were in their ugliest stage. But Camaros also revolutionized the fuel economy for the muscle cars starting with their Turbo Z or Turbo II, can't remember which it was called off-hand.
And Parts/Service, of course everyone wants an old 302. Those were some of the best engines. One of my brother's friends got one of those that he dropped in an old Chevy, and that thing would roast the tires, and drop you back in your seat, but it had some work done to it.
I agree with lxman1. The mustang and vette wouldn't be in the same class. The term pony car is pretty much obsolete in the youth.

Corvettes look cool, but too bad they're made by gm; who has reached a point of almost no return. YAY!

Quick Reply: I really hate mustangs...