3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I really hate mustangs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:25 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

corvettes are for middle aged guys going through their mid life crisis. just cheap redneck horsepower. ill take a mopar anyday.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:49 PM
red06RAM
All Star

ill take a mopar anyday
I'll second that.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I only have 3 pages to this post. I set it up in my personal profile that way.
Ofcourse any lighter car of the same exact hp/tq comparison will win.
Mod for Mod and a Mustang will win? Doubtful.
More mustangs as drag cars than Rams. Well that's because you said it already...Drag CAR.
Not all Mustangs are easier and foremost cheaper than a Ram. We're not in ancient times anymore. All Mustangs built 1996-current have Modular motors that are very complex compared to a standard old school pushrod and are very expensive to mod. Trust me, I own a Modular 4.6L Mustang.

NOW, you can have a 1200hp Modular Mustang and have it as a daily driver on pump gas. Cannot say the same for pushrod motors.Actually, pushrods need higher octane around 800hp.

This is very true!! The old 289 HiPo had 271hp using the old method of rating back in the 60's. It was carburated, had solid lifters and needed to be revved high to make power. It also got crappy gas mileage.
Take a 4.6L (only 281ci) in 3V form. It makes 315hp (SAE), has good low end torque, no lifters to adjust and get's decent gas mileage while hardly polluting the air at all!!
Add 5lbs of boost and 450hp is easy.
Although I am old school and love the 5.0, These 4.6L and 5.4L engines are easy to make good power with. My biggest complaint is that they are too large dimensionally. Larger than a 460, especially a 4V engine.
These engines really like boost and react accordingly.
Look at an ad for a Paxton Novi-SL.
Base kit for a 86-93 5.0L est 275 crank HP (hell 225 stock)
Base kit for 05-06 4.6L est 420 crank hp. (300 stock)
145 more hp from 21 less CI.
These engines are very efficient.
The little 330ci engine in the GT500KR pumps out 511hp to the wheels (rated @ 540hp) and on drag radials will run 11:49@122mph bone stock. Not bad for a 4200lb car with driver.
The much larger 7.0L (427ci) Z06 Vette is only 505hp.

As for the new Camaro, it is a poor retro attempt. The Challenger is the closest of the 3 to the original. The LSx engines are great. They are pushrod engines, but are as efficient as the Ford modulars and make great power. The new supercharged ZO6 engine pumps out 638hp. It's just a shame that such great engines are put in such crappy built cars. They always have wiring problems and other electronic gremlins.

Modern technology is great!!

Just for the record, I am not trying to argue. I have been working on cars for about 27 years and have come to know what works and what doesn't.

DirtyDog,
Although I am not a fan of the 94-98 cars, yours looks good. The engine swap is a very clean installation. I'll bet it's a blast to drive as well with those power numbers.
We'll just agree to disagree on which body style that we like.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Huh, what? That does not make sense, and to offer that sorta comment of childish behavior and then directly state that a GT would have left him in the dust is pretty contradicting.
Um, I forgot to add a word there. Try "would have been". Easy to put together. What I said was not childish. I was stating a fact. NOTHING was contradicting. Get off of your high horse and sit down.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:04 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Got_Hemi44
I agree with lxman1. The mustang and vette wouldn't be in the same class. The term pony car is pretty much obsolete in the youth.

Corvettes look cool, but too bad they're made by gm; who has reached a point of almost no return. YAY!
Not anymore they aren't exactly in the same class. But that's because the Mustang can't keep up. They simply can't do it. GM on the other hand, they can. You put a 572 Big Block, and you got a winner. That's the most powerful engine out there, Mopar and Ford don't have any answer to it. Oh yea, Mopar has the 8.3L V10, but that's a V10, pushing 505 hp, the 572 is pushing either 620 or 720. GM just pushed too much power in the car to be considered pony car.

Originally Posted by lxman1
As for the new Camaro, it is a poor retro attempt. The Challenger is the closest of the 3 to the original. The LSx engines are great. They are pushrod engines, but are as efficient as the Ford modulars and make great power. The new supercharged ZO6 engine pumps out 638hp. It's just a shame that such great engines are put in such crappy built cars. They always have wiring problems and other electronic gremlins.

Modern technology is great!!

Just for the record, I am not trying to argue. I have been working on cars for about 27 years and have come to know what works and what doesn't.

DirtyDog,
Although I am not a fan of the 94-98 cars, yours looks good. The engine swap is a very clean installation. I'll bet it's a blast to drive as well with those power numbers.
We'll just agree to disagree on which body style that we like.
The Corvette went to a new standard in 1983, with the complete electronic dash. However, due to making something not yet done, they had the problems that year. And as far as any of the three, Camaro is very close to the same. The Charger is in completely last place. A 4-door, are you kidding? At least the Camaro puts in a wide range of engines, and they put a 6.0L pushing 400 hp in their car, and when they answer back to the 6.4L Hemi or whatever is next put in the Challenger, I expect a good 3 second 0-60 car.
And I too am not arguing, it's just that I have always been a fan of the Camaro, and have wanted one for as long as I can remember. If I would have the chance, I would trade my Dodge for a Chevy, assuming I haven't put too much money into it. For a smaller engine and better fuel mileage, I could have a 5.3L GM truck. But that's getting off-topic.
However, I will add to all of this hate talk on GM. GM overall produces better quality vehicles on power and looks. As with anything, each thing has little advantages over the other ones. But with fuel mileage compared to power, GM has surpassed our Dodges. I might be able to beat my buddies GMC in a race, but it wouldn't be by much, and I have more done to my truck. He also drives like a bat out of hell and gets 17 mpg 100% city driving.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:30 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ried69
Have you looked at any of the specs for the new Mustangs? I wouldn't be surprised if my truck would blow it out of the water. It was only showing 300 some horsepower.
The new Camaro has a smaller engine than the Challenger, and the same 0-60 time. So when GM decides to put something bigger than the little LS2 in it, it'll blow all of the competition out of the water.
alright compare the camaro ss which is the top of the line to the top of the line mustang. the gt500.
ss-426hp 0-60 4.9 sec
gt500-540hp, couldnt find the 60 time but its def. going to be quicker
this comes straight from the review. If you want to know which is the quickest of this new breed of American muscle–it's the Camaro SS. That is, until the more expensive 540 hp Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 arrives later this year.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/4309423.html

ill take the mustang...

Old 03-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ried69
Not anymore they aren't exactly in the same class. But that's because the Mustang can't keep up. They simply can't do it. GM on the other hand, they can. You put a 572 Big Block, and you got a winner. That's the most powerful engine out there, Mopar and Ford don't have any answer to it. Oh yea, Mopar has the 8.3L V10, but that's a V10, pushing 505 hp, the 572 is pushing either 620 or 720. GM just pushed too much power in the car to be considered pony car.
Mustang can't keep up? They're geared towards two different purposes. That's like saying the Honda civic can't keep up with a Lancer Evo off road. The mustang is a 5 seater daily driver where the corvette is a 2 seater weekend driver. gm makes junk anyway. Ford doesn't have an answer to it? Have you ever heard of a Ford GT? The 11th fastest production car in the world.

Last edited by Got_Hemi44; 03-26-2009 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:38 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight
Get off of your high horse and sit down.

you forgot the......."no pun intended"....lmao

Old 03-26-2009, 11:39 PM
SilverBullet08
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont even need the gt man ford answers with the gt500 or saleen

Old 03-26-2009, 11:43 PM
Got_Hemi44
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by SilverBullet08
dont even need the gt man ford answers with the gt500 or saleen
Those aren't factory. They're just modified through a license agreement with Shelby. If we are going to talk about not factory, just bring in the Hennessey Viper.

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...ctionReq=Where

Quick Reply: I really hate mustangs...