3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wanna whoop them chipped diesles!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 08:43 PM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

buddy of mine at school has an 07 duramax, long bed with the extra cab and only a mbrp exhaust. now, i dont like chevy or ford but the duramax is such a smooth motor with tons of torgue. we went out for lunch and my one friend was like lets see what this thing can do, so we pull on the highway and stomps it and the thing gets sideways just torquein out. such a swwet motor and the interior is nice too. but id say one of the best deisel motors has to be the 7.3 ford. thats probably the ultimate diesel work truck. my boss has a 2000 f350 with prolly 165,000+ miles on it and the damn thing keeps tickin, and thats years of snow plowing, heavy towing, and long trips upstate. hes replaced everything but the motor, its bullet proof and the torgue is awsome. but id love to have a Cummins one day...one day...

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:18 PM
Parts/Service
Champion

Go to see some diesel drags. Most racers run a CTD for a reason. They make lots of torque. Very few Duramax's even come close to a CTD...

Old 03-29-2009 | 09:36 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by John M
You can turbo a Hemi, but like any add-on turbo it isn't anywhere near as good as a factory setup. Aftermarket programming methods just don't offer he same level of tuning control as an OEM setup. If there was a way to fit a Roots-style blower to a Hemi it'd be a lot closer comparison.
You don't know much about blowers do you ? A roots style is the most inefficient kind of blower there is. Turbos are more efficient at producing power.

And if you want to beat a chipped diesel, one word... JATO!

It works for them!

Old 03-30-2009 | 01:18 AM
kicker417
Veteran

no we where both at the light and he had a superchip on it and believe me there was a little struggle but i got him i have a video of it to let me see how to put in on here : )

Old 03-30-2009 | 03:12 AM
PETE_YK
Professional

If you cant beat em, play with em!

Old 03-30-2009 | 09:23 AM
V_Scapes
Record Breaker

i dont think sinkin all that money into a hemi is worth it just to beat deisel trucks, its pretty silly actually.
forget the deisel trucks and concentrate on whoopin the toyotas and chevys out there!!

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:04 AM
spedly

I like picking on diesels.

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:35 AM
turbolvr

Originally Posted by spedly
I like picking on diesels.
me too. Its too hard to find a gasser that can make a race of it. I do like that turboed viper truck, I'd have to turn my fueling box up to 8 or 9 to beat him!

Old 03-30-2009 | 10:47 AM
John M
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Hoss356
You don't know much about blowers do you ? A roots style is the most inefficient kind of blower there is. Turbos are more efficient at producing power.
Nope, I don't know anything about any kind of forced induction. Unlike those that regurgitate what they read, I actually modify vehicles. I supercharged a 4Runner (roots) which made it much more fun to drive. I've owned over a dozen turbo vehicles including two twin-turbo Stealths and a six Diamond Star vehicles. I'm finishing a 400whp buildup on the Subaru sedan in my driveway -- the same place I built a 500+ whp Supra a few years ago.

I know about efficiencies. I also know that if you want a Hemi to produce a diesel-like powerband (instant torque right off idle) and response, you're going to have to do it with a roots blower. You'll make more peak power with a turbo or centrifugal supercharger but it'll never have the "snap" a roots blower does.

Old 03-30-2009 | 11:02 AM
spedly

Originally Posted by turbolvr
me too. Its too hard to find a gasser that can make a race of it. I do like that turboed viper truck, I'd have to turn my fueling box up to 8 or 9 to beat him!
lol. We don't have a lot of real modded ctd's around here. The fastest I've seen one run is low 13s. There's 1 11sec single cab duramax I see every now and then. Other then that its usually my 2 buddies powerjokes. One runs low 13s and the other mid 12s on spray high 12s without it. They are pretty impressive for 8000lb trucks, but they should be with more then 6L and 30+psi of boost. hell if my truck had that i'd be in the low 10s high 9s

Quick Reply: Wanna whoop them chipped diesles!