3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wind Noise Issue SOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 06:30 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My only noise comes from my vent visors. I drive the highway everyday

Old 09-05-2010, 09:18 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I had to replace the drivers side door seal on mine also as it was torn.

Old 09-08-2010, 11:58 PM
ckapp
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like my wind noise is gone on the highway, glad i tried the door jamb first cause it was very easy to do. Granted i can hear faint, nearly inaudible wind noise but nothing like the torrent of air before the adjustment.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:28 AM
nx75080
Amateur

Ive worked in a body shop for years and "bending" the door is a common fix for alot of wind noises and water leaks.Where I work we actually call it the "GM shuffle" cause just about all the GM's made in the 90's had some sort of wind noise so we were always adjusting them.

For those that wonder about hurting the paint,your not actually bending the door,but "tweaking" it.Usually top right corner above window.You have a better chance of busting the window if you forget to put it down than the paint flaking.Manufacturers use a really good adhesion promoter in factory paint,so it will flex quite a ways before cracking,just like on plastic bumpers.
Most bodyshops will not charge or charge VERY little to do this to hopefully get your business next time you need something else done.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:17 PM
bigmac18
Veteran

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
WOW! there is NO WAY i'd bend the door....I just adjusted the catch plate and guess what?....no more wind noise.And no bending of the door.
Same here...5 minutes of my time and it worked like a charm

Old 12-26-2010, 02:43 PM
neil300zx
Rookie

Originally Posted by lstough
The designer of the hinge system should be fired, then shot. First there is no limit arm (like on most auto doors) to keep the door from bending the hinge outward when the door is forced opened beyond the limit the hinge itself will allow. When the door swings open hard, like when the wind catches it, the hinges bend away from the frame creating a new pivot point for the door. This is ever so slight but when extended to the top of the door it expands to about 1/4 inch. This in turn reduces the amount of pressure the door has on the rubber gasket causing air to leak in. When you take you Dodge to the dealer, they lie. The are very much aware of the design problem but will only adjust the strike system. Sometimes this helps slightly but is only temporary. Dodge wants you to go away and only come in with problems they can solve. It is suprising that since Dodge new about this problem from the begining, '04 model that they failed to fix it on future model. The service manager at Dodge did give me a tip on how to fix it myself which I tried and sure enough it worked. I read all the posts and suprisingly no one even thought of it. If you want the secret, Id be happy to share. Just contact me.
Why not just share it with everybody

Old 12-26-2010, 04:09 PM
bigred177

Does anyone get any wind noise on their sliding rear window? I think that is where my noise is coming from. I don't ever have anyone riding with me to tell me, it's not the driver's door though.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:47 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lstough
The designer of the hinge system should be fired, then shot. First there is no limit arm (like on most auto doors) to keep the door from bending the hinge outward when the door is forced opened beyond the limit the hinge itself will allow. When the door swings open hard, like when the wind catches it, the hinges bend away from the frame creating a new pivot point for the door. This is ever so slight but when extended to the top of the door it expands to about 1/4 inch. This in turn reduces the amount of pressure the door has on the rubber gasket causing air to leak in. When you take you Dodge to the dealer, they lie. The are very much aware of the design problem but will only adjust the strike system. Sometimes this helps slightly but is only temporary. Dodge wants you to go away and only come in with problems they can solve. It is suprising that since Dodge new about this problem from the begining, '04 model that they failed to fix it on future model. The service manager at Dodge did give me a tip on how to fix it myself which I tried and sure enough it worked. I read all the posts and suprisingly no one even thought of it. If you want the secret, Id be happy to share. Just contact me.
They did come out with replacement door seals. There is a TSB on this. These in combination of properly installed and adjusted doors will keep any air leaks out. Now if your doors are bent from trying to wedge things in between them to unlock them if you locked your keys on the inside, well then they are bent or warped and thats another issue.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise Issue SOLVED