3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hey guys, Couple of things if you don't mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009 | 01:43 AM
Ice-Forever
|
All Star
Default Hey guys, Couple of things if you don't mind

I haven't posted on here in a while lol, I usually just come here whenever I'm having problems and then forget about how chill and friendly these forums are, but anyway...here it goes.

1) Really randomly I noticed my truck getting really hot, almost to the point of red lining the temp gauge. After it cooled down I took off the radiator cap and to my amazement, there was no fluid in the radiator, or very little. However, the reservoir tank or whatever, was full to the line...So I talked to my friend about it, and he said he thinks it's prob the thermostat...I didn't have time to change it right then so I've been driving it anyway (after filling the radiator again, and making sure I don't drive it if the gauge is way hot). I've had to refill the radiator like twice though since then...Talked to my friend about that as well, and he said that if the thermo IS bad, it's not circulating the fluid like it should, and the water in the radiator is prob just getting so hot that it evaporates out or boils out. Today I changed the thermo out, which was a lot harder than I expected lol, took me a while;\ (I'm not the most automotive savvy person, but I like to work on my car when I can) and It seemed like it's circulating correctly now, and the temp gauge ran a little cooler, so it looks good, I guess I'll find out in the near future...Just wanted to get some thoughts on it.

2) I need to change the spark plugs on it, it's idling really rough and my check engine got coded for a misfire in Cylinder 4. Obv I am going to change all of them though. Travis told me that it COULD possibly be the coil to the plug? BUT he would try just the plugs first, since they are cheap. Problem is, I don't know how to change them. He said it's pretty easy, but there's something in the way that I need to take off first to get to them. Does anyone know where there is a guide that would lead me through it? Or do I just need to wait til he isn't busy and I'm not busy (That could be a while, and i want to get this done asap for my ease of mind)

3) I drive an '04 1500 4x4, it's only a 4.7 (I wish I coulda gotten a 5.7, but I just had to find a truck in a weekend cuz I needed to get back to school lol), but I feel like, especially after seeing other people talk on here, it's a bit slow? Is there anything I can do to make the truck a little more spunky, if you will haha? I don't know if that could be related to the plugs needing to be changed or what. Like I said, I'm not too savvy in this area.

Long read, I appologize, but I appreciate the input guys.

Old 06-27-2009 | 01:56 AM
RodeoRamCowgirl
Banned

Originally Posted by Ice-Forever
I haven't posted on here in a while lol, I usually just come here whenever I'm having problems and then forget about how chill and friendly these forums are, but anyway...here it goes.

Long read, I appologize, but I appreciate the input guys.
Your problem #1 - sounds like it was the temp gauge from how you are saying it, if its something else or was something in addition it will start to get worse, my only (that I can think of, Im sure the boys will chime in a little later as the peak time comes around) advice is keep an eye on it, if it starts spiking again to check everything around it and connected there. I know there are several knowledgeable people here that will help ya with a process of elimination should that be needed

Your problem #2 - I would think that your owners manual would have it, if not I'm sure something of a manual sort that I have gotten and sitting on my HD would help you, if you would like details on what I have - PM me. I have been studying them as well for prep for when I get under my own hood when she's here...

Your problem #3 - There is a lot you can do to your engine/exaust to open it up and give you more torque or HP... but that list is a long one, and I will leave that to the boys to run with, but something like a tuner, a new exaust, CAI are the most common (some the first ones I am planning for mine too)

Hope this helps some!

--Cow-Chick--

Old 06-27-2009 | 02:04 AM
Ice-Forever
|
All Star

Originally Posted by RodeoRamCowgirl
Your problem #1 - sounds like it was the temp gauge from how you are saying it, if its something else or was something in addition it will start to get worse, my only (that I can think of, Im sure the boys will chime in a little later as the peak time comes around) advice is keep an eye on it, if it starts spiking again to check everything around it and connected there. I know there are several knowledgeable people here that will help ya with a process of elimination should that be needed

Your problem #2 - I would think that your owners manual would have it, if not I'm sure something of a manual sort that I have gotten and sitting on my HD would help you, if you would like details on what I have - PM me. I have been studying them as well for prep for when I get under my own hood when she's here...

Your problem #3 - There is a lot you can do to your engine/exaust to open it up and give you more torque or HP... but that list is a long one, and I will leave that to the boys to run with, but something like a tuner, a new exaust, CAI are the most common (some the first ones I am planning for mine too)

Hope this helps some!

--Cow-Chick--
Yeah I realized it was a bit late when I posted haha, but figured people would get to it tomorrow some time. I'll check out the owners manual tomorrow and see if it has instructions for changing out the plugs.

Thanks for your input

Old 06-27-2009 | 09:55 AM
AF_HEMI
Champion

1) I'm 99% sure the problem is not the temp gauge (sorry cowchick). I've had this problem on other vehicles. Your friend is 100% correct with the thermostat diagnosis. Thats exactly what happens... fluid doesnt circulate, isolating the resovoir and evaporating the fluid out of the radiator. Changing the t-stat should definently fix it. If its still running super hot on occasion, change out the temp sender (cheap $10 part), and if that doesnt fix it, perhaps the water pump, but im really stretchin it here...it should've been fixed with the t-stat.

2) Your spark plugs are located under the ignition coils. You'll have to remove the air box, then the few bolts holding on the ignition coil on. Just look for your spark plug wires and follow them to the plugs...remove anything in the way. they'll need torqued to 15-20 ft. lbs.

3) There are more mods to gain performance than you can shake a stick at. Start with a cold air intake if you dont have one yet. Next, a free flowing exhaust would be in order (magnaflow or cherry bomb, NOT flowmaster as its just loud and more restrictive than stock). A tuner (superchips or diablo sport predator) will really wake it up also. Check out the FAQ section... its FULL of great info on power/visual mods and do-it-yourself how-to's. Good luck!!

Old 06-27-2009 | 10:12 AM
BEAR
Record Breaker

If there is no fluid being pulled out of the resovoir you also have a bad radiator cap, IMO. I would replace it too just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-27-2009 | 10:53 AM
Horseapples
Record Breaker

After chainging the thermostat (located where the bottom radiator hose goes into the block) make sure you bleed the air out of the cooling system, or an air pocket will form and you will go right back to over heating. Where the top radiator goes into the water jacket, there is a hex plug on top of the housing, remove this plug, fill antifreeze starts to come out, replace plug and finish filling the cooling system. 4.7's are also pretty good about blowing head gaskets, any funny smelling smoke from the tail pipe first thing in the morning?

Old 06-27-2009 | 10:55 AM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

good post af hemi.... but as long as ive been around youll always find that a everyone has there own opinion and mine is that flowmaster flows alot better than a stock muffler when it comes down to paper work maybe not but alot of us run them and were happy with flowmaster maybe when mine rusts out or shiats the bed ill try something different but as for the post i totally agree with af hemi on everything else maybe even shoot and buy a 180* tstat itll make your engine run cooler than the stocker....and as for the plugs youll have 8 and you dont have plug wires you got coils and theres 2 bolts that hold em down if i remember right and youll need a long extension to remove and replace i personally like the ngk v power plugs not expensive but work great should be able to change them in about 30 mins....

Old 06-27-2009 | 02:06 PM
Ice-Forever
|
All Star

Originally Posted by AF_HEMI
1) I'm 99% sure the problem is not the temp gauge (sorry cowchick). I've had this problem on other vehicles. Your friend is 100% correct with the thermostat diagnosis. Thats exactly what happens... fluid doesnt circulate, isolating the resovoir and evaporating the fluid out of the radiator. Changing the t-stat should definently fix it. If its still running super hot on occasion, change out the temp sender (cheap $10 part), and if that doesnt fix it, perhaps the water pump, but im really stretchin it here...it should've been fixed with the t-stat.

2) Your spark plugs are located under the ignition coils. You'll have to remove the air box, then the few bolts holding on the ignition coil on. Just look for your spark plug wires and follow them to the plugs...remove anything in the way. they'll need torqued to 15-20 ft. lbs.

3) There are more mods to gain performance than you can shake a stick at. Start with a cold air intake if you dont have one yet. Next, a free flowing exhaust would be in order (magnaflow or cherry bomb, NOT flowmaster as its just loud and more restrictive than stock). A tuner (superchips or diablo sport predator) will really wake it up also. Check out the FAQ section... its FULL of great info on power/visual mods and do-it-yourself how-to's. Good luck!!
Ok cool, I'm glad that that should fix the problem then. As for the radiator cap, it seemed to be fine from what I could tell...Went on snug and held pressure fine (When I took it off it was pressurized).

I guess I should have phrased that question differently about the mods. I know that there are way too many to talk about in a post haha. I meant what are some of the best "bang for your buck" upgrades that people usually knock out pretty quick.

Thank you for everyone's input, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 06-27-2009 | 02:38 PM
Hoss356
Captain

Originally Posted by BEAR
If there is no fluid being pulled out of the resovoir you also have a bad radiator cap, IMO. I would replace it too just to be on the safe side.
Totally agree with Bear, replace the cap first it could be that simple. I've had a car before that overheated due to a bad radiator cap, so it's just cheap insurance to replace the cap even if it doesn't fix the problem.

Old 06-27-2009 | 02:42 PM
Ice-Forever
|
All Star

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Totally agree with Bear, replace the cap first it could be that simple. I've had a car before that overheated due to a bad radiator cap, so it's just cheap insurance to replace the cap even if it doesn't fix the problem.
If the cap was bad would the system still hold pressure though?

I mean, I already changed the thermostat last night, but if it's still losing fluid and getting hot after a day or two, I will definitely try that next.

Quick Reply: Hey guys, Couple of things if you don't mind