3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A few questions - hitch and other electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Supergirl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A few questions - hitch and other electrical problem

Hi,

I'm a new 2002 owner and I have a few questions.

I was shopping locally and online for a hitch for the truck. I was told that for this truck, only the "under the bumper" hitches are available (not the ones that attach to the frame) and that i could trust them.

Now, after convincing myself that i would trust the hitch, i went to the local store to buy it and get it installed, but the guy said it won't be as easily, since the previous owner drilled the one of the holes on the step too big.
He said I could probably get away with a really big washer or if someone could weld the hole smaller or so.

Now, my first question is, is it true that these are the only available hitches, and would a frame hitch require using this exact hole?
If there are frame hitches, who manufactures them?

I need to tow a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with 1 - 3 sport bikes in it.

The electrical issues:

two of the fuses (32 and 36) are "bridged" with a wire. when i remove the wire, the tail lights don't work. is this a known issue?

also, my reverse lights don't work. (it's a manual transmission) i checked the fuses and the bulbs, but didn't check the switch yet. is this a known issue and where would i find the switch?
and could this be the reason my check engine is turned on?
i just heard about auto zone checking it for free, but i didn't go there yet.

Thanks for all the help. I really want to like this truck

t.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Try this for your touble codes.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...code-list.html

For the hitch.
http://www.curtmfg.com/index.cfm?event=hitch

It looks like they have frame mounted ones. They're different for long and short box trucks, plus there is the under bumper mount.

Summit even lists colored frame mount hitches for short box '02's.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CH...UP&prefilter=1

Last edited by Ramdamit98; 07-03-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM
ramhunter9
Banned

sounds like they are givin you the run arround because you are a girl. the only "non safe hitch it the ones that have a hole in the bumper where the ball goes those are not good, you find them mostly on smaller trucks like rangers and s-10's
amy under the bumper hitch should be attached to the frame if the hole is to big do not use a washer it will rub bang and over time will damage the hole itself and or the hitch.
your other option is to weld the hitch instead of bolting.

Old 07-03-2009, 03:21 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Frame mounted hitches are readily available from a variety of sources. Here's on example:

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...uscon/105.html

Do not simply use a ball mounted to the bumper, not safe for towing anything IMO.

Your bridged fuses sounds like someone "band aided" a problem.
Also the reverse lights are not a known issue, but all the same not uncommon, use a meter to track down where you have and don't have current.

As far as the code, get it pulled at auto zone, bring it here, there is a full listing of all codes in the FAQ section, and we'll go from there to tell you what you need to do to remedy it.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way...

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 PM
AF_HEMI
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey! welcome to the forum these other guys seem to have answered the hitch question pretty well, so i'll only add on the reverse lights not working. Manual Trannys have a sensor on the side of the tranny that sends a signal to the reverse lights. when the truck is put in reverse, it completes the circuit and sends the signal to the lights. you may want to check for that sensor (it would have 2 wires coming out of it, ground and 12v). If your sensor is good, check the wiring going to the light. good luck!!

Old 07-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Ramdamit98
Captain

There seems to be a difference on 02`s and early 03`s for hitches

Notes:
(1) Fits models built after 11-1-02

That being said there are still frame mount models. Just have to be a little more careful in finding one. Here`s the list of Summit ones that may fit your aplication. Curt lists two models (one for model for short box and one for long box) and Reese only shows one, at least at Summit Racing anyway.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...0/?Ns=Rank|Asc

Last edited by Ramdamit98; 07-03-2009 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems to me he might be partially right: http://www.leeparts.com/dodge_ram/ac..._receiver.html

Take a look at the installation instructions, going by that if you look up under the bumper the tubing should already be there attached to the frame and you just need that piece. That's the dealer my truck came from so I can vouch that they are reputable, if you call them up and give the parts department your VIN they should be able to tell you for sure what you would need.

As far as the codes Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts will let you use a code reader on your vehicle in the parking lot for free, just don't let them try to tell you what the codes mean (some of the stuff they have tried to pass off on me makes me wonder if the people who work there even have common sense).

Last edited by Altair; 07-03-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Supergirl

Thank you all very much!!
This is a lot of information that I needed!

I am checking out the links to hitches that you posted and I will make sure to call before I order to make sure it's the "big" hitch

I went to AutoZone and the code is P0556, according to the list it's

P0556 Brake Booster Press Sens Circ Range/Perf

Could you help me decipher this as well, please

Thank you all so much! I hope I'll be able to help out with something...

t.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:10 AM
Bluesmanjesse
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Supergirl
Thank you all very much!!
This is a lot of information that I needed!

I am checking out the links to hitches that you posted and I will make sure to call before I order to make sure it's the "big" hitch

I went to AutoZone and the code is P0556, according to the list it's

P0556 Brake Booster Press Sens Circ Range/Perf

Could you help me decipher this as well, please

Thank you all so much! I hope I'll be able to help out with something...

t.
Recently a lot of people were promised pie after voting for Hammer in the TOTM contest and didn't recieve it, maybe you could teach him how to bake a pie(I swear I dont mean that in any sexist way)

Seriously though get yourself a frame mounted hitch. As far as the wiring goes is there anything added that would be an additional load that they are trying to bypass or did they jumper it to get power to a dead spot in the fuse box? I have read on here that the fuse boxs on these trucks can have issues,the only good fix is to replace the fusebox. I think sombody said they were like $60 bucks but I could be wrong on the price I'm getting old and senile.

Old 07-04-2009, 03:57 AM
SPARTANENGINEER1701
Professional

did someone put a new cd player in the truck,or cut and splice a trailor harness in?

switch in tranny yes look at that,pull out and get some one with a DMM
digital multi meter to check for a short to the housing of the switch

Hammerz21 pic of the hitch is right ,look at ur bumper it will tell u how many pounds
pull weight it can do,it also will tell u load weight,one is pulling the other is the downward force of the weight due to gravity,it can handel

The recommendation of hooking just to the bumper is careless and dangerous.

if by chance ,there is a harness on the bumper all ready ,which sounds like there is.remove it and hook wires back up to factory position,then try those tail lights,if fuse blows theres a short to frame ,most likly a burned wire

have a pro put harness in ,jumpering fuses will lead to fire,and burnt computer
circuits.

1 thing never ever use black tape on a harness,get eletrical putty and weather resistant coating,or heat shrink the connections together.
some run wires into weather tight box and use terminal strips to make it work
great for trouble shooting.

good luck

Quick Reply: A few questions - hitch and other electrical problem