3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess I had better leave the resonator on for now since I won't be getting a programmer until sometime next summer. After the 24th I go back to a college student budget. lol. When I get a programmer and can disable MDS I might remove the resonator then.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:19 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Good plan!!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:13 PM
hemipower05
Professional

Originally Posted by OlDirtyJohn
i have an AT3030 on mine, no resonators, and an opened up Y pipe. sounds amazing. next to no drone at all in the cab, and a mean a$$ growl.
did u have ur exhaust bumped up to 3inch? i had a flowmaster 40 series welded on my stock exhaust n its quiet as hell.... kinda embarassing.... and would the at3030 be louder than the at3030xl? or is it the other way around?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:51 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

I think the AT3030 would be louder that the AT3030XL since the XL has a built in resonator, but I'm not sure. I'm just going by the videos I've watched online.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 PM
davb673
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 40 delta on my Ford Taurus, which made it sound really good. I've been searching for dyno charts on mufflers, and finally found one last night. Interesting, there really isn't THAT much difference between several makes...
http://www.v6z24.com/howto/mufflerchoice?*
This next site just takes the top hp numbers and compares them, but does have some other useful info listed:
http://www.clubtitan.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54797
Since my 4.7 doesn't spin to 6grand, I'm not to worried about those top numbers.
I forgot, the Flowmaster 3.5" 40 series flows about as much as a 4.7L engine does at full chat, and I was really thinking about squeezing the pipe ends down and welding one of those in my truck...

Old 08-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Dodgeboy328
Veteran

Originally Posted by Dodgeboy328
Yeah, but you don't have MDS on your truck. That's why I'm having such a time making my mind up on the resonator. I have no idea what the exhaust would sound like with the MDS engaged. MDS is the only thing holding me back from taking the same route as you minus the Y-pipe. I think if I mess with anything from the cats up I'll void me lifetime powertrain, but I'm not sure.
I take back what I said about not getting the Y-Pipe redone. I just went and looked at it and I didn't realize it looked that bad. They look like someone took tried to crush the pipes them to get them into the collector. That can't be good for flow at all. And I was also wrong about Y-Pipe work voiding my warranty. I'm still used to my 98 where the Y-Pipe was between the cat and the manifolds. Hell I guess as long as I'm getting a Y-pipe and muffler I might as well get a complete cat-back.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
HoustonDodge

If you are indeed looking to just stick a different muffler on, do what I did and put a flowmaster on for 50 bucks and dump the pipes after the muffler. I did mine that way and it sounds BADASS. Also you have no tailpipes showing which I think is awesome and you get a little better sound. People come to me ALL the time and comment on the sound of the truck wondering how I got it that way. All I did was go to a shop and the dude cut off my stock muffler and put the flowmaster in and dump it. I get a little drone while accelerating but when I get to speed it goes away totally. If you were in Houston Id come show ya since obviously you cant replicate the sound over speakers. Anyway you can get a SWEET sound for little money.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:02 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Why put a crappy aluminized system on a new truck that is already stainless?
Stick with stainless. That $50 rustmaster will only last a few years. Been that route on my last truck, never again. The Magnaflow Y is a nice piece. The rest of the stock 08 exhaust is already 3" The pipe between the Y and muffler is just a straight piece of 3" pipe. That's why I left it on the truck when I installed my cat-back instead of using the one that came with the kit.
Name:  Canonclean-up067.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  139.0 KB

Quick Reply: Exhaust