3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 AM
SilentRamAD
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tuned93
drop shackles and remove the overload leaf... that will give you pretty much a perfectly level stance. or if you dont care about a .5'' rake, just do the drop shackles.
2wd ST trim package, No overload leafs that I can think of. I'm thinking of getting these http://moesperformance.com/index.php...ducts_id=12307 and if I have a small rake after that then perfect, a quad and/or bike would put it just right. I'd just stiffin up my shocks. And on that note, would stock shock length be fine with those shackles?

Originally Posted by jusjay727
buy 20"s the tires are a hundo cheaper per tire than 18"s my buddy works at a tire place and the 18s are more expensive than 20 tires....
As for the 20's I'd drool for ATX Artillery Teflon Black 20's (How would these set the truck up for these tires ? Offset -12mm, BS 4.56") wrapped in 285/50R20 Nitto 420S rubber, or even 305/50R20 NT420S' if they'd fit . . . any thoughts ? This would all happen after my stock tires go bye bye because by then the truck will be payed off

SRT 22's with NT305/45R22 I can dream can't I ?

Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't run the 305 series so won't say how they fit. But with my 285/50-20's I can say that it is a very close fit. The front inter fender wheel is not very high. Using the stock bumps, will keep you from rubbing. But the isn't much travel, I cut the cups and installed cut polyrethene bumps. But cut about a 1/4" too much from them.This is a picture of that attempt.
This gives a great ride, but under extreme compression I could touch the inter fender well. I redid them making them 1/4" taller and haven't rubbed again. It is right on the edge so may take a slight adjustment truck to truck. The rear, I used this setup.
They are modified polyurthene bumps. It's close but I'm not rubbing now. More drop than to 2/4.5 you will need to use narrower wheels and some serious mods IMO.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion

stock shocks are fine with drop shackles, those mc g shackles are great and that price is prolly the best you'll find, you should have an overload leaf im pretty sure every truck has one....but i would honestly just by 20"s any tire size will fit as long as you dont stuff some 35 aggressive tire id have to go out and look to see what im running to be exact but i know i got a taller tire and they work fine with my set up....and theres nothing wrong with dreaming i'd love to have some srt 22"s

Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by jusjay727
stock shocks are fine with drop shackles, those mc g shackles are great and that price is prolly the best you'll find, you should have an overload leaf im pretty sure every truck has one....but i would honestly just by 20"s any tire size will fit as long as you dont stuff some 35 aggressive tire id have to go out and look to see what im running to be exact but i know i got a taller tire and they work fine with my set up....and theres nothing wrong with dreaming i'd love to have some srt 22"s
Yea, I should mention my 285/50-20's are 30.5 inches tall. So the width becomes the next restriction. As a side note I also had a rub before I got the camber properly adjusted. When that was sorted it no longer touched. My goal it to be able to run at well above normal speed on back roads and not rub. lol, Don't ask... it's a country thing

Old 06-27-2010, 09:11 PM
SilentRamAD
Veteran

RedTruck, having to modify the front bump stops. Does that have to do with lowering the front end and running the tire set up you have ? or is that at stock height? Because I don't intend on lowering the front at all, just the rear to level it out(rather than get coil spacers for the front).

What are the specs of the wheels your 285/50-20's mounted on?

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by SilentRamAD
RedTruck, having to modify the front bump stops. Does that have to do with lowering the front end and running the tire set up you have ? or is that at stock height? Because I don't intend on lowering the front at all, just the rear to level it out(rather than get coil spacers for the front).

What are the specs of the wheels your 285/50-20's mounted on?
I hope I can explain this well. I have 2" drop spindles in the front which make the suspension travel stock, but it loses 2" of clearance to the fenders because of the spindle drop. I never liked the stock limited front travel. So regardless if you drop the front or not I would recommend removing the cups and using aftermarket bump stops to increase front travel a little. This really improved drivability on my truck. The rear can be leveled with a stock front with only the short shackles and O/L removed. I replaced the rear shocks with a shorter shock when I used the drop shackles. May not really need them but mine were shot so I selected shocks that specifically fit my application. Good luck....

Old 06-28-2010, 12:33 PM
crazyed3333

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Crazy,
Your truck has a great look to it. Matter of fact, I would say perfect. Tires/wheel spot on... If you go back through some of my postings in the lowered thread you can see pictures of the bump stops I used. I think I am running about as big of a tire as you can without rubbing. 285/50-20. I knocked the bump cups off the front and have aftermarket stops now. The ones in the picture for the front are about a 1/4" too short and I re-did them and made them a 1/4" taller. Good luck...
red

Thank you for the kind words on my truck. The wheels i love. I traded a friend my stock 20s for them. They are 20 x 10 Boyd Coddingtons. I do have a couple of questions about the front bump stops though. How difficult is it to remove the stock front bump stops? Also how do the aftermarket ones go on? Are they welded on or bolted on? I am not sure what to expect. I am thinking the truck is gonna drop about a 1/2" or so when i remove the stock front bump stops. So my next question is will the stock front shocks bottom out with the shorter bump stops or should i do the front shocks and bump stops at the same time. Thanks For the help.

Eddie

Old 06-28-2010, 12:49 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by crazyed3333
red

Thank you for the kind words on my truck. The wheels i love. I traded a friend my stock 20s for them. They are 20 x 10 Boyd Coddingtons. I do have a couple of questions about the front bump stops though. How difficult is it to remove the stock front bump stops? Also how do the aftermarket ones go on? Are they welded on or bolted on? I am not sure what to expect. I am thinking the truck is gonna drop about a 1/2" or so when i remove the stock front bump stops. So my next question is will the stock front shocks bottom out with the shorter bump stops or should i do the front shocks and bump stops at the same time. Thanks For the help.

Eddie
Crazy,
Th front bumps stops are in metal cups which are welded in two opposing sides. I cut the rear weld were it was easy to reach and then just bent them back and forth until the other weld broke. I then ground the broken welds down and threw some paint on them. Under the cups are a hole and the aftermarket bumps have a threaded stud and can easily bolted in place.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-9101G/

The bumps will not change the height of your truck unless you are already sitting on them and that would mean your coil springs have been cut.
Good luck....

Old 06-28-2010, 03:55 PM
crazyed3333

Originally Posted by RedTruck-VA
Crazy,
Th front bumps stops are in metal cups which are welded in two opposing sides. I cut the rear weld were it was easy to reach and then just bent them back and forth until the other weld broke. I then ground the broken welds down and threw some paint on them. Under the cups are a hole and the aftermarket bumps have a threaded stud and can easily bolted in place.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ENS-9-9101G/

The bumps will not change the height of your truck unless you are already sitting on them and that would mean your coil springs have been cut.
Good luck....
Yeah the truck is riding on the bumps up front. The DJM kit that i got uses 2" drop coils.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:24 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by crazyed3333
Yeah the truck is riding on the bumps up front. The DJM kit that i got uses 2" drop coils.
With cut springs I would say you diffinently need to use the aftemaket bumps to get some suspension travel back. Removing the bump cups is not a big deal and will really improve the drivibility. Good luck. The last set of bumps I bought at a Auto Advance store.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....