3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lowered Trucks: tech and info....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM
BadHab1t
Grand Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for that gen 2 dodge...you can get a fairly in expensive 2/4 from some sites...

Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 PM
shortburb
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I learned something, ill give some background for reference.

my truck is an 04 singlecab 4wd. I dont know if this applys to 2wd trucks

The steering rack will top out BEFORE the suspension hits the bumpstops in the front. you can only drop the truck so far before you need to do a bumpsteer kit (which puts the tie rod ends UNDER the spindle) in the front.

I broke my rack when I had the truck on the front bumpstops for 5 miles. It just has a limited amount of upwards travel.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:16 AM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by shortburb
So I learned something, ill give some background for reference.

my truck is an 04 singlecab 4wd. I dont know if this applys to 2wd trucks

The steering rack will top out BEFORE the suspension hits the bumpstops in the front. you can only drop the truck so far before you need to do a bumpsteer kit (which puts the tie rod ends UNDER the spindle) in the front.

I broke my rack when I had the truck on the front bumpstops for 5 miles. It just has a limited amount of upwards travel.
I am not following what you mean. I've been on my front bumps for years and finally removed them two years ago. Made the ride much better.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 PM
shortburb
Rookie

2wd or 4wd?

my truck is 4wd. I broke the rack AS my truck was on bumpstops.

the only thing I can think of is that in a 2wd the rack sits higher up in the chassis....

I need to look under a 2wd and check it out

ANybody have any front end (without the tire on) pics/care to take some?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:11 AM
MOusafLRT03

dannnnnnggggg... new guy here to forum and i shall hanging out on this long a$$ thread as i get closer to doing my 2/4 drop. yeah, yeah, i know... you'll wanna go lower once ya get the bug, but i already know i'm not going any lower. i like the looks of the 2/4's better than the lower ones. just not my bag, baby. nothing against those cause everyone loves their truck their way. plus, i can't afford to do things like c-notches and whatnot, so i'll be doing the least i can to lower the truck and still retain ride quality if not better. i would love air ride trailing arm but that'll have to wait a LONNNGGGGG time. there are quite some awesome looking trucks on this thread. lots of ideas from ya all. thanks

Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
tuned93
Record Breaker

lets see some pics of your truck...

Old 03-18-2010, 09:17 PM
MegaCabTodd
Default Megacab Drop

Ok guys i am new to this site and I just spent the last 3 hours reading this thread. I have a few questions for you guys. I have a 07 Megacab 1500 2WD SLT. I want to do a 2/4.5 drop with spindles in the front and flip kit in the back. The question that I have is that I can't seem to find the spindles for my truck. After looking at my spindles they look very similar to the McGaugheys. I think the only difference is the bearing hub but I am wondering if it will bolt to the lowered spindle. It has three mounting bolts like the others. Well guys let me know if you have any ideas.

Thabks.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion
Default spindles

Originally Posted by MegaCabTodd
Ok guys i am new to this site and I just spent the last 3 hours reading this thread. I have a few questions for you guys. I have a 07 Megacab 1500 2WD SLT. I want to do a 2/4.5 drop with spindles in the front and flip kit in the back. The question that I have is that I can't seem to find the spindles for my truck. After looking at my spindles they look very similar to the McGaugheys. I think the only difference is the bearing hub but I am wondering if it will bolt to the lowered spindle. It has three mounting bolts like the others. Well guys let me know if you have any ideas.

Thabks.
Isn't the Mega cabs based on a 2500 chasis? I would call McGaugheys and talk to them about fitment.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
shortburb
Rookie

new pics. I cleaned up and flat blacked the wheels. its becoming an annual thing to refinish these wheels.
Name:  GetAttachment-7aspx.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  46.8 KB

Old 03-18-2010, 11:57 PM
RedTruck-VA
Champion

Originally Posted by shortburb
new pics. I cleaned up and flat blacked the wheels. its becoming an annual thing to refinish these wheels.
Welcome! It's good to see a regular cab short bed. I like the black, but not a big fan of black rims.

Quick Reply: Lowered Trucks: tech and info....