3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spectre CAI gets real hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 AM
HemiCOP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectre CAI gets real hot

Is anyone using the Spectre 9932 CAI, I have had mine for about a week and I noticed that my IAT reads pretty hot, with the stock intake the IAT would range from 60-80 degrees. I noticed that the Spectre reads from 70-124, This is basicly a big metal tube and it seems to absorb the heat fairly quikley. I also noticed that for every 2-5 degree increase on my IAT the timing retards about 1-2 degree's.

So my question is, has anyone wrapped there tubes if so with what and where did you get it and how well did it work. I was thinking about getting some header wrap and trying that. Possibly making a heat shield? any thoughts?

I have heard of a powerwire? does this/will this work ?

Old 07-28-2009, 07:51 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

The powerwire tricks the PCM into thinking the air temps are about 20 degrees less than what they are.

Where are you getting you IAT numbers from? A SC tuner?

And yes you can wrap the tube and insulate it although IMO it would be an eyesore

I have something similar to yours but the only time I notice my temps rise is when the truck is sitting and idling and not pulling fresh outside air.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:43 AM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

a big metal tube will do that...that's why a good intake isn't a big metal tube. I don't know if header wrap is what you want, but some insulation would be good. maybe even some sort of spray?

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

plastic be the way to enlightenment man plastic makes it possible.... make ur tube out of pvc seen that done a lot its cheap and u cant paint it whatever color u want.... make sure and use that purple pvc stuff when you are fitting the joins though and make sure to rough up the pipe if u do paint it or it will chip off

Old 07-28-2009, 11:41 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The idea that a hot metal tube hurts intake temps seems to make sense, except that its flawed.

Air is an insulator -- a poor conductor of heat. The air in your intake tube simply moves too quickly to absorb any heat from the tube around it. Intake temps rise at idle because the air under the hood gets hotter and that's where you're getting the air from.

Metal tube, plastic tube, or hollowed out log -- the intake temps will be within 1 degree for a given intake point. So much for anybody's marketing hype.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

well now I feel like a jackass lmao....

Old 07-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Spokane_Dodge
Rookie

Originally Posted by John M
Intake temps rise at idle because the air under the hood gets hotter and that's where you're getting the air from.
+1. Make sure your filter is in the best location for drawing in the coolest air possible (tucked in the corner where the original air draw was seems to be the best).

You could also build a heat shield around the air intake location if you want to try and stop it even further.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:03 PM
xfeejayx
3rd gen Ram, Newbies

Originally Posted by John M
The idea that a hot metal tube hurts intake temps seems to make sense, except that its flawed.

Air is an insulator -- a poor conductor of heat. The air in your intake tube simply moves too quickly to absorb any heat from the tube around it. Intake temps rise at idle because the air under the hood gets hotter and that's where you're getting the air from.

Metal tube, plastic tube, or hollowed out log -- the intake temps will be within 1 degree for a given intake point. So much for anybody's marketing hype.
metal isn't an insulator. ever hear of an air cooled engine? what about an air to air intercooler? AIR moving over METAL=heat transfer. convection is a biatch. its not going to make the 40 degree difference you are talking about (filter location may in fact be the big issue there), but it isn't nothing.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spokane_Dodge
+1. Make sure your filter is in the best location for drawing in the coolest air possible (tucked in the corner where the original air draw was seems to be the best).

You could also build a heat shield around the air intake location if you want to try and stop it even further.
The spectre intake is almost identical to the AEM/mopar which places the filter in the corner and comes w/ a heat shield. The intake tube is aluminum and it does soak up the heat, but I think it's minimal once you get moving. HemiCOP are you still getting higher temps w/ the spectre once you get up to speed?

Old 07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What you guys are saying means nothing unless the OP tells us where he is getting those numbers from and under what conditions he is getting these numbers? For instance, if its 90* outside and youre going down the road at 70mph, what are the temps reading on the IAT?

Sitting there and idling? Of course they are going to go up. You would be sucking the heat of the engine. That pipe can get as warm as it wants but it isnt going to heat the air going through it at a high speed that fast.

Quick Reply: Spectre CAI gets real hot