3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
countrygirl4X4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the problems started about a week after that- but like i said the mechanic said he thinks they were unrelated since i had no water in my oil?

he thinks that my thermostat got stuck- but we shall see.

i talked to the dealership today- they said that since i'm not having it done at their shop that they won't help with the labor cost- but that they will see what they can do about everything else, i just have to send them an invoice.

if i hear one more time that they will 'see what they can do' i may go crazy.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:32 PM
chambers
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda strange that the t-stat would just get stuck one day, but that seems like a good explanation. If just the radiator was clogged I imagine it would take a little longer to overheat. Either way it's a good idea for anyone who owns one of these trucks to change the coolant at the recommended 5 year/100k mile interval to prevent corrosion which can lead to overheating. I really think the dealer should cover this under their warranty, and they should pay for it to be done at a Dodge dealership. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:41 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by countrygirl4X4
yeah the problems started about a week after that- but like i said the mechanic said he thinks they were unrelated since i had no water in my oil?

he thinks that my thermostat got stuck- but we shall see.

i talked to the dealership today- they said that since i'm not having it done at their shop that they won't help with the labor cost- but that they will see what they can do about everything else, i just have to send them an invoice.

if i hear one more time that they will 'see what they can do' i may go crazy.

A T-stat is considered "internal engine components" in my books so that would mean, your warranty would cover the damage?????

Dealers will tell you anything to get you out the door without actually commiting to fix the problem on hand. Seems like your gonna need a lawyer to get them to reimburse you.
Again, i would report them to the BBB if they give you a hard time when all is said and done.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

First ... Sorry to hear about your truck... but pulled up some info I gathered through the years in the car business... Please understand that you will need to verify this info... but I think you were in California and this is what I had for that state

Used cars that are bought for at least $3,000 are required to be repaired and serviced for free from the dealer for a minimum of 60 days or 3,000 miles depending on which one of these conditions is reached first. Used cars bought for less than $3,000 are required to be repaired for free from the dealer a minimum of 30 days or 1,500 miles depending on which one of these conditions is reached first.

Now if they said all internally lubricated parts and did not specify what was covered... Well they screwed up, but more than likely there was a sheet in the window "buyers guide" that would list the specific components that are covered. Ask to see this form. It will list the parts covered in the "inclussionarry" warranty. Check the law in your state regarding the required warranty. In my state I can not dictate where you get the car repaired

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Docwhitley
Rookie

Just looked again... and you are in NC

Did he have in the paperwork you signed
as is
with faults

and did you sign the FTC or buyers guide?

This will decide if you really have any shot here in your state

Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM
countrygirl4X4

my buyers guide states that i've got the 30days 1000 mile warranty
internal lubricated parts of the engine and tranny and that the work must be done at their shop. (they cover 50% of labor and parts.)

it also says that by law i may have rights by 'implied warranties'

Old 09-07-2009, 10:28 PM
countrygirl4X4

and i just looked at my miles at the time of purchase
and the miles when it went into the shop.

im about 300 miles over my warranty.

awesome.

fml.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 PM
05RamMan
Captain

Just in case anyone cares, This is the all data chart on that. Really you should have to worry about the one bank. If your lucky there is no warpage. I have never done any headgaskets on the 4.7 but I have fixed a few on different vehicles. Usually with all the correct tools, it only takes me 3/4 the stated time and thats with beer brakes.

Another option I havent seen On here that I have used with great success is that $8 can of gasket fix they sale at walmart. I have seen the stuff last 100K miles before anymore issues arrived. However it is very particular on how you use it, Absolutely no coolant can be in the system when you goto use it.

Last edited by 05RamMan; 11-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket