3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

From what I have read, the radiators get partially clogged causing the overheat issue which in turn, blows the head gaskets and can crack the heads.
Check for cold/hot spots in the radiator. I'll bet yours is clogged which caused the overheating issue.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:19 AM
countrygirl4X4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would a clogged radiator cause it to overheat extremely quickly?
it was at idle for literally 5 min and when i came back the temp gauge was pegged out.
it was blowing back white smoke for a few days every now and then, but i was told it was just water evaporating.

thanks everyone for all the advice- i literally feel at the end of my rope with this truck already.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM
alaskanzach

that sucks. ive got a 03 4.7 with 47k miles. guess i should trade it in at 67k haha

Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 AM
Hoss356
Captain

Did the problems start before or after you submerged it?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss356
Did the problems start before or after you submerged it?

I think u misread. go back through and you'll see. the truck was not in a flood, but rather the "garage" is overwhelmed with work due to a large flood that happened.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
countrygirl4X4

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I think u misread. go back through and you'll see. the truck was not in a flood, but rather the "garage" is overwhelmed with work due to a large flood that happened.

actually in a previous thread i had asked about white smoke coming from the exhaust because i had gotten her stuck with the exhaust submerged....not sure if thats what you're talking about or if you did misread our water situation here a few weeks ago haha...

BUT the problems did start after i got stuck- however it was about a week after i got her stuck and the mechanic at the garage said he didnt think it had any connection.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:51 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by countrygirl4X4
actually in a previous thread i had asked about white smoke coming from the exhaust because i had gotten her stuck with the exhaust submerged....not sure if thats what you're talking about or if you did misread our water situation here a few weeks ago haha...

BUT the problems did start after i got stuck- however it was about a week after i got her stuck and the mechanic at the garage said he didnt think it had any connection.

submerging the tailpipe will just create a hottub effect in the water...lol Does nothing to hurt the engine.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like it was seeping when you bought it from the occasional white smoke and it finally let go. Unless it is fairly cool where you are, 50's or lower, you usually will not see any condensation white smoke.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:02 PM
countrygirl4X4

Originally Posted by lxman1
Sounds like it was seeping when you bought it from the occasional white smoke and it finally let go. Unless it is fairly cool where you are, 50's or lower, you usually will not see any condensation white smoke.

i wish it was 50s or lower here.
try high 80s + humidity haha

so call me an idiot- i dont know much about the internal workings of vehicles (yet)

if the heads are cracked- they are in fact covered by an 'internal lubricated parts only' engine warranty?

im going to have a LONG conversation with the dealership tomorrow- but i'd like to have so idea of what im dealing with first.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Hoss356
Captain

In a previous thread you stated, "long story short- it was submerged in mud/water for about 10 min (waiting for my buddy to come with his chain) it stalled once, and i immediately restarted the engine no problem. (while still in the mud hole) this was about 4 nights ago.

i had no problems immediately, but last night my engine light came on and it doesn't want to start up right away. and the first 30secs. - 1 min of running is shaky. I also noticed a white smoke once I got home and parked"

Did the problems start after this?

Quick Reply: Blown Head Gasket